K3 Headset Redux

David Gilbert

Per the discussion a couple of weeks ago regarding lightweight headsets
for the K3, I decided to look for the cheapest one I could find that
would still give good results.  Amazingly, I found a really lightweight
computer headset for $10 at Tiger Direct that has foam covered
earphones, a foam covered electret mic at the end of a nice long boom, a
six foot cord, and the construction seems reasonably robust.  I have my
K3 parameters (mic gain. compression, equalization) set to give good
clean crisp transmit audio for contesting and DXing using the stock
Elecraft MH-2 mic, and I've always gotten excellent on-the-air reports
with it.  Using those exact same settings, the $10 headset reportedly
sounds almost identical to the MH-2 in on-the-air tests with the
possible exception of very slightly less low frequency response, and I'm
certain that could be handled with the equalization.

*http://tinyurl.com/cs4fnn
*
In case anyone is interested ...

73,