[K2] Assembly question

Randy Moore
I'm assembling K2 #7193 for a friend.   L5 is specified as a 33 uH RF choke (ORG-ORG-BLK).  The closest RFC I can find in the kit looks to me like BRN-BRN-BLK.  No RFC in the parts list is specified as BRN-BRN-BLK.  So the one I have found must actually be ORG-ORG-BLK, right?  I'm a little color blind, but haven't had any trouble with any other components...

73,
Randy, KS4L

Re: [K2] Assembly question

Don Wilhelm-4
Randy,

I can't tell from here unless you send a color photo.
May I suggest you ask a female friend to look at it.  The color
perception of females is generally better than that of males.

BRN BRN BLK would be 11uHy, and that is not a standard value.

On 4/26/2014 4:55 AM, Randy Moore wrote:
> I'm assembling K2 #7193 for a friend.   L5 is specified as a 33 uH RF
> choke (ORG-ORG-BLK).  The closest RFC I can find in the kit looks to
> me like BRN-BRN-BLK.  No RFC in the parts list is specified as
> BRN-BRN-BLK.  So the one I have found must actually be ORG-ORG-BLK,
> right?  I'm a little color blind, but haven't had any trouble with
> any other components...

I'd say show it to a woman except that can lead to, "Sort of a light
salmon, and the second one is more of a peach ..." :-)  I don't have any
color vision at all and my wife has now figured out that if I show her a
part and ask for the colors, I'm asking for pre-school color names, not
the names on her make-up.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

Re: [K2] Assembly question

gdaught6
Randy and Fred wrote...

> > I'm assembling K2 #7193 for a friend.   L5 is specified as a 33 uH
> RF
> > choke (ORG-ORG-BLK).  The closest RFC I can find in the kit looks
> > me like BRN-BRN-BLK.  No RFC in the parts list is specified as
> > BRN-BRN-BLK.  So the one I have found must actually be
> ORG-ORG-BLK,
> > right?  I'm a little color blind, but haven't had any trouble
> with
> > any other components...
>
> I'd say show it to a woman except that can lead to, "Sort of a light
> salmon, and the second one is more of a peach ..." :-)  I don't have
> any
> color vision at all and my wife has now figured out that if I show
> her a
> part and ask for the colors, I'm asking for pre-school color names,
> not
> the names on her make-up.

Another problem is that the paint colors are actually variable.  I can go out to my
resistor stash, and find 'orange' bands that range all the way to brown.  This isn't my
color vision causing a problem.  It could be aging of the paints they use, a lack of
standardization of color, etc.  And look at a resistor that's been overheated for a long
time.  Red goes to brown, orange goes to brown, green goes to brown, etc.  The
ohmmeter generally doesn't get confused by color differences, but I guess that doesn't
help for inductors.

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 4-5, 2014

Re: [K2] Assembly question

Phil Hystad-3
I just happen to be doing the W1 power meter kit and went through the
parts inventory the other night.  The 1 percent resistors had a dark turquoise
blue body and this radically changed the colors perceived for the color
coding.  Indeed, the same color, Orange, appeared orange on one of the
resistors but almost Tan on another resistor both with the same blue
body.

73, phil, K7PEH