K3 DSP bypass

dennis rosenbalm
Can the DSP in the K3 be bypassed? In other words, can it be operated as a conventional superheterodyne receiver without any processing? Would be interesting to do A/B comparison testing. Years ago I had a Ten Tec Omni 6 Plus, a great radio except for the horrid DSP hiss. I always wished I could somehow bypass or defeat the DSP just to see how much better it would be to listen to through a long contest without that awful hiss.

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Bill-3
Last really quiet production rig I used was a TenTec Corsair - fully
analog. I should have never sold it - best 160 rig I ever had. Dead
quiet winter bands and signals would just jump out at you - sort of like
a signal breaking squelch on FM.

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Vic Rosenthal
Not without a big hardware modification. The detection (do we still call
it that?) -- conversion to audio is done in the DSP. And a lot of other
stuff.

On 3/3/2014 5:32 PM, GDR wrote:
> Can the DSP in the K3 be bypassed? In other words, can it be operated
> as a conventional superheterodyne receiver without any processing?
> Would be interesting to do A/B comparison testing. Years ago I had a
> Ten Tec Omni 6 Plus, a great radio except for the horrid DSP hiss. I
> always wished I could somehow bypass or defeat the DSP just to see
> how much better it would be to listen to through a long contest
> without that awful hiss.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: K3 DSP bypass

tnnyswy
Here is the latest 100% Analog Radio on the market today.

http://www.hilberling-usa.com/

Even Rob Sherwood raves about it!

BTW, don't worry about the price.  It's only Money :-)

((((73)))) Milverton.

On Monday, March 3, 2014 8:17 PM, Vic Rosenthal K2VCO <[hidden email]> wrote:

Not without a big hardware modification. The detection (do we still call

>it that?) -- conversion to audio is done in the DSP. And a lot of other
>stuff.
>
>On 3/3/2014 5:32 PM, GDR wrote:
>> Can the DSP in the K3 be bypassed? In other words, can it be operated
>> as a conventional superheterodyne receiver without any processing?
>> Would be interesting to do A/B comparison testing. Years ago I had a
>> Ten Tec Omni 6 Plus, a great radio except for the horrid DSP hiss. I
>> always wished I could somehow bypass or defeat the DSP just to see
>> how much better it would be to listen to through a long contest
>> without that awful hiss.
>

>--
>73,
>
>Vic, K2VCO
>Fresno CA
>http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Scott Manthe-2
How is a radio with direct digital synthesis and DSP processing 100% analog?

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 3/3/14 9:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Here is the latest 100% Analog Radio on the market today.
>
> http://www.hilberling-usa.com/
>
> Even Rob Sherwood raves about it!
>
> BTW, don't worry about the price.  It's only Money :-)
>
> ((((73)))) Milverton.

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Raymond Sills
That's one of those items where if you have to ask the price,..... you
can't afford it.

73 de Ray
K2ULR

On Mar 3, 2014, at 9:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Here is the latest 100% Analog Radio on the market today.
>
> http://www.hilberling-usa.com/
>
> Even Rob Sherwood raves about it!
>
> BTW, don't worry about the price.  It's only Money :-)
>
> ((((73)))) Milverton.

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Scott Manthe-2
$18,000+! And for more than 4 times the price of a loaded K3, you get
4dB better close-spaced dynamic range. That is only $3K per dB. On the
plus side, they do come in 4 colors, vs. the K3's one. I'm sure people
will be lining up to buy them.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 3/3/14 10:42 PM, Ray Sills wrote:
> That's one of those items where if you have to ask the price,..... you
> can't afford it.
>
> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Gary Gregory-2
Maybe Elecraft will offer different color faceplates for the K3?

Anyone like Pink?...or Purple?...or ?

TIC folks......

Gary

On 4 March 2014 13:50, Scott Manthe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> $18,000+! And for more than 4 times the price of a loaded K3, you get 4dB
> better close-spaced dynamic range. That is only $3K per dB. On the plus
> side, they do come in 4 colors, vs. the K3's one. I'm sure people will be
> lining up to buy them.
>
> 73,
> Scott, N9AA
>

> On 3/3/14 10:42 PM, Ray Sills wrote:
>
>> That's one of those items where if you have to ask the price,..... you
>> can't afford it.
>>
>> 73 de Ray
>> K2ULR

*Gary - VK1ZZ, K3NHLSkype: Gary.VK1ZZhttp://www.qsl.net/vk1zz
<http://www.qsl.net/vk1zz>Motorhome Portable*
*"Grumpy's House"*

*Elecraft K3KPA500FTKAT500FT*

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Alan Bloom
On 03/03/2014 08:55 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Maybe Elecraft will offer different color faceplates for the K3?

Hey, we're not appliance operators!  What ever happened to homebrewing?
  Your local Ace Hardware has Rustoleum in dozens of designer colors.

:=)

Alan N1AL

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Cookie
I don't think the LCD will work well after a good coating of Rustoleum!

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke, TDXS DX Chairman
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________
On 03/03/2014 08:55 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Maybe Elecraft will offer different color faceplates for the K3?

Hey, we're not appliance operators!  What ever happened to homebrewing?  Your local Ace Hardware has Rustoleum in dozens of designer colors.

:=)

Alan N1AL

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Don Wilhelm-4
The LCD will work just fine, but the customer may not be able to see the
icons and values.

On 3/4/2014 12:54 AM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:
> I don't think the LCD will work well after a good coating of Rustoleum!
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke, TDXS DX Chairman
> K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

Re: K3 DSP bypass

The K3 is an SDR transceiver.  That means that the filtering,
modulation, and demodulation (as well as noise reduction and many other
functions) is done in the digital domain.  One cannot disable the DSP
processing of the K3 without disabling the entire transceiver for both
transmit and receive.

If one wants to use the K3 as a superhetrodyne receiver, the 8 MHz IF
output could be used (with the KXV3 option) and send it to an analog
receiver capable of receiving that frequency.  I am just not certain of
the utility in doing that - the K3 DSP enables a lot of function that is
not available in an analog receiver of comparable price.

I cannot comment on the "awful hiss" that you refer to.  It is not a
result of DSP processing, but may be a result of shortcomings in the
software (firmware) used for the processing.  I would suggest that you
listen to a K3 for a while before making a decision.

On 3/3/2014 8:32 PM, GDR wrote:
> Can the DSP in the K3 be bypassed? In other words, can it be operated as a conventional superheterodyne receiver without any processing? Would be interesting to do A/B comparison testing. Years ago I had a Ten Tec Omni 6 Plus, a great radio except for the horrid DSP hiss. I always wished I could somehow bypass or defeat the DSP just to see how much better it would be to listen to through a long contest without that awful hiss.

Re: K3 DSP BYPASS

mikerodgerske5gbc
I don't think it's possible. Some dsp functions are not available with AGC off. Sometimes it's quieter with AGC off and reduced rf gain but not always.

After 3 years, the best way to reduce hiss for me is to reduce hi cut (on ssb) sometimes to 2.4,sometimes 2.1.
I would think in a contest you would be running narrow anyway but wouldn't want AGC off.

"

Can the DSP in the K3 be bypassed? In other words, can it be operated as a conventional superheterodyne receiver without any processing? Would be interesting to do A/B comparison testing. Years ago I had a Ten Tec Omni 6 Plus, a great radio except for the horrid DSP hiss. I always wished I could somehow bypass or defeat the DSP just to see how much better it would be to listen to through a long contest without that awful hiss."

73
Mike R

RIP- Mr 500.  STP's Andy Granatelli from racing fans everywhere.

Re: K3 DSP bypass

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Can you say "masking tape?"  I knew you could.

On 3/3/2014 9:54 PM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:
> I don't think the LCD will work well after a good coating of Rustoleum!

Re: K3 DSP bypass

k6mkf
My granddaughter gave me lots of rainbow unicorn stickers ...

- 73 de Mike, K6MKF, W6NAG, Secretary - NCDXC, IDXG, ADXG, RRC #933,
K3-P3-KPA500-KAT500 Addict, Maui