K2s

k1-4 user
For casual CW, the K2 sounds and performs. Sometimes I daydream about a
K2s upgrade kit. Finer tuning,  encoder controls, Band memories, all those
aftermarket mic, level out,  an 1/8 phone jack, modern internal battery. Oh
and easily adjustable DSP filtering.

A K3 is out of my range, well maybe a well used one someday.

For QRP contesting, and scanning the bands for signals, nothing beats the
KX3, Win4K3 and a good sound card for the Pan adapter. During CWT the
signals were tight, but hardly a click with the filter tightened. A great
value.

Building most of the accessories for my K2/10 and almost all worked
immediately!  I am still pleased to share it in my station report during
rag chews.

Anyway, Thanks Eleccraft team the fine rigs.

Robin
KA5QQA

K1. sold to buy a K2
KX1 sold to buy a k2
K2
KX3

Re: K2s

WA2SI
There are some who have stated that they prefer the "sound" of the K2's receive over the K3. Subjective? Sure, but the endorsement stands nonetheless. I too absolutely love my K1 & K2/100.

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Sent from my android device.

Re: K2s

Phil Wheeler-2
Robin,

Since you have a KX3, why the K2?  In what ways
(other than the fun of building it!) do you find
the K2 better than the KX3 -- unless you have the
K2/100?

I have K2/100, KX3, K3/100, etc. and my K2/100 is
currently not in use.  Maybe I'll get it set up
now that I have a second operating location.

73, Phil W7OX

On 6/23/16 9:09 PM, Robin Bayer wrote:

> For casual CW, the K2 sounds and performs. Sometimes I daydream about a
> K2s upgrade kit. Finer tuning,  encoder controls, Band memories, all those
> aftermarket mic, level out,  an 1/8 phone jack, modern internal battery. Oh
> and easily adjustable DSP filtering.
>
> A K3 is out of my range, well maybe a well used one someday.
>
> For QRP contesting, and scanning the bands for signals, nothing beats the
> KX3, Win4K3 and a good sound card for the Pan adapter. During CWT the
> signals were tight, but hardly a click with the filter tightened. A great
> value.
>
> Building most of the accessories for my K2/10 and almost all worked
> immediately!  I am still pleased to share it in my station report during
> rag chews.
>
> Anyway, Thanks Eleccraft team the fine rigs.
>
> Robin
> KA5QQA
>
> K1. sold to buy a K2
> KX1 sold to buy a k2
> K2
> KX3

Re: K2s

Eric J
In my case, the form factor is a huge consideration. Having the knobs on
the top makes sense for a trail-friendly radio that sits on your lap or
a nearby rock, but it is not, at least for me, the best ergonomics for a
base station. Putting it on a plastic tilting stand doesn't change that.

Cabling is another big factor. I like cables coming out the rear, not
sprouting from all sides. It makes sense on a TFR, but not so much in a
base station where other gear abuts it.

Believe me, I'm not knocking the KX3 as I've never owned or operated
one. I've never even seen one except in pictures. I had a KX1 and it was
always the last radio I picked up to take camping. (K1 was the first).
It was more of a hangar queen for me. I just never enjoyed using it, but
I never really used it as a trail-friendly radio which is what it was
designed to be. The K1 was much more comfortable to use sitting in a
campsite tuning the radio while I poked at the campfire. Based on form
factor, the KX3 was never a consideration for me and neither is the KX2
(certainly the ultimate TRF) for the same reason.

I have two K2/10s with KPA/KATU in EC2 box (SN567 and 6911), and just
about every internal accessory. I didn't build any of it so the fun of
building is irrelevant to me. I like them because they are very
competent, reliable, wonderfully supported, even traditional radios that
suit me. That's enough.

Eric KE6US

On 6/24/2016 7:32 AM, Phil Wheeler wrote:

> Robin,
>
> Since you have a KX3, why the K2?  In what ways (other than the fun of
> building it!) do you find the K2 better than the KX3 -- unless you
> have the K2/100?
>
> I have K2/100, KX3, K3/100, etc. and my K2/100 is currently not in
> use.  Maybe I'll get it set up now that I have a second operating
> location.
>
> 73, Phil W7OX
>
> On 6/23/16 9:09 PM, Robin Bayer wrote:
>> For casual CW, the K2 sounds and performs. Sometimes I daydream about a
>> K2s upgrade kit. Finer tuning,  encoder controls, Band memories, all
>> those
>> aftermarket mic, level out,  an 1/8 phone jack, modern internal
>> battery. Oh
>> and easily adjustable DSP filtering.
>>
>> A K3 is out of my range, well maybe a well used one someday.
>>
>> For QRP contesting, and scanning the bands for signals, nothing beats
>> the
>> KX3, Win4K3 and a good sound card for the Pan adapter. During CWT the
>> signals were tight, but hardly a click with the filter tightened. A
>> great
>> value.
>>
>> Building most of the accessories for my K2/10 and almost all worked
>> immediately!  I am still pleased to share it in my station report during
>> rag chews.
>>
>> Anyway, Thanks Eleccraft team the fine rigs.
>>
>> Robin
>> KA5QQA
>>
>> K1. sold to buy a K2
>> KX1 sold to buy a k2
>> K2
>> KX3

Re: K2s

vk2rq
It's not just the fun of building it, it's also the fun of using a radio you built yourself. It's nice to be able to undrrstand and appreciate the design, which is harder with the KX3 since the most interesting parts are locked away out of sight in proprietary code.
One feature I really like about the K2 is you can plug in paddles, straight keys, bugs etc. all connected in parallel and the K2 will automatically detect which is which.

73, Matt VK2RQ

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 12:35 AM +1000, "Phil Wheeler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Robin,

Since you have a KX3, why the K2?  In what ways
(other than the fun of building it!) do you find
the K2 better than the KX3 -- unless you have the
K2/100?

I have K2/100, KX3, K3/100, etc. and my K2/100 is
currently not in use.  Maybe I'll get it set up
now that I have a second operating location.

73, Phil W7OX

On 6/23/16 9:09 PM, Robin Bayer wrote:

> For casual CW, the K2 sounds and performs. Sometimes I daydream about a
> K2s upgrade kit. Finer tuning,  encoder controls, Band memories, all those
> aftermarket mic, level out,  an 1/8 phone jack, modern internal battery. Oh
> and easily adjustable DSP filtering.
>
> A K3 is out of my range, well maybe a well used one someday.
>
> For QRP contesting, and scanning the bands for signals, nothing beats the
> KX3, Win4K3 and a good sound card for the Pan adapter. During CWT the
> signals were tight, but hardly a click with the filter tightened. A great
> value.
>
> Building most of the accessories for my K2/10 and almost all worked
> immediately!  I am still pleased to share it in my station report during
> rag chews.
>
> Anyway, Thanks Eleccraft team the fine rigs.
>
> Robin
> KA5QQA
>
> K1. sold to buy a K2
> KX1 sold to buy a k2
> K2
> KX3

Re: K2s

Robin,

I understand about your pleasures of the K2, but I doubt you will see
any more upgrades to the K2.  Just enjoy it as it is right now (unless
yours could use the upgrade kits that are available).

Parts for the K2 are becoming harder and harder to source, but Elecraft
has done a magnificent job of trying to keep up with alternatives as the
availability of the original parts has vanished.  A few that I have been
involved with are the substitution of the speech processor on the KSB2
option, the unavailability of SA612 ICs in DIP format, and the lack of
trimmer capacitors that were used in the past (which created the demise
of the K1 4 band board).

I am not sure how much longer the K2 can "hang in there" as a new kit
with the world switching to SMD components and leaving the thru-hole
components behind as obsolete.  Time will tell, but what I am saying is
that Elecraft has made successful substitutions so far, but there will
be a day when that is no longer possible.  I also hate to think of the
time when proper replacement parts for the K2 are no longer available,
but I do see "the writing on the wall".

So to ask for improvement for an 18 year old design may be asking for
more than can be reasonably accomplished at a desirable price point.

On 6/24/2016 12:09 AM, Robin Bayer wrote:

> For casual CW, the K2 sounds and performs. Sometimes I daydream about a
> K2s upgrade kit. Finer tuning,  encoder controls, Band memories, all those
> aftermarket mic, level out,  an 1/8 phone jack, modern internal battery. Oh
> and easily adjustable DSP filtering.
>
> A K3 is out of my range, well maybe a well used one someday.
>
> For QRP contesting, and scanning the bands for signals, nothing beats the
> KX3, Win4K3 and a good sound card for the Pan adapter. During CWT the
> signals were tight, but hardly a click with the filter tightened. A great
> value.
>
> Building most of the accessories for my K2/10 and almost all worked
> immediately!  I am still pleased to share it in my station report during
> rag chews.

Re: K2s

lstavenhagen
Besides the parts access issues, another consideration is keeping it buildable. If the K2 were to be updated any further, it might go out of reach as a buildable-by-mortal-hams kit with discrete components. In fact, there are compromises in the rig already to keep it easy to build, I'm thinking the synthesizer circuitry for example. You'd have to basically do what Elecraft has already done, which is go to more of a final-assembly/no-solder kit so that the touchier parts of construction could be done at the factory, etc. Else, we'd have to start doing SMT soldering, or just an endlessly complicated kit that would take absolutely forever to build and require esoteric or expensive tools, etc.

So as-is, the K2 is already about the top of the line in terms of what you get performance/features-wise in a kit that even ham-fisted (so to speak) builders like myself can actually build and have a working rig at the end of it.

I've built two copies of the K2 so far, but I think I'm done for now lol. These should last me for the duration. But if you're thinking of building one, probably best to do it sooner rather than later while Elecraft can still get parts...

73,
LS
W5QD