K2 remote KPA100 / KAT100?

Andrew Moore-3
There used to be some sites that described how to put a KPA100 and KAT100
in a remote EC2 enclosure for the K2, but I can't find these anymore. Can
anyone point me to the info?

Thanks & 73,
--Andrew, NV1B
..

Re: K2 remote KPA100 / KAT100?

Don Wilhelm-4
Andrew,

The same question was asked on May 5, and here is how I answered. Hope
you find this info helpful.
I do not have the website information, but I think I can describe it on
words - it is not that difficult.
If you are adding the KAT100 as well as the KPA100, order the KAT100-2
as well as the KPA100. (If you already have a KAT100-1, there is a
conversion kit available from Elecraft - or at least used to be)

The KAT100-2 contains all the connectors for plugging in the KPA100
(except for the speaker cable), connect the base K2 RF (the ANT1 jack if
the KAT2 is included) to the RF IN jack on the KAT100 and connect the
KAT100 control cable between the KIO2 option in the base K2 and the DB-9
jack on either the KAT100 or the KAT100.

If you do not wish to use the KAT100, it is just as easy.  Drill a hole
in the bottom of of the EC2 enclosure (right rear area) to mount a BNC
connector.  Solder an E620012 header to the back of the BNC jack to
provide a connector to plug the KPA100 input coax into - you will have 2
of those parts with the KPA100 kit - they are normally used at K2 RF P3
and P6.  Make certain the orientation is correct, the center conductor
of the input coax must connect to the BNC jack center conductor.

Download the KAT100 manual from Elecraft and build the control cable
that is shown in that manual.

Connect the base K2 RF output to the BNC jack on the EC2 enclosure and
the control cable to the DB-9 connector on the KPA100.  The connector
with 2 cables must be plugged into the KIO2 if you use the connection to
the computer.

Just one additional caution - do all the KPA100 alignment and
calibration and checkout while connected directly to the base K2 (no QRP
top cover), and check out the KAT100 using that same configuration.
Once everything works in that configuration, move the KPA100 to the EC2
and put the QRP top cover on the K2 - connect the 2 cables between the
K2 and EC2 and it should work OK.