K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

N5GE
I use CW almost exclusively.

When I'm on 6m up, working weak signal, I send CQ in CW while the rig
is set to USB.  In the CW memories M1, M2, M3 and M4, I have messages
stored for calling CQ, etc., but when the mode is set to USB and I tap
one of the memories, naturally I get a memory saying the DVR is not
installed, which is correct.

How much trouble would it be to do an if/else check for the DVR and if
it isn't present, send the CW memory?

It's not a show stopper, but would be nice to have for those of us who
may never install the DVR.  Or perhaps setting a software switch that
would let us choose which memories we want to send from?

Not a show stopper, just a thought.

Tom, N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

Bob Naumann W5OV
Why not just listen in CW mode? Is there a difference?

Re: K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

David Gilbert

Why not just tap the mode switch to drop down into CW mode?  What do you
gain by sending CW from SSB mode, especially if you rarely operate SSB?
As far as I know, receiver settings like bandwidth and AGC are equally
available in either mode.

73,
Dave   AB7E

Re: K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

David Pratt
In a recent message, Radio Amateur N5GE <[hidden email]> wrote ...
>How much trouble would it be to do an if/else check for the DVR and if
>it isn't present, send the CW memory?

Not a good idea, Tom.  If you call CQ on CW while in SSB mode you will
be off-frequency by your sidetone setting.  If anyone comes back to you
on CW they will appear to be off-frequency and you will have to re-tune
or use RIT.

David G4DMP
Leeds, England, UK
------

K3 - CW in SSB mode operation

Ken Kopp-3
I use the "transmit CW while in SSB" mode feature. Most
replies have been in SSB mode, so no retuning is needed.

I often monitor 50.125 in SSB mode and at random intervals
send "DE K0PP DN36" to probe for activity / openings ... a
form of manual beaconing. (:-))

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
     [hidden email]
     http://tunyurl.com/7lm3m5

Re: K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

David Gilbert

The K3 accounts for that and inserts the proper shift when you send CW
from the SSB mode.  See the "SSB + CW" option under the CW WGHT menu
entry on page 54 of the manual.

I just don't see why it would be desirable to operate CW all the time
that way.

73,
Dave   AB7E

David Pratt wrote:

> In a recent message, Radio Amateur N5GE <[hidden email]> wrote ...
>
>> How much trouble would it be to do an if/else check for the DVR and if
>> it isn't present, send the CW memory?
>>

> Not a good idea, Tom.  If you call CQ on CW while in SSB mode you will
> be off-frequency by your sidetone setting.  If anyone comes back to you
> on CW they will appear to be off-frequency and you will have to re-tune
> or use RIT.

Re: K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

I believe Tom uses CW exclusively, but those who reply to him may be
using SSB exclusively - the VHF bands are like that.

Robert Naumann wrote:

> Why not just listen in CW mode? Is there a difference?

Re: K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

David Gilbert

Ahhh ... I see.

73,
Dave   AB7E

Don Wilhelm wrote:

> I believe Tom uses CW exclusively, but those who reply to him may be
> using SSB exclusively - the VHF bands are like that.

> Robert Naumann wrote:
>
>> Why not just listen in CW mode? Is there a difference?

Re: K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

K5DNL

Tom,

I also think you should be able to use M1 thru M4 if the K3 is set up to send CW in ssb mode.
The K3 takes care of the offset when in that mode.

73 Ken K5DNL

> When I'm on 6m up, working weak signal, I send CQ in CW
> while the rig
> is set to USB.  In the CW memories M1, M2, M3 and M4,
> I have messages
> stored for calling CQ, etc., but when the mode is set to
> USB and I tap
> one of the memories, naturally I get a memory saying the
> DVR is not
> installed, which is correct.
>
> How much trouble would it be to do an if/else check for the
> DVR and if
> it isn't present, send the CW memory?
>
> It's not a show stopper, but would be nice to have for
> those of us who
> may never install the DVR.  Or perhaps setting a
> software switch that
> would let us choose which memories we want to send from?
>
> Not a show stopper, just a thought.
>
> Tom, N5GE

Re: K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

N5GE
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:46:33 -0500, "Robert Naumann" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Why not just listen in CW mode? Is there a difference?

Yes.

You might be surprised how many new grids I have grabbed by sending CQ
in CW and waiting for someone say QRZ? on phone.  When they do, I
answer on phone.  SSB operators working weak signal who don't speak
Morse, still answer CW signals on 6m and up.  It's a way of getting
their attention.  Don't forget CW still gets through noise better than
phone.

That's exactly the reason you CAN send CW while in SSB on the K3.  The
Elecraft guys know that we do that, so they put in a feature that many
of us use for weak signal work.

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:02:50 -0700, David Gilbert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>The K3 accounts for that and inserts the proper shift when you send CW
>from the SSB mode.  See the "SSB + CW" option under the CW WGHT menu
>entry on page 54 of the manual.
>
>I just don't see why it would be desirable to operate CW all the time
>that way.
[snip]

Actually I alternate between phone and CW when up there.  One CW call,
one CW call.  It's just a tool that increases your chances of
completing the QSO.

73,

Tom, N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: K3 Feature Suggestion (CW)

Bob Naumann W5OV
OK - I have yet to use my K3 on 6m where the default of being on LSB for CW
makes this much more difficult. I think I understand what you're getting at
although you could just change your CW to be USB - no?

All my previous 6m rigs were defaulted to USB for CW so going from CW to USB
or the reverse made no change in what I heard in the receiver - presuming
the bandwidth remained the same of course.

wrote:

>Why not just listen in CW mode? Is there a difference?

Yes.

You might be surprised how many new grids I have grabbed by sending CQ
in CW and waiting for someone say QRZ? on phone.  When they do, I
answer on phone.  SSB operators working weak signal who don't speak
Morse, still answer CW signals on 6m and up.  It's a way of getting
their attention.  Don't forget CW still gets through noise better than
phone.

That's exactly the reason you CAN send CW while in SSB on the K3.  The
Elecraft guys know that we do that, so they put in a feature that many
of us use for weak signal work.

Re: K3 - CW in SSB mode operation

N5GE
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:53:01 -0000, "Ken Kopp" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>I use the "transmit CW while in SSB" mode feature. Most
>replies have been in SSB mode, so no retuning is needed.
>
>I often monitor 50.125 in SSB mode and at random intervals
>send "DE K0PP DN36" to probe for activity / openings ... a
>form of manual beaconing. (:-))
>
>73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
>     [hidden email]
>     http://tunyurl.com/7lm3m5

That's sort of what I do, Ken.

The CW just lets them know there's someone out there.  Heck they don't
even need to be able to copy CW ;o)