K2 Transmit

Aaron K5ATG
I'm not sure if something is wrong or its my lack of experience. I just got
my K2 put together and sent it to Don to do some repairs and align it. Don
got it working good. I then got a Kenwood MC-43S microphone and hook it up
like Don told me to. I still have not been able to make a single contact
with it. I am using a inverted V dipole at 25 feet with a SWR of 1:1 across
the 20 Meter Band. The receive on the radio is awesome and I try to answer
CQ calls and get no reply, same as when I call CQ. I'm not sure what else
to check.
Thank you
Aaron SCOTT
K5ATG

Re: K2 Transmit

daleputnam
Hi Aaron,
  I can relate.. the band is a bit different today..
but if you have time.. I could meet up with you?
Where are you calling?

Have a great day,

--...   ...--
Dale - WC7S in Wy

> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 17:29:04 -0600
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] K2 Transmit
>
> I'm not sure if something is wrong or its my lack of experience. I just got
> my K2 put together and sent it to Don to do some repairs and align it. Don
> got it working good. I then got a Kenwood MC-43S microphone and hook it up
> like Don told me to. I still have not been able to make a single contact
> with it. I am using a inverted V dipole at 25 feet with a SWR of 1:1 across
> the 20 Meter Band. The receive on the radio is awesome and I try to answer
> CQ calls and get no reply, same as when I call CQ. I'm not sure what else
> to check.
> Thank you
> Aaron SCOTT
> K5ATG

Re: K2 Transmit

Frank Krozel
OK Aaron,
Put it on a frequency on 40 tonight and post it.  We all will listen for you.
Frank KG9H

> On Jan 7, 2016, at 5:47 PM, Dale Putnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Aaron,
>  I can relate.. the band is a bit different today..
> but if you have time.. I could meet up with you?
> Where are you calling?
>
> Have a great day,
>

> --...   ...--
> Dale - WC7S in Wy
>

>> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 17:29:04 -0600
>> From: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Subject: [Elecraft] K2 Transmit
>>
>> I'm not sure if something is wrong or its my lack of experience. I just got
>> my K2 put together and sent it to Don to do some repairs and align it. Don
>> got it working good. I then got a Kenwood MC-43S microphone and hook it up
>> like Don told me to. I still have not been able to make a single contact
>> with it. I am using a inverted V dipole at 25 feet with a SWR of 1:1 across
>> the 20 Meter Band. The receive on the radio is awesome and I try to answer
>> CQ calls and get no reply, same as when I call CQ. I'm not sure what else
>> to check.
>> Thank you
>> Aaron SCOTT
>> K5ATG

>> Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html <http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
> Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: K2 Transmit

Aaron,

Your K2 was tested with an Elecraft MH2 microphone which needs bias
voltage.  That Kenwood microphone is a dynamic type which should not
have the bias voltage applied.
Remove the left side panel and lift the end of the resistor soldered to
pin 1 of the microphone jack.

Since you have bias on that dynamic mic, it is probably distorting and
may be the reason for your 'no replies'.

Look at the LED bargraph as you talk.  How many LEDs are illuminated on
the peaks?  Those LEDs indicate the power output of the K2, and each one
is about equal to 1 watt for a QRP K2, 10 watts for a K2 with the KPA100.