K-Pod hands-on test opportunity; request for K-Pod application ideas

K-Pod hands-on test opportunity; request for K-Pod application ideas

If you're planning to go to the Visalia DX convention this weekend (dxconvention.org), please drop by our booth and give the K-Pod a test drive.

We're very interested in hearing about your potential uses for the K-Pod, including proposed macros (command sequences). Some of these might make great examples for the owner's manual. In the future, we'll also support general-purpose USB functionality involving additional equipment types. All ideas and opinions welcome.

Re: K-Pod hands-on test opportunity; request for K-Pod application ideas

Brendon Whateley
Perhaps a silly question, or just too early?

Will it be possible to repurpose this to use with other radios? It looks
like it is designed for the K3(S) but I could see it being useful for my
KX3, or possibly other home-brew radios? I suppose all that would be
required would be the protocol specification so that a DIY micro-controller
could do the translation to whatever would be needed.

Thanks,
- Brendon
KK6AYI

On Apr 14, 2016, at 8:06 AM, Brendon Whateley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps a silly question, or just too early?
>
> Will it be possible to repurpose this to use with other radios? It looks like it is designed for the K3(S) but I could see it being useful for my KX3, or possibly other home-brew radios? I suppose all that would be required would be the protocol specification so that a DIY micro-controller could do the translation to whatever would be needed.

In theory you could use either the RJ12 data jack or the USB port for this with the right firmware and interfaces. That's what we were alluding to ("future applications"). Keep those ideas coming!

Re: K-Pod hands-on test opportunity; request for K-Pod application ideas

Brian Broggie-2
Ok, so how do I connect a K-Pod to my K3 (pre-S)?

Brian, W6FVI

On 4/14/2016 9:26 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 8:06 AM, Brendon Whateley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps a silly question, or just too early?
>>
>> Will it be possible to repurpose this to use with other radios? It looks like it is designed for the K3(S) but I could see it being useful for my KX3, or possibly other home-brew radios? I suppose all that would be required would be the protocol specification so that a DIY micro-controller could do the translation to whatever would be needed.
> In theory you could use either the RJ12 data jack or the USB port for this with the right firmware and interfaces. That's what we were alluding to ("future applications"). Keep those ideas coming!
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: K-Pod hands-on test opportunity; request for K-Pod application ideas

Rick WA6NHC-2
So it's within the realm of possibilities that a device similar to the
K-pod could be made using the RJ-45, with a sound card added, for full
network access?  That would simplify remote ops or allow a tablet to
control or even more.  If you can control the radio via that port, the
K3/S is nearly at that point now.

Rick wa6nhc

On 4/14/2016 9:26 AM, Wayne Burdick [hidden email] [Elecraft_K3] wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2016, at 8:06 AM, Brendon Whateley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps a silly question, or just too early?
> >
> > Will it be possible to repurpose this to use with other radios? It
> looks like it is designed for the K3(S) but I could see it being
> useful for my KX3, or possibly other home-brew radios? I suppose all
> that would be required would be the protocol specification so that a
> DIY micro-controller could do the translation to whatever would be needed.
>
> In theory you could use either the RJ12 data jack or the USB port for
> this with the right firmware and interfaces. That's what we were
> alluding to ("future applications"). Keep those ideas coming!
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> __._,_.___
> Posted by: Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
> • Reply to sender
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20%5BElecraft%5D%20K-Pod%20hands-on%20test%20opportunity%3B%20request%20for%20K-Pod%20application%20ideas>
> • Reply to group
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Re%3A%20%5BElecraft%5D%20K-Pod%20hands-on%20test%20opportunity%3B%20request%20for%20K-Pod%20application%20ideas>
> • Start a New Topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Elecraft_K3/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZWtwam1hBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzE0NjA2NTExODQ->
> • Messages in this topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Elecraft_K3/conversations/topics/26738;_ylc=X3oDMTM3cGxjZjZmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAMyNjczOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzE0NjA2NTExODQEdHBjSWQDMjY3Mzg->
> (1)
>
> Visit Your Group
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Elecraft_K3/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMWhqNGR2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE0NjA2NTExODQ->
>

>   * New Members
>     <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Elecraft_K3/members/all;_ylc=X3oDMTJnYnYyaDVxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxNDYwNjUxMTg0>
>     8
>
> Yahoo! Groups
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZmVkODExBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMTQ5NDI4BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTQ2MDY1MTE4NA-->
>
> • Privacy
> <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html> •
> Unsubscribe
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe> •
> Terms of Use <https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/>
>
> .
>
> __,_._,___

Re: K-Pod hands-on test opportunity; request for K-Pod application ideas

Same way for either a K3 or K3S: Plug it into the RJ jack beneath the front panel.

On Apr 14, 2016, at 11:08 AM, "Rick WA6NHC [hidden email] [Elecraft_K3]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So it's within the realm of possibilities that a device similar to the K-pod could be made using the RJ-45, with a sound card added, for full network access?

No. The RJ12 jack on the K3/K3S front panel provides a nonstandard data interface that we use with the K-Pod and special firmware. The jack's other use is for loading firmware into the radio.

Re: [Elecraft_K3] Re: K-Pod hands-on test opportunity; request for K-Pod application ideas

Kevin Stover
Yeah sure...it's called a laptop.

--
R. Kevin Stover