K2 - KIO2 Question

stan levandowski
I have a K2/10.  I also have a K3/10.  If I purchase the KIO2 option for
the K2 can I use the same USB-Serial adapter cable I'm using with the K3
or do I have to buy the "KUSB" product listed right below it on the
Elecraft Order page.

Thanks and 73,

Stan WB2LQF

Re: K2 - KIO2 Question

Bob Nielsen-2

On Nov 9, 2012, at 4:46 PM, stan levandowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a K2/10.  I also have a K3/10.  If I purchase the KIO2 option for
> the K2 can I use the same USB-Serial adapter cable I'm using with the K3
> or do I have to buy the "KUSB" product listed right below it on the
> Elecraft Order page.
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> Stan WB2LQF

No, some of the signals on the KIO2 connector are used internally and are not compatible.  The KIO2 kit contains connectors and cables for making the connection (which can be to your USB-Serial adapter).

73, Bob N7XY
_____
Licensed since 1952

Re: K2 - KIO2 Question

Stan,

You certainly can use that same cable with the K3.  In fact, with the
K3, you can use a standard straight thru serial cable with the K3 (do
not try that with the K2).
If you have standard serial ports on your computer, use them, they are
less troublesome than the USB to serial adapters.

On 11/9/2012 7:46 PM, stan levandowski wrote:

> I have a K2/10.  I also have a K3/10.  If I purchase the KIO2 option for
> the K2 can I use the same USB-Serial adapter cable I'm using with the K3
> or do I have to buy the "KUSB" product listed right below it on the
> Elecraft Order page.
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
> Stan WB2LQF

Re: K2 - KIO2 Question

stan levandowski
Thanks, Bob!  73, Stan.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2012, at 4:46 PM, stan levandowski <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a K2/10.  I also have a K3/10.  If I purchase the KIO2 option
>> for the K2 can I use the same USB-Serial adapter cable I'm using with
>> the K3 or do I have to buy the "KUSB" product listed right below it
>> on the Elecraft Order page.
>>
>> Thanks and 73,
>>
>> Stan WB2LQF
>

> No, some of the signals on the KIO2 connector are used internally and
> are not compatible.  The KIO2 kit contains connectors and cables for
> making the connection (which can be to your USB-Serial adapter).
>
> 73, Bob N7XY
> _____
> Licensed since 1952

Re: K2 - KIO2 Question

Sorry,

I gave mis-information because of my cursory view of the question.

For the K2, you must use the special cable that is shown in the KIO2
manual.  That cable must connect RXD and TXD and *no* other RS-232
signals to the KIO2 connector.

Once you have constructed the KIO2 cable, you can connect a standard
serial cable to the "computer end" - there are no wires for other than
the TXD and RXD signals, so no danger.

Bottom line, do not connect any USB to serial adapter directly to the
KIO2 or the KPA100 -- the special cable must be used at the KIO2 end.

On 11/9/2012 8:33 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Stan,
>
> You certainly can use that same cable with the K3.  In fact, with the
> K3, you can use a standard straight thru serial cable with the K3 (do
> not try that with the K2).
> If you have standard serial ports on your computer, use them, they are
> less troublesome than the USB to serial adapters.

> On 11/9/2012 7:46 PM, stan levandowski wrote:
>> I have a K2/10.  I also have a K3/10.  If I purchase the KIO2 option for
>> the K2 can I use the same USB-Serial adapter cable I'm using with the K3
>> or do I have to buy the "KUSB" product listed right below it on the
>> Elecraft Order page.
>>
>> Thanks and 73,
>>
>> Stan WB2LQF

Re: K2 - KIO2 Question

Paul M Dunphy
On 11/9/2012 9:40 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> I gave mis-information because of my cursory view of the question.
>
> For the K2, you must use the special cable that is shown in the KIO2
> manual.  That cable must connect RXD and TXD and *no* other RS-232
> signals to the KIO2 connector.
>
> Once you have constructed the KIO2 cable, you can connect a standard
> serial cable to the "computer end" - there are no wires for other than
> the TXD and RXD signals, so no danger.
>
> Bottom line, do not connect any USB to serial adapter directly to the
> KIO2 or the KPA100 -- the special cable must be used at the KIO2 end.

     I'll be going down that road in a couple of weeks.  Just to be
crystal clear so I don't blow something,  I have a 4-port PCI serial add
on card in my PC.  4 extra DB-9 serial ports.  Is all I need is a male
to female "straight through" DB9 serial cable to connect one of these
ports to the K3/100?  (i.e. no cross over - null modem), just a computer
store standard serial cable with RX/TX and GRD (pins 2,3 and 7)?

     This for computer control.  No USB involved in my case, so it seems
really simple.  However . . . I don't want to let the smoke leak out of
anything.

73, Paul VE1DX

Re: K2 - KIO2 Question

Don Wilhelm-4
Paul.

Yes, for the K3 use a straight through serial cable.  Not a cross-over
or null modem cable.