K2/100 and KAT2

Edward A. Dauer
A question for those who have the K2/100 ---

I finished building and am now becoming familiar with operating the K2/100 and the KAT100-1.  It’s a great combination; but for portable work it’s heavy and there are two boxes.  At the time I bought it I did not purchase the KAT2 – the internal low power tuner.  My questions have to do with having both the KAT2 and the 100W amp. Installed at the same time.  I tried investigating this in the manuals but for some reason the link to the online KAT2 manual isn’t working tonight.

Two questions.  First, is there a physical space problem if a K2 has the 100W option, and the KNB2, and the APF/Clock option ,and the KAT2, or can the KAT2 stay on board even when the 100W amp is in place?  Second, does the system switch automatically from the KAT2 to the outboard KAT100-1 when the amp is in (or when the power exceeds the KAT2’s limit?)  What I mean to be asking is whether having the KAT2 inside will complicate the process of removing the amp to go “barefoot” with the base K2.  As it stands now it’s six screws twice, five plugs, and no configuration changes.  Does having a KAT2 on board add anything to that?

Thanks in advance . . .

Ted, KN1CBR

Re: K2/100 and KAT2

bdenley
Ted:
You might look into building the K2/100 in the 'Twins' configuration.  To switch from 100 watts to qrp just requires disconnection the power amp box.  This configuration allows the KAT2 to be used along with the high power tuner.  I built mine that way and it works very well.

Brian
KB1VBF
Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 15, 2016, at 10:56 PM, Dauer, Edward <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A question for those who have the K2/100 ---
>
> I finished building and am now becoming familiar with operating the K2/100 and the KAT100-1.  It’s a great combination; but for portable work it’s heavy and there are two boxes.  At the time I bought it I did not purchase the KAT2 – the internal low power tuner.  My questions have to do with having both the KAT2 and the 100W amp. Installed at the same time.  I tried investigating this in the manuals but for some reason the link to the online KAT2 manual isn’t working tonight.
>
> Two questions.  First, is there a physical space problem if a K2 has the 100W option, and the KNB2, and the APF/Clock option ,and the KAT2, or can the KAT2 stay on board even when the 100W amp is in place?  Second, does the system switch automatically from the KAT2 to the outboard KAT100-1 when the amp is in (or when the power exceeds the KAT2’s limit?)  What I mean to be asking is whether having the KAT2 inside will complicate the process of removing the amp to go “barefoot” with the base K2.  As it stands now it’s six screws twice, five plugs, and no configuration changes.  Does having a KAT2 on board add anything to that?
>
> Thanks in advance . . .
>
> Ted, KN1CBR

Re: K2/100 and KAT2

lstavenhagen
I researched this at one point also, and I believe you can't have them in there at the same time. There's not room for the KAT2 and the KPA100 both in the same top cover and I don't believe it'll even work electrically.

So you're pretty much stuck with one or the other and an external tuner in the case of the K2/100.

If I go QRO, I'm soon to have 4 10W rigs so I'm looking at the KXPA100 with a tuner in it. And just using that with all the rigs, one at a time of course. For my K2's, that'll involve putting in a keying circuit and of course that's going to be the 2-boxes thing when I go /p.

Haven't definitely decided on it, but that may be the most economical option for me.

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: K2/100 and KAT2

Kevin Stover
I'm going to be doing the KPA100 and KAT100-1 in the EC2 enclosure or K2
"Twins" and then look at the T-1 outboard tuner for any QRP wild hairs I
get.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

Re: K2/100 and KAT2

daleputnam

I currently have my K2-100 sitting on top of the KAT100... works fine. I also have a qrp lid for the K2 with its tuner. As soon as I can get an EC2, it will become, a K2 with qrp tuner, and a KPA100 with KAT100.. and a digital K2 alongside. Then I plan to do qrp portable or mobile... and .. well.. whose kidding who.. qrp at the house too.. but the EC2 will look great between the two, right?

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

Re: K2/100 and KAT2

Kurt Cramer-3
You guys are making this too hard. The 20 watt tunner mounts in the QRP K2 top. When you take off the QRP top off to put on the 100 watt amp the QRP tunner has gone away. I have both tunners and it is no problem going back and forth. The 100 watt runner has places for the K2’s feet to fit into on it’s top. So the K2 and tunner stay togeather. But the K2 will lift off. I made some side plates out of aluminum that go under both the K2’s sides and the tunner’s sides. Now if I pick-up the K2 the tunner comes with it.

Kurt/W7QHD

> On Apr 15, 2016, at 8:36 PM, Brian Denley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ted:
> You might look into building the K2/100 in the 'Twins' configuration.  To switch from 100 watts to qrp just requires disconnection the power amp box.  This configuration allows the KAT2 to be used along with the high power tuner.  I built mine that way and it works very well.
>
> Brian
> KB1VBF
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Apr 15, 2016, at 10:56 PM, Dauer, Edward <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A question for those who have the K2/100 ---
>>
>> I finished building and am now becoming familiar with operating the K2/100 and the KAT100-1.  It’s a great combination; but for portable work it’s heavy and there are two boxes.  At the time I bought it I did not purchase the KAT2 – the internal low power tuner.  My questions have to do with having both the KAT2 and the 100W amp. Installed at the same time.  I tried investigating this in the manuals but for some reason the link to the online KAT2 manual isn’t working tonight.
>>
>> Two questions.  First, is there a physical space problem if a K2 has the 100W option, and the KNB2, and the APF/Clock option ,and the KAT2, or can the KAT2 stay on board even when the 100W amp is in place?  Second, does the system switch automatically from the KAT2 to the outboard KAT100-1 when the amp is in (or when the power exceeds the KAT2’s limit?)  What I mean to be asking is whether having the KAT2 inside will complicate the process of removing the amp to go “barefoot” with the base K2.  As it stands now it’s six screws twice, five plugs, and no configuration changes.  Does having a KAT2 on board add anything to that?
>>
>> Thanks in advance . . .
>>
>> Ted, KN1CBR

Re: K2/100 and KAT2

Edward A. Dauer
I have the same at present, though with self-adhesive Velcro (the GA
pilot’s best friend.)  Horizontal trips on each side of the K2 and the
KAT100-1, and two short vertical strips mated to each side to hold the two
boxes together.

Knowing that the KAT2 mounts in the base K2 cover makes it all make sense;
I was unable to access the KAT2 manual to see that last night.

Another possibility for a quick conversion to QRPis to move both the
KAT100 and the KPA100 to an EC-2 enclosure and install the KAT2 in the
base K2.  I have seen references in the archives to the possibility of
doing that conversion, but they leave a number of questions open.  Once
the KPA100 is installed in the K2, is it possible to move it over to an
EC-2 with the KAT100?  If so, is there a procedure published somewhere?

Ted, KN1CBR

On 4/16/16, 8:40 AM, "Kurt Cramer" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>You guys are making this too hard. The 20 watt tunner mounts in the QRP
>K2 top. When you take off the QRP top off to put on the 100 watt amp the
>QRP tunner has gone away. I have both tunners and it is no problem going
>back and forth. The 100 watt runner has places for the K2’s feet to fit
>into on it’s top. So the K2 and tunner stay togeather. But the K2 will
>lift off. I made some side plates out of aluminum that go under both the
>K2’s sides and the tunner’s sides. Now if I pick-up the K2 the tunner
>comes with it.
>
>Kurt/W7QHD
>> On Apr 15, 2016, at 8:36 PM, Brian Denley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ted:
>> You might look into building the K2/100 in the 'Twins' configuration.
>>To switch from 100 watts to qrp just requires disconnection the power
>>amp box.  This configuration allows the KAT2 to be used along with the
>>high power tuner.  I built mine that way and it works very well.
>>
>> Brian
>> KB1VBF
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Apr 15, 2016, at 10:56 PM, Dauer, Edward <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> A question for those who have the K2/100 ---
>>>
>>> I finished building and am now becoming familiar with operating the
>>>K2/100 and the KAT100-1.  It’s a great combination; but for portable
>>>work it’s heavy and there are two boxes.  At the time I bought it I did
>>>not purchase the KAT2 – the internal low power tuner.  My questions
>>>have to do with having both the KAT2 and the 100W amp. Installed at the
>>>same time.  I tried investigating this in the manuals but for some
>>>reason the link to the online KAT2 manual isn’t working tonight.
>>>
>>> Two questions.  First, is there a physical space problem if a K2 has
>>>the 100W option, and the KNB2, and the APF/Clock option ,and the KAT2,
>>>or can the KAT2 stay on board even when the 100W amp is in place?
>>>Second, does the system switch automatically from the KAT2 to the
>>>outboard KAT100-1 when the amp is in (or when the power exceeds the
>>>KAT2’s limit?)  What I mean to be asking is whether having the KAT2
>>>inside will complicate the process of removing the amp to go “barefoot”
>>>with the base K2.  As it stands now it’s six screws twice, five plugs,
>>>and no configuration changes.  Does having a KAT2 on board add anything
>>>to that?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance . . .
>>>
>>> Ted, KN1CBR

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K2/100 and KAT2

daleputnam
Hi Ed,
 Yes, if the KPA100 and the KAT100 are mounted in the EC2 the qrp K2 can have the qrp tuner also. Then it is a matter of what you tell it to do by how it is connected.

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

> [...]

>>>have to do with having both the KAT2 and the 100W amp. Installed at the
>>>same time.  I tried investigating this in the manuals but for some
>>>reason the link to the online KAT2 manual isn’t working tonight.
>>>
>>> Two questions.  First, is there a physical space problem if a K2 has
>>>the 100W option, and the KNB2, and the APF/Clock option ,and the KAT2,
>>>or can the KAT2 stay on board even when the 100W amp is in place?
>>>Second, does the system switch automatically from the KAT2 to the
>>>outboard KAT100-1 when the amp is in (or when the power exceeds the
>>>KAT2’s limit?)  What I mean to be asking is whether having the KAT2
>>>inside will complicate the process of removing the amp to go “barefoot”
>>>with the base K2.  As it stands now it’s six screws twice, five plugs,
>>>and no configuration changes.  Does having a KAT2 on board add anything

http://wilcoxengineering.com/kpa100-in-ec2/

You've got to have the KIO2, an EC2 enclosure, and the KAT100PNL kit.
KIO2 goes in the QRP K2, KPA100 and KAT100 go in the new EC2 enclosure
which has the KAT100PNL kit installed.
Assuming you've got the KAT100-1 you can use the serial cable you built.
K2 end goes to the new KIO2, tuner end goes to either the KPA100 or the
KAT100, left over connector goes to PC.

On 4/16/2016 10:47 AM, Dauer, Edward wrote:

  Another possibility for a quick conversion to QRPis to move both the
KAT100 and the KPA100 to an EC-2 enclosure and install the KAT2 in the
base K2. I have seen references in the archives to the possibility of
doing that conversion, but they leave a number of questions open. Once
the KPA100 is installed in the K2, is it possible to move it over to an
EC-2 with the KAT100? If so, is there a procedure published somewhere?

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H
ARRL
FISTS #11993
SKCC #215
NAQCC #3441

---

Re: K2/100 and KAT2

EricJ
I have a setup exactly like the Wilcox Engineering setup. I have a
second K2 with the KAT2 installed just for QRP, but I've had it
connected to the KPA100 also. Works fine and is a very impressive little
package on the desk.

The Wilcox Eng. text says to be sure to power up the KPA100 before the
K2. I'd never heard that before.  I power both with the same power
supply recommended and sold by Elecraft. I hit the PS switch then the K2
front panel switch, so maybe that's what he means.

Eric
KE6US