K2 panadapter choices

Jim Allen
I've been in a very helpful discussion with Don Wilhelm about using my Funcube Dongle Pro Plus in a second receiver/panadapter role with the K2.  Don suggests the Clifton Labs Z10000B buffer amplifier, but those aren't available anymore.

Does anyone have one of those devices sitting around unused, or know where to find one, or are there any suggestions for alternatives?

TIA

73 de W6OGC Jim Allen

Sent from my iPad

Re: K2 panadapter choices

Heinz Baertschi
I probably have a Z10000B kit in reserve.
Could look for it next week and then contact you personally. Ok?

Heinz HB9BCB

> Am 01.05.2016 um 15:23 schrieb Jim Allen <[hidden email]>:
>
> I've been in a very helpful discussion with Don Wilhelm about using my Funcube Dongle Pro Plus in a second receiver/panadapter role with the K2.  Don suggests the Clifton Labs Z10000B buffer amplifier, but those aren't available anymore.
>
> Does anyone have one of those devices sitting around unused, or know where to find one, or are there any suggestions for alternatives?
>
> 73 de W6OGC Jim Allen

Re: K2 panadapter choices

Wes Stewart-2
I can't vouch for its performance yet because it's still in transit, but I've
ordered one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111973884221

I have a couple of SDR-IQs, one of which I use as a panadapter on my K3S, the
other will get the preamp for use as a general purpose monitor receiver/spectrum
analyzer.

Wes  N7WS

On 5/1/2016 6:23 AM, Jim Allen wrote:
> I've been in a very helpful discussion with Don Wilhelm about using my Funcube Dongle Pro Plus in a second receiver/panadapter role with the K2.  Don suggests the Clifton Labs Z10000B buffer amplifier, but those aren't available anymore.
>
> Does anyone have one of those devices sitting around unused, or know where to find one, or are there any suggestions for alternatives?
>
> TIA
>
> 73 de W6OGC Jim Allen

Re: K2 panadapter choices

K8AC
I have a K2 with panadaptor and I use an LP-Pan2 and NaP3 as NaP3
supports VFO-B, while many other options don't.  Note that NaP3 also
supports the Funcube Pro+.  Since the Clifton Labs Z10000 is not longer
available, take a look at the buffer/amps sold by G4HUP at his website.
The board is about the same size as the Z10000 board and I use it in my
FT-1000MP Mk V and it works perfectly. Note that there are different
models of the G4HUP board, depending on the IF frequency.  I suggest
getting the documentation from the Clifton Labs site on how to install
the Z10000 board in the K2 and installing the G4HUP board in the same
fashion.

Resist the temptation to use one of the RTL-SDR dongles as they have
lower dynamic range than the Funcube Pro+ and they have no built-in
sound card so are not supported by NaP3.  You'd have to use something
like HDSDR with one of those dongles and you'd lose the VFO-B support.
The Funcube Pro+ with NaP3 gives performance almost the same as an
LP-Pan2, and you won't have to purchase a suitable sound card to go
along with it as you would with the LP-Pan2.

73, Floyd - K8AC