K3 Com Port Question

Bill W
I need some tutelage on Com Ports. The K3 and P3 both use Com Port 6 for access to the computer. Com Port 6 is also used but the HRD/DM780/USB Navigator and MMTTY. This is not a real problem as I do not use all these "programs" at the same time. However, it would be nice to be able to access the K3 Utility w/o having to shut down other programs. Being really unfamiliar with Com Port stuff, how does one change com ports for various drivers/programs?

I did try to change the com port by just selecting a new, unused, one for the list in the  K3 Utility but nothing happened.

Thanks in advance for the tutelage.
73,
Bill-W0BBI

Re: K3 Com Port Question

Tony McClenny
Bill,

You may wish to visit my website and check the "How To" section as I have
documented how I use my K3 and five different software programs all at the
same time with a single serial or USB port - the necessary software is
LP_Bridge, which is free - based on its value, I suggest once you get it
working that you send the author a "donation".  Hope this will assist you in
your quest.

- Tony, N3ME -

118 Ashwood Street
Bethany Beach, DE 19930-9699
(302) 539-5638
Grid:  FM28lm

http://www.n3me.net
Elecraft K3 # 2462
PVRC Member

Re: K3 Com Port Question

Dick Dievendorff-4
Bill:

There are "port sharing" programs, such as LP-Bridge, that permit multiple
programs to share the K3's single COM port. What these programs do is "stand
in" for the K3. The port sharing "owns" the K3's single serial port, and the
"port sharing" program provides "virtual" ports that your other programs
connect to.  The "port sharing" program arbitrates which program gets which
response.

But for some time (and maybe still) LP-Bridge does not permit the K3 Utility
to connect in this fashion.  The main reason is that the K3 Utility needs
sole control of the radio during some of its functions, and uses K3
capabilities that are not documented as the "K3 serial programmer's
reference".  Firmware load and RF Gain calibration are the primary functions
in this category. The K3 doesn't behave like a "programmer's reference K3"
while the firmware is being installed.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: K3 Com Port Question

Bill W
Thanks for the feedback. I will follow-up on the suggestions.
73,
Bill W0BBI