K3 + Icon

Paul VanOveren-2
Somehow I now have the "+" icon on the display, lower right, between the
Bvfo and the T for the CW text decode.  I know not of how I put it there
and want to know how I turned  it on, and how I can turn it off.
Tnx,
NF8J
Paul VanOveren
5911 Snow Av
Alto, Mi 49302
(616) 868-7149

Re: K3 + Icon

dmb@lightstream.net
Paul,

In CW mode, the "+" icon indicates that QRQ mode is active. You can
toggle it on or off via the Config menu option "CW QRQ"

In SSB mode, the "+" icon indicates that ESSB is enabled. You can toggle
it on and off via the Config menu option "TX ESSB". Tap '1' to turn it
on and off.

It may have other meaning in other contexts or modes, but these are the
only two of which I am aware.

73, Dale
WA8SRA

On 12/4/2012 9:11 AM, Paul VanOveren wrote:

> Somehow I now have the "+" icon on the display, lower right, between the
> Bvfo and the T for the CW text decode.  I know not of how I put it there
> and want to know how I turned  it on, and how I can turn it off.
> Tnx,
> NF8J
> Paul VanOveren
> 5911 Snow Av
> Alto, Mi 49302
> (616) 868-7149

Re: K3 + Icon

Andrew Moore-3
The "+" also indicates that RIT is disabled (a side effect of QRQ mode
being turned on, for blazing fast QSK). There's been some discussion that
limited RIT will be restored while in QRQ mode in the future.

73,
--Andrew, NV1B
maineware.net
..

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Dale Boresz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> In CW mode, the "+" icon indicates that QRQ mode is active. You can toggle
> it on or off via the Config menu option "CW QRQ"
>
> In SSB mode, the "+" icon indicates that ESSB is enabled. You can toggle
> it on and off via the Config menu option "TX ESSB". Tap '1' to turn it on
> and off.
>
> It may have other meaning in other contexts or modes, but these are the
> only two of which I am aware.

[K3] Owners manual update request <was> Re: K3 + Icon

k5oai
When I answered Paul's question
I was reading from the K3 Owner's Manual  (pdf)
(12.4 MB) K3 Owner's Operation Manual, Web Res. (Rev D10, 8/24/2011)

I just did a pdf search of that entire manual, and no where does it give the
info Dale gave us about the + sign in CW indicating the QRQ mode was active.

I also checked the K3 Owner's Manual Errata (pdf)
(61 KB) K3 Owner's Operation Manual Errata (Rev D10-1, 8/24/2011)

and did not find that info........

maybe it's time for an updated K3 Owner's Operation Manual _please_
(yea I know like the guys didn't already have enough on their plates, right?)

--

GB & 73
K5OAI

Re: [K3] Owners manual update request <was> Re: K3 + Icon

Matt Zilmer
There are at least a few bits of arcana like this not in the OM. IMHO,
they're valuable features to have documented, and certainly make the
K3 a competitive value against the other brand names' best offerings.

So yes, a manual covering all the operating nuances should be edited
up to date.  Again, IMHO.

AFAIK, yes - plates at Elecraft are quite full.  :)

73,
matt W6NIA

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 08:41:09 -0600, you wrote:

>When I answered Paul's question
>I was reading from the K3 Owner's Manual  (pdf)
>(12.4 MB) K3 Owner's Operation Manual, Web Res. (Rev D10, 8/24/2011)
>
>I just did a pdf search of that entire manual, and no where does it give the
>info Dale gave us about the + sign in CW indicating the QRQ mode was active.
>
>I also checked the K3 Owner's Manual Errata (pdf)
>(61 KB) K3 Owner's Operation Manual Errata (Rev D10-1, 8/24/2011)
>
>and did not find that info........
>
>maybe it's time for an updated K3 Owner's Operation Manual _please_
>(yea I know like the guys didn't already have enough on their plates, right?)
>

>On 12/4/2012 8:26 AM, Dale Boresz wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> In CW mode, the "+" icon indicates that QRQ mode is active. You can toggle it on
>> or off via the Config menu option "CW QRQ"
>>
>> In SSB mode, the "+" icon indicates that ESSB is enabled. You can toggle it on
>> and off via the Config menu option "TX ESSB". Tap '1' to turn it on and off.
>>
>> It may have other meaning in other contexts or modes, but these are the only two
>> of which I am aware.
>>
>> 73, Dale
>> WA8SRA
>>

>> On 12/4/2012 9:11 AM, Paul VanOveren wrote:
>>> Somehow I now have the "+" icon on the display, lower right, between the
>>> Bvfo and the T for the CW text decode.  I know not of how I put it there
>>> and want to know how I turned  it on, and how I can turn it off.
>>> Tnx,
>>> NF8J
>>> Paul VanOveren
>>> 5911 Snow Av
>>> Alto, Mi 49302
>>> (616) 868-7149

Re: K3 + Icon

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
RIT is NOT disabled when QRQ mode is on. Rather, RIT (or XIT, or SPLIT) turns ORQ mode off
while it is on. QRQ mode eliminates the distortion of CW elements that otherwise happens
above about 35 wpm otherwise, and it also makes QSK operation smoother and faster.

As far as I know, it has only two downsides: it disables the passband shift function, and
it shortens the delay from amp key output to RF from 8 to 4 or 5 ms (according to the
manual).

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: K3 + Icon

Andrew Moore-3
It sounds like it's effectively the same thing, unless I'm just not
understanding something. If QRQ is on, and you engage RIT, QRQ is then
automatically turned off. So while QRQ is on, you have no RIT.

Distortion beyond 35 WPM:

I was under the impression that this was addressed - to a limit - during
the development of CW+ (QRQ) mode, and that QRQ mode (further) extended
that limit to nearly WPM with accurate elements.

That is, even without QRQ mode enabled, accurate timing of elements was
achieved to some WPM beyond 35.

Wayne, can you clarify?  Is QRQ mode required for accurate timing at any
speed above 35?

73,
--Andrew, NV1B
maineware.net
..

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Vic K2VCO <[hidden email]> wrote:

> RIT is NOT disabled when QRQ mode is on. Rather, RIT (or XIT, or SPLIT)
> turns ORQ mode off while it is on. QRQ mode eliminates the distortion of CW
> elements that otherwise happens above about 35 wpm otherwise, and it also
> makes QSK operation smoother and faster.
>
> As far as I know, it has only two downsides: it disables the passband
> shift function, and it shortens the delay from amp key output to RF from 8
> to 4 or 5 ms (according to the manual).

Re: K3 + Icon

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
The original post suggested that if you turn on QRQ it will turn off RIT. That's not the
case. They ARE incompatible, so that RIT (temporarily) forces QRQ off. But you can leave
the QRQ parameter in the config menu on, and then you will have it whenever you are not
using RIT, XIT or SPLIT.

With QRQ off, CW timing is messed up over about 35 wpm with an external keyer. Maybe it
goes a little higher with the internal keyer; I'm not sure. But not much.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: K3 + Icon

Andrew Moore-3
Actually, it does in fact turn off RIT. I just did the following on K3
running firmware 4.51:

- Tune to 7024 kHz
- In CONFIG, set CW QRQ:Off
- Tap RIT and tune RIT (smaller VFO knob) to 7025 kHz. Delta-F and RIT "+"
LEDs light up.
- Transmit a dit. RIT is active. TX occurs on 7024 and RX occurs on 7025.
- In CONFIG, set CW QRQ:On
- Delta-F and RIT "+" LEDs turn off.
- Transmit a dit. TX and RX occur on 7024.

That said, the important part to note here (and maybe what I should have
said from the start) is that, as you said, QRQ mode and RIT are
incompatible (at this time...)

While it would be nice to have a little RIT leeway during QRQ=on, I think
the current implementation is a great compromise until that leeway can be
found. It's certainly more convenient than entering the config menu,
changing a parameter and exiting, or dedicating a couple programmable
function keys to it. And since RIT is used when the other station is
transmitting, blazing fast QSK is moot during that time anyway. Yes it's
inconvenient to break the station and then have to pause and clear RIT in
order to get super QSK back again, but everything in life is a tradeoff...
my biggest wish for the K3 was superb QRQ timing and they found a way to do
it... rock on, Elecraft!

73,
--Andrew, NV1B
maineware.net