[K2] Two questions

Randy Moore
Just installed the 160m module in a friend's K2 and made a couple of
observations.

1.  I assume this is working as designed (and has nothing to do with
installing the 160m module), but I found that the antenna setting
(ANT1/ANT2 from the KAT2 that was already in the radio) is not always
remembered over a power cycle.  It looks like it is saved if I switch
bands after setting the antenna and then doing a power cycle, but
otherwise it reverts to the previous setting.  My K2 does the same
thing, so I don't think its anything about my fiend's K2. So what are
the rules about saving ANT1/ANT2 over a power cycle?  Both K2's are
running the same firmware (2.04).

2. This one may be a problem.  I was testing the 160m module.  At power
settings below around 8w, all is well.  Above 8w, after sending a few
characters of CW then stopping, there's about a 0.5s delay and then
there's a crash of static that also lasts about 0.5s.  This is
definitely in sync with my transmission and not atmospheric in nature.
I checked the power supply voltage under load (from the K2's voltage
readout) and around the 8w level, it was running around 12.2 volts.
This was from a battery.  I changed to my regular power supply, which
the K2 shows as about 12.6v under the 8w load, and the static crash goes
away.  What would cause this behavior with source voltage near 12v, and
is there something I can do about it in the K2?

Otherwise, my friend's K2 is working great!  I need to play with mine
more often and let the K3 take a rest!  :-)

Thanks!

73,
Randy, KS4L

Re: [K2] Two questions

Don Wilhelm-4
Randy,

As you discovered, the selected antenna (and  frequency, and mode) may
be lost over a power cycle UNLESS you do a band change.  So if you want
these states recorded after changing them on a particular band, do a
band change before powering off.

On the 'static clash', check the T-R delay setting and also make sure
you have 8R HOLD turned on.