K3 Birdie 28004.560 kHz

Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)-2
After upgrading to MCU 04.83 I have a strong birdie (S6) on 28004.560 kHz.
I think I read about someone having the same, just only a short while after power ON.
This one is constantly present and is quite annoying.
What is causing it and how may it be removed?
/oz4un
Paul

Re: K3 Birdie 28004.560 kHz

Ken G Kopp
Quite annoying? Really? Far too much fuss over one tiny spot in a very
large band!

K0PP
On Feb 24, 2014 4:23 AM, "Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After upgrading to MCU 04.83 I have a strong birdie (S6) on 28004.560 kHz.
> I think I read about someone having the same, just only a short while
> after power ON.
> This one is constantly present and is quite annoying.
> What is causing it and how may it be removed?
> /oz4un
> Paul

Re: K3 Birdie 28004.560 kHz

Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)-2
You may say that - I do not share your view.
/Paul

On Feb 24, 2014 4:23 AM, "Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
After upgrading to MCU 04.83 I have a strong birdie (S6) on 28004.560 kHz.
I think I read about someone having the same, just only a short while after power ON.
This one is constantly present and is quite annoying.
What is causing it and how may it be removed?
/oz4un
Paul

Post: mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: K3 Birdie 28004.560 kHz

Dick Dievendorff-4
Some KAT500 users have reported this.  There is an Idle Sleep configuration option in the KAT500 Utility that helps this.  Test first by removing the KAT500 power plug to see of that's the issue.  I don't know if you have a KAT500...

73 de Dick, K6KR

> On Feb 24, 2014, at 3:23, Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> After upgrading to MCU 04.83 I have a strong birdie (S6) on 28004.560 kHz.
> I think I read about someone having the same, just only a short while after power ON.
> This one is constantly present and is quite annoying.
> What is causing it and how may it be removed?
> /oz4un
> Paul

Re: K3 Birdie 28004.560 kHz

Bob-270
Well this is not a small birdie and it is very obnoxious.  It is S7 here.  My
KAT has had it from day one and my SN is in the 30's. I reported it back when
the unit was 1st put in service.  Recently when the issue surfaced here again I
sent in a copy of my prior correspondence on it to Elecraft.

Wayne had posted a comment on the list that the solution was to move the  the
MCU crystal slightly to shift it out of the ham band.  He sent me a direct email
that they are working on the best way to accomplish this and would post the
solution when available.

So there was an answer from the "Main Man".   Once again not an approach that we
would have received from the big 3.

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 2/24/2014 9:45 AM, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> Quite annoying? Really? Far too much fuss over one tiny spot in a very
> large band!
>
> K0PP
> On Feb 24, 2014 4:23 AM, "Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> After upgrading to MCU 04.83 I have a strong birdie (S6) on 28004.560 kHz.
>> I think I read about someone having the same, just only a short while
>> after power ON.
>> This one is constantly present and is quite annoying.
>> What is causing it and how may it be removed?
>> /oz4un
>> Paul

Re: K3 Birdie 28004.560 kHz

Yes, we're definitely working on a way to move the crystal frequency. (This applies to both the KAT500 and the KXPA100.) I'll post again once we have modification kits ready.