Quantcast

K3 #1140 For Sale on ebay

Jacob
Greetings all!

I am selling my K3 #1140 on ebay.  I love the radio but just don't use it enough.  It was a kit, which I assembled and comes with the 100W option, ATU, 2.7KHz and 500Hz filters and the Elecraft MH2 hand microphone.  Please see the auciton link below for futher information.

ebay auction link

Thank You Elecraft for a very nice radio and God Bless!

Jacob, N3VH

Re: K3 #1140 For Sale on ebay

ab2tc
Hi,

Just out of curiosity; do you have another radio that you prefer or are you simply not using any radio very much? None of my business, I know, but I am curious none the less.

Knut - AB2TC

Jacob wrote
Greetings all!

I am selling my K3 #1140 on ebay.  I love the radio but just don't use it enough.  <snip>
Jacob, N3VH

I am selling my K3 #1140 on ebay.  I love the radio but just don't use it enough.  <snip>
Jacob, N3VH

Re: K3 #1140 For Sale on ebay

wrmoore

I see this went for about $125 MORE than it would have cost if bought from Elecraft.  Interesting.  I guess that's one assessment of the premium on not having to wait the 3.5-4 months!

RE: K3 #1140 For Sale on ebay

Mike Short
And if he was willing to ship overseas, would have probably got a few
hundred more.
It escapes me why people won't ship overseas. One customs form, and you are
done. All the work is on the receiving end.
I have sold equipment overseas for 100-300 more than the last US offer.

Mike
AI4NS

I see this went for about $125 MORE than it would have cost if bought from
Elecraft.  Interesting.  I guess that's one assessment of the premium on not
having to wait the 3.5-4 months!

6:00 AM

RE: K3 #1140 For Sale on ebay

AD6XY
And the effect of Ebay... But it is a real problem for us overseas people. Many firms will not ship abroad at all and others insist on using expensive couriers, even for items only costing a few $. My recent problem trying to get a 15-way cable for example. It would cost $10 for the cable and $60 to ship it, and that is before customs charges.

There is a solution for more expensive items, the shipping agent. E.g. USABox, MyMailbox USA etc. These companies will for a charge give you a US mailing address, take your package and forward it by DHL/UPS or occasionally USPS. The shipping cost plus their fee works out at about the same as the standard courier charge, so for an item worth more than few $100s it is worthwhile. Some will even buy the item for you for a 10% commission.

Mike

Mike Short wrote
And if he was willing to ship overseas, would have probably got a few
hundred more.
It escapes me why people won't ship overseas. One customs form, and you are
done. All the work is on the receiving end.
I have sold equipment overseas for 100-300 more than the last US offer.

Mike
AI4NS

bay cautions

Charles Harpole

eBay has become a mess.  I have won bids on goods

that did not exist and fortunately waited to pay until the

"seller" confirmed many things for me.  Some will grab

someone else's sales notice and repeat it as tho it were

their own, thinking some will simply pay without confirming

anything with the seller.  Friends tell me this is rampant.

Today, I still trust eHam sellers, but hope the trash folks

do not find it.

PS Many legitimate vendors will ship overseas but want

an Am credit card with

an American card billing address. But, shipping overseas

cost has shot up into the sky in this last year,  73

Charles Harpole HS0ZCW

[hidden email]

> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:46:00 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K3 #1140 For Sale on ebay
>

> And the effect of Ebay... But it is a real problem for us overseas people.
> Many firms will not ship abroad at all and others insist on using expensive
> couriers, even for items only costing a few $. My recent problem trying to
> get a 15-way cable for example. It would cost $10 for the cable and $60 to
> ship it, and that is before customs charges.
>
> There is a solution for more expensive items, the shipping agent. E.g.
> USABox, MyMailbox USA etc. These companies will for a charge give you a US
> mailing address, take your package and forward it by DHL/UPS or occasionally
> USPS. The shipping cost plus their fee works out at about the same as the
> standard courier charge, so for an item worth more than few $100s it is
> worthwhile. Some will even buy the item for you for a 10% commission.
>
> Mike
>

> Mike Short wrote:
>>
>> And if he was willing to ship overseas, would have probably got a few
>> hundred more.
>> It escapes me why people won't ship overseas. One customs form, and you
>> are
>> done. All the work is on the receiving end.
>> I have sold equipment overseas for 100-300 more than the last US offer.
>>
>> Mike
>> AI4NS

No, not just a function of eBay nor is customs an issue.

> Many firms will not ship abroad at all and others insist
> on using expensive couriers, even for items only costing
> a few $.

Most low cost carriers will not provide insurance.  For
example, US Postal Service does not offer insurance for
Priority Mail (Air Parcel Post) to many countries.  The
only choice is the more expensive Express Mail International
or one of the "high priced couriers."  Many of the couriers
have fixed minimum prices - e.g., USPS Global Express Guaranteed
(FedEx) has a $130 minimum price to some countries in the Middle
East.

The other problem it the number of "foreign check" schemes.
For an individual not used to fraud prevention, such schemes
can be a disaster.

Unfortunately, it is simply easier to say "US Only" rather
than take a chance on fraud or deal with a buyer who complains
about shipping/insurance.

Bill W4ZV

Joe Subich, W4TV-3 wrote
Most low cost carriers will not provide insurance.  For
example, US Postal Service does not offer insurance for
Priority Mail (Air Parcel Post) to many countries.  The
only choice is the more expensive Express Mail International
or one of the "high priced couriers."
Your USPS info is ~15 months out of date.  Priority Mail International was announced June 1, 2007 and is very reasonably priced with 6-10 days delivery time:

"Priority Mail International (PMI) provides customers with a reliable and economical means of sending correspondence and merchandise up to 70 pounds to over 190 countries and territories worldwide."

http://www.usps.com/international/prioritymailinternational.htm

Insurance is available and quite reasonable (e.g. $9.05 for the first $700 of value and $0.95 per $100 above that); only Canada is limited to $675 total insurance.

http://www.usps.com/international/intlspecialservices.htm#H3

If I were ordering from overseas, I would certainly ask Elecraft to check out USPS' PMI.  I shipped some 3cx400 tubes insured for $650 to the UK in spring of this year and the service worked very well.

73,  Bill

Re: K3 #1140 For Sale on ebay

dl6abm
Hi all,

bought mine #1177 on ebay recently.
Was shipped to germany insured & with tracking no. via usps.
Good service, took about 10 days.
Shipping charge was under 70 bucks.

Thanks Ken for the nice rig! :o))

Cheers from norther germany, Holger, DL6ABM

> Most low cost carriers will not provide insurance.  For
> example, US Postal Service does not offer insurance for
> Priority Mail (Air Parcel Post) to many countries.  The
> only choice is the more expensive Express Mail International
> or one of the "high priced couriers."

Your USPS info is ~15 months out of date.  Priority Mail International was
announced June 1, 2007 and is very reasonably priced with 6-10 days delivery
time:

"Priority Mail International (PMI) provides customers with a reliable and
economical means of sending correspondence and merchandise up to 70 pounds
to over 190 countries and territories worldwide."

http://www.usps.com/international/prioritymailinternational.htm

Insurance is available and quite reasonable (e.g. $9.05 for the first $700
of value and $0.95 per $100 above that); only Canada is limited to $675
total insurance.

http://www.usps.com/international/intlspecialservices.htm#H3

If I were ordering from overseas, I would certainly ask Elecraft to check
out USPS' PMI.  I shipped some 3cx400 tubes insured for $650 to the UK in
spring of this year and the service worked very well.

73,  Bill

Worldwide shipping via UPS / USPS

Ken Kopp-3
I've made 274 (100% positive) transactions on eBay under the user
name of "k0pp".  I accept payments via PayPal or USPS (only) money
order.  There have been -no- problems of any kind, and I ship anywhere
in the world via USPS or UPS.

Hundreds of Rose's Elecraft covers and cases are mailed worldwide via
USPS, again without incident.

Perhaps we've simply been fortunate ....

73!

Ken Kopp - K0PP

RE: K3 #1140 For Sale on ebay

> Your USPS info is ~15 months out of date.  Priority Mail
> International was announced June 1, 2007 and is very
> reasonably priced with 6-10 days delivery time:

I simply did not add "international" to the end of Priority
Mail.

> Insurance is available and quite reasonable (e.g. $9.05 for
> the first $700 of value and $0.95 per $100 above that); only
> Canada is limited to $675 total insurance.

Not accurate ... check the International Mail Manual.  Priority
Mail International insurance limits vary by country.  For example,
Priority Mail can not be insured to Venezuela and South Africa.
Priority Main to Great Britain has a $650 limit, Canada a $675
limit, Germany a $500 limit, etc.

I've encountered each of those cases within the last month.

High cost shipping on low cost articles (was: K3 #1140 For Sale on ebay)

David Woolley (E.L)
AD6XY wrote:
> And the effect of Ebay... But it is a real problem for us overseas people.
> Many firms will not ship abroad at all and others insist on using expensive
> couriers, even for items only costing a few $. My recent problem trying to
> get a 15-way cable for example. It would cost $10 for the cable and $60 to
> ship it, and that is before customs charges.

In that example, shipping in a jiffy bag would have avoided the customs
and customs clearance charges as well, as you are currently allowed GBP
18 including shipping costs (I believe this is going up to around GBP
100 at the end of the year).

Incidentally, for someone in the UK, I have found that Germany is a good
place to source accessories.  UK vendors seem not to advertise small
accessories, or ones for older models.  The German vendors don't seem to
fall into the everything gets courier prices trap.  The one downside is
that some of them do not take plastic, but expect a Euros bank transfer.
  That immediately adds GBP 15 to the cost.  I did find one that had the
parts I wanted and did take plastic/Paypal.  There are no customs duties
for imports, to the UK, from Germany.  You do have to pay VAT, but that
is paid as part of the price to the vendor.

I believe Elecraft will ship small items by cheap methods, but it would
help if they actually provided details on the web site, even though they
may well not charge the international courier rates for them.  I'm
reluctant to consider any of the small kits on add ons because I don't
know the shipping cost (I'm also waiting for the customs exemption
limits to rise).

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to

Re: High cost shipping on low cost articles

Henk PA5KT
As from Dec. 1st the allowed amount will be EURO 150 if you order
something outside the EU.
If you take it with you when entering the EU you can bring a total of
EURO 450 without paying custom duties or VAT.

Now it is EURO 22 and EURO 150.

If you have to pay VAT you pay it over the value of the goods + the
shipping costs. Plus add the handling by the customs agent. This is
usually between Euro 15 and 20.

Henk