[K3] Fan noise cure

Doug Turnbull
Dear OMs and Yls,

     One of my K3 fans makes more noise than I care for whilst running just
65 Watts in CW mode.   I wonder if there is an easy fix for the existing
fan.  Maybe the only fix is a fan replacement?    Secondly how problematic
is it to remove the fans?   Does one need to rip out many components to get
to the fans.    I know I could start pulling the radio apart but someone
else may have a suggestion.   Yes I can read the assembly manual but perhaps
there is a shortcut.   It may not be worth the effort or perhaps I best wait
till the magic time when I order the new Preamplifier board to further
upgrade the K3.

     Thanks for any insight or advice.

                         73 Doug EI2CN

Re: [K3] Fan noise cure

Don Wilhelm-4
Doug,

It is not really a problem to remove the fan.
Take the top cover off, remove the 4 screws holding the fan panel,
unplug the fans (noting which connector goes where), and you may want to
remove the leads to the circuit breaker.

Except for putting a new fan on the fan panel, that is all there is to
it.  The lead length to the connector is different for each of the fans.

On 8/10/2015 4:58 PM, Doug Turnbull wrote:

> Dear OMs and Yls,
>
>       One of my K3 fans makes more noise than I care for whilst running just
> 65 Watts in CW mode.   I wonder if there is an easy fix for the existing
> fan.  Maybe the only fix is a fan replacement?    Secondly how problematic
> is it to remove the fans?   Does one need to rip out many components to get
> to the fans.    I know I could start pulling the radio apart but someone
> else may have a suggestion.   Yes I can read the assembly manual but perhaps
> there is a shortcut.   It may not be worth the effort or perhaps I best wait
> till the magic time when I order the new Preamplifier board to further
> upgrade the K3.

Re: [K3] Fan noise cure

Bob-270
Hi Doug,

              If noise is the issue you might want to search the archives. Some
time back a fellow posted information on a replacement Noctua fan that had more
CFM output but was quieter than the original per the specs.

               So if replacement is required then possibly the replacement could
also be a upgrade.

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR.

On 8/10/2015 5:31 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Doug,
>
> It is not really a problem to remove the fan.
> Take the top cover off, remove the 4 screws holding the fan panel, unplug the
> fans (noting which connector goes where), and you may want to remove the leads
> to the circuit breaker.
>
> Except for putting a new fan on the fan panel, that is all there is to it.
> The lead length to the connector is different for each of the fans.

> On 8/10/2015 4:58 PM, Doug Turnbull wrote:
>> Dear OMs and Yls,
>>
>>       One of my K3 fans makes more noise than I care for whilst running just
>> 65 Watts in CW mode.   I wonder if there is an easy fix for the existing
>> fan.  Maybe the only fix is a fan replacement?    Secondly how problematic
>> is it to remove the fans?   Does one need to rip out many components to get
>> to the fans.    I know I could start pulling the radio apart but someone
>> else may have a suggestion.   Yes I can read the assembly manual but perhaps
>> there is a shortcut.   It may not be worth the effort or perhaps I best wait
>> till the magic time when I order the new Preamplifier board to further
>> upgrade the K3.

Re: [K3] Fan noise cure

Petr, OK1RP/M0SIS
This post was updated on .
Hi Bob,

it sounds really interresting. I realized that my K3 after huge upgrade and now fully loaded is quite hot even in idle (RX mode). The PA/FP temp is stabilized between 38-40C in RX idle when the FAN1 speed is selected but when I am touching the cabinet sides it is quite hot as same as the right side of the front panel. So the more CFM powerfull and even quieter fan looks like very good upgrade option.

There is the link for Noctua threat:
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-Fan-Replacement-td7592075.html#a7592266

There is the link for Noctua supplier:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608032

There is the link for Noctua manufacturer:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=48&lng=en

Best regards,
73 - Petr, OK1RP