K3: Audio Mixer

David Gilbert

There was a discussion here recently about being able to listen to the
main receiver in both ears while listening to the subreceiver only in
the right ear, which to me makes a lot of sense for contesting ....
optimum spatial cognition using both ears to pick out weak callers on
the main run frequency while being able to scan for other contacts with
the right ear.

So I bought a Behringer Xenyx 502 audio mixer to give that a try.  It
just arrived yesterday and I must say that it works great.  It was easy
to set up and gives me total control over both audio channels ... I can
make any amount of audio from either the main or subreceiver appear in
either earphone.  Having the main in both ears and the sub in the right
ear is very, very nice ;)   If anyone wants to give it a try, send me an
email and I'll describe how I set up the connections.

The unit is about 7 inches by 5 inches so it doesn't take up too much
room on the desk, and it's built like a tank.  A Google search will
bring up several online sources, and they all seem to have the same
price .... $45 plus shipping.  How they can sell the thing for that
price is beyond me.

This would also nicely handle the needs of the upcoming SO4R DXpedition,
although it requires it's own 120 VAC power supply and that might be
inconvenient.

73,
Dave   AB7E

Re: K3: Audio Mixer

KK7P
The adventurous may try the following.  These commands do not stick
through power cycles, and may not remain through mode changes or other
commands.  In other words, the radio may revert back to normal operation
at any time :)

If you want Main Rx in both ears and leave the Sub Rx in the right ear,
go to the command tester and type:

!bed7;

If you want the Sub Rx in both ears and the Main only in the left, type:

!bef9;

Be sure SPKRS+PH is OFF, or SPKRS=2, with these commands.

Enjoy!

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: K3: Audio Mixer

David Gilbert

That's VERY slick!  And certainly simpler than using an external mixer.
As you say, it goes away with a power cycle, and also when I turn the
SUB off then back on.  So far it seems to survive most other changes
I've tried, though  ... mode, band, filter, VFO, etc.

I've already programmed one of the command tester macros for it.  Is
there an equivalent command to set it back to normal?

Nice work!

73,
Dave   AB7E

Lyle Johnson wrote:

> The adventurous may try the following.  These commands do not stick
> through power cycles, and may not remain through mode changes or other
> commands.  In other words, the radio may revert back to normal operation
> at any time :)
>
> If you want Main Rx in both ears and leave the Sub Rx in the right ear,
> go to the command tester and type:
>
> !bed7;
>
> If you want the Sub Rx in both ears and the Main only in the left, type:
>
> !bef9;
>
> Be sure SPKRS+PH is OFF, or SPKRS=2, with these commands.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Re: K3: Audio Mixer

KK7P
Hello Dave!

> I've already programmed one of the command tester macros for it.  Is
> there an equivalent command to set it back to normal?

Assuming you mean Main Left, Sub Right (the same as you get when turning
the Sub ON), try:

!bed1;

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: K3: Audio Mixer

Gary, W7TEA
This is great Lyle.  I hope it makes it into a release soon as a menu option.

Thank you,  Gary  W7TEA

Lyle Johnson wrote
Hello Dave!

> I've already programmed one of the command tester macros for it.  Is
> there an equivalent command to set it back to normal?

Assuming you mean Main Left, Sub Right (the same as you get when turning
the Sub ON), try:

!bed1;

73,

Lyle KK7P

Gary W7TEA  K3 #1001, #5763

Re: K3: Audio Mixer

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
I totally agree

73
Arie PA3A

Re: K3: Audio Mixer

DC1RS
That's what I missed so much when using the sub
Hopefully it will make it into a release. Until then i added the command to HRD.

73 de Roland, DC1RS
K3/100 #1243, KFL3A-2.8K, KFL3A-2.1K, KFL3A-400, KRX3, KFL3A-2.8K, KFL3A-400, KAT3, KXV3A, LP-Pan

K3 - 3.06 and KRX3

Igor Sokolov-2
I finally got enough courage to upgrade to ver 3.06 and try "true
independence" with KRX3. Here are some questions that I hope someone can
help me with:
1) I do not have KXV3 installed. I have one tribander connected to ANT1.
Having tuned main RX on 20 using ANT1 I am trying to set SUB RX on 15m using
the same antenna. Firmware does not allow that. It says USE AUX. Is that how
it meant to be? I thought there is internal splitter (which I can use
successfully when using both RX on the same band) and therefore I should be
able to use the same antenna when MAIN and SUB are on the different bands.
It now looks like one more relay would be proper in antenna switching
arrangement. I wish I could choose any mix of ant/rx from the front panel.
Is an external antenna selector the only option for such a flexibility so
far? Or I just miss something?
2) When in the contest I change bands by entering frequency into logger's
call window. Now I have some local noise on 160m and therefore have to use
NB there. For some reasons NB ON setting is not memorized. That means every
time I come back to 160m from any other band I have to switch NB ON again.
Is that a bug or is that done on purpose?
3) Having read all the previous messages on the subject I still do not have
clear picture of how to make SUB RX drive both earphones without resorting
to use of command tester. Is that the work in progress?
4) AF knob has recently fallen apart. I have discussed that with several
other users here in Russia and found that it is pretty common case. It would
be good to have substitute knobs made of some better  plastic or aluminum.
Is there a source somewhere in the US?

Still I like this radio so much that I have recently ordered another one. As
far as I know it is already on the way here.
K3 and EXPERT 1K-FA solid state automatic amplifier with the set of
Spiderbeam antennas and light telescopic mast is ideal DXpedition setup for
me.

73, Igor UA9CDC

Re: K3 - 3.06 and KRX3

KK7P
> 1) I do not have KXV3 installed. I have one tribander connected to ANT1.
> Having tuned main RX on 20 using ANT1 I am trying to set SUB RX on 15m using
> the same antenna. Firmware does not allow that.

Correct. If the Sub is tuned to a band higher in frequency than the
Main, the low pass filters in the shared antenna path attenuate the
signals in the Sub's band.

If you are sharing an antenna, you must tune the Sub to the same band as
the Main, or a band lower in frequency.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: K3 - 3.06 and KRX3

Igor Sokolov-2
Thanks Lyle. Does it mean that if Main is on 15 and sub is on 20 I loose
signal on sub when I swap RX with A/B button?

73, Igor UA9CDC

>> 1) I do not have KXV3 installed. I have one tribander connected to ANT1.
>> Having tuned main RX on 20 using ANT1 I am trying to set SUB RX on 15m
>> using the same antenna. Firmware does not allow that.
>
> Correct. If the Sub is tuned to a band higher in frequency than the Main,
> the low pass filters in the shared antenna path attenuate the signals in
> the Sub's band.
>
> If you are sharing an antenna, you must tune the Sub to the same band as
> the Main, or a band lower in frequency.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Re: K3 - 3.06 and KRX3

Greg - AB7R
See below....

-------------------------
73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Mon Apr 13  5:58 , "Igor Sokolov"  sent:

>I finally got enough courage to upgrade to ver 3.06 and try "true
>independence" with KRX3. Here are some questions that I hope someone can
>help me with:
>1) I do not have KXV3 installed. I have one tribander connected to ANT1.
>Having tuned main RX on 20 using ANT1 I am trying to set SUB RX on 15m using
>the same antenna. Firmware does not allow that. It says USE AUX. Is that how
>it meant to be? I thought there is internal splitter (which I can use
>successfully when using both RX on the same band) and therefore I should be
>able to use the same antenna when MAIN and SUB are on the different bands.
>It now looks like one more relay would be proper in antenna switching
>arrangement. I wish I could choose any mix of ant/rx from the front panel.
>Is an external antenna selector the only option for such a flexibility so
>far? Or I just miss something?

Lyle already addressing this.

>2) When in the contest I change bands by entering frequency into logger's
>call window. Now I have some local noise on 160m and therefore have to use
>NB there. For some reasons NB ON setting is not memorized. That means every
>time I come back to 160m from any other band I have to switch NB ON again.
>Is that a bug or is that done on purpose?

Set CONFIG NB SAVE to Yes.

>3) Having read all the previous messages on the subject I still do not have
>clear picture of how to make SUB RX drive both earphones without resorting
>to use of command tester. Is that the work in progress?

The DSP is done.  Waiting to be implemented in the firmware MCU file.  Its on
Wayne's list but not sure when it will be done.  He's working on some higher
priority items right now.

>4) AF knob has recently fallen apart. I have discussed that with several
>other users here in Russia and found that it is pretty common case. It would
>be good to have substitute knobs made of some better  plastic or aluminum.
>Is there a source somewhere in the US?

Google concentric knobs???  I had one break as well about a year and a half ago due
to slightly over-tightening it.  No problems since.

>Still I like this radio so much that I have recently ordered another one. As
>far as I know it is already on the way here.
>K3 and EXPERT 1K-FA solid state automatic amplifier with the set of
>Spiderbeam antennas and light telescopic mast is ideal DXpedition setup for
>me.
>

>73, Igor UA9CDC

>Post: [hidden email]','','','')">[hidden email]

Re: K3 - 3.06 and KRX3

Bill W4ZV

Greg - AB7R wrote
UA9CDC:

>4) AF knob has recently fallen apart. I have discussed that with several
>other users here in Russia and found that it is pretty common case. It would
>be good to have substitute knobs made of some better  plastic or aluminum.
>Is there a source somewhere in the US?

Google concentric knobs???  I had one break as well about a year and a half ago due
to slightly over-tightening it.  No problems since.
My first unit had the same problem.  After replacing that knob and building 2 additional K3s, I've had no further problems.  I believe this is a matter of learning not to over-torque the knob screws (I routinely do this to things).  I'm happy to learn that Russians are just as heavy handed as I am.  :-)

73,  Bill

Re: K3 Concentric Knobs

Robert Dorchuck
Mouser has a set of machined aluminum knobs that work very
well - they are black and match pretty well.  Part number is:
506-KN5700B1/4 .  Not cheap but they will last.

Bob  W6VY
>>4) AF knob has recently fallen apart. I have discussed that with
>>several
>>other users here in Russia and found that it is pretty common case.
>>It would
>>be good to have substitute knobs made of some better  plastic or
>>aluminum.
>>Is there a source somewhere in the US?
>
> Google concentric knobs???  I had one break as well about a year and
> a half ago due
> to slightly over-tightening it.  No problems since.
>

> My first unit had the same problem.  After replacing that knob and
> building 2 additional K3s, I've had no further problems.  I believe
> this is a matter of learning not to over-torque the knob screws (I
> routinely do this to things).  I'm happy to learn that Russians are
> just as heavy handed as I am.  :-)
>
> 73,  Bill

Re: K3: Audio Mixer

alsopb
Is there a command to put both main and sub in both ears?
(I've wanted this from day one.)
73 de Brian/K3KO

Lyle Johnson wrote:

>Hello Dave!
>

>>I've already programmed one of the command tester macros for it.  Is
>>there an equivalent command to set it back to normal?
>>

>Assuming you mean Main Left, Sub Right (the same as you get when turning
>the Sub ON), try:
>
>!bed1;
>
>73,
>
>Lyle KK7P

Re: K3 - 3.06 and KRX3

Igor Sokolov-2
> My first unit had the same problem.  After replacing that knob and
> building 2 additional K3s, I've had no further problems.  I believe this
> is a matter of learning not to over-torque the knob screws (I routinely do
> this to things).  I'm happy to learn that Russians are just as heavy
> handed as I am.  :-)
>
> 73,  Bill

Thank you all for the responses. Nice to be part of such a helpful
community.
Regarding the AF knob - nothing to do with Russians in my case Bill. The
unit was factory built  :)

73, Igor UA9CDC

Re: K3: Audio Mixer

Barry N1EU
alsopb wrote
Is there a command to put both main and sub in both ears?
(I've wanted this from day one.)
Try this:

!bedb;

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: K3 - 3.06 and KRX3

N5GE
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:25:14 +0600, "Igor Sokolov" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

[snip]
>> I'm happy to learn that Russians are just as heavy
>> handed as I am.  :-)
>>
>> 73,  Bill
[snip]

>Thank you all for the responses. Nice to be part of such a helpful
>community.
>Regarding the AF knob - nothing to do with Russians in my case Bill. The
>unit was factory built  :)
>
>73, Igor UA9CDC
[snip]

My knob that broke was also on a factory built unit, Igor. (SN 806)
:o)

My father had an employee named Bill, many years ago who could, and
would strip any screw he tightened.  He must be working at Elecraft
now installing AF knobs. ;o)  Seriously, though, Elecraft sent me a
new knob right away when I reported it to them.

I'm so pleased with #806 that I now also have #1055.

Tom, N5GE
K3 #806, K3 #1055
XV144, XV432
W1 and other small kits.
http://www.n5ge.com

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: K3: Audio Mixer

hb9brj
Barry N1EU wrote
alsopb wrote
Is there a command to put both main and sub in both ears?
(I've wanted this from day one.)
Try this:
!bedb;
Thanks Barry!
This leads to the following conclusion:
In the command  !bexx; 4 bits of the 2nd byte xx are responsible for the audio routing:
bit0 (LSB) = Main Left
bit1 = Main Right
bit3 = Sub Left
bit4 = Sub Right