K2 Antenna Questions

MyFord@nc.rr.com
I purchased my first Elecraft radio, which is a K2.  It has the auto antenner tuner, and some other options.  I have ant 1, ant 2, where tuner is and also antenna 50 ohm, and RCV Ant jack.  I have a couple antennas that I do not want to use tuner with, and was wondering which jack to use and then how to select it.

I am in the process of loading pictures of my K2, outside shot and inside shots, onto my QRZ page.  Please look and tell me what options I have too.

I think I have 160 addition, serial connector, antenna tuner, internal battery, and I don't know what else.

Thank you

Steve
KI4EZL

Re: K2 Antenna Questions

Guy Olinger K2AV
The DB9 connection **IS NOT RS232** on K2. Three of the pins **ONLY** carry
the main RS232 but they need to be picked off with a special cable. This is
in the manual which you can download from the Elecraft site.

** DO NOT CONNECT YOUR PC AND K2 WITH A REGULAR SERIAL CABLE **

You can cause damage in both units.

Haven't seen this warning on the reflector in a while. The other six pins
connect to an externally housed 100 watt amp and/or 100 watt antenna tuner,
and carry proprietary signals and voltages that have nothing to do with
RS232.

I have a battery K2/10 with the 100 w amp and tuner in an EC2 enclosure.
Very slick. Uses the Y cable in the manual to control the stuff in the EC2
box and talk to the PC from the non-standard DB9 which is not RS232.

Good luck with your K2 and 73, Guy K2AV

--
Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone

Re: K2 Antenna Questions

Steve,

If you have other non-resonant antennas, the easiest way to handle the
resonant antennas is to simply connect those antennas to the ANT1/ANT2
jacks, and do a TUNE into those antennas then operate.

You can instead change the ATU menu parameter to either CAL P or CAL S
and the L/C elements in the tuner will be bypassed.
Note that the Pout parameter retains the last used L/C combination, so
that is not a bypass situation.

You will not (and should not) use the BNC connector on the K2 lower
panel next to the key jack when the KAT2 is installed because you will
not have control over the output power (power will go to maximum and can
destroy the PA transistors).  Put a cap over that BNC jack.

Please refrain from calling that DE-9 connector on the back of the K2 a
"serial connector" - it is NOT.
Yes, it contains 3 wires that are compatable with RS-232, but it also
contains internal K2 signals to connect external Elecraft hardware such
as the KAT100, KRC2 and XV series transverters.
To connect with a computer, you must use a special cable.  If you did
not receive that special cable to the computer with your K2, you can
build it (you cannot buy it) from that shown in the KIO2 manual.