K3/N1MM, freq jumps etc in CQ WW CW

Ignacy
Generally K3 worked very well. But I would like to report some problems.
This is with N1MM+

I interrupt a transmission with ESC. Periodically, I seem to hear completely different stations with CQ called on my run frequency. Before I was getting mad but now I know that K3 receives a different frequency than shown on the display. Pressing A=>B button fixes the situation.

When running, accidentally pressing RIT or XIT causes K3 to get stuck in transmit. Switching off/on is the only solution. I am wondering whether most of the buttons can be make inactive in TX.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3/N1MM, freq jumps etc in CQ WW CW

Oliver Dröse
Ignacy,

no problems like this in my setup overhere, all works flawlessly so I'd
assume it is something in your configuration. If A->B fixes it might it
be you have a SubRX that is (accidentally) turned on?

Please leave the button functions alone, I often switch on RIT during
transmit when running to be able to zero in on off-frequency callers.
Never a problem or any lockups.

73, Olli

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 01.12.2015 um 22:39 schrieb Ignacy:

> Generally K3 worked very well. But I would like to report some problems.
> This is with N1MM+
>
> I interrupt a transmission with ESC. Periodically, I seem to hear completely
> different stations with CQ called on my run frequency. Before I was getting
> mad but now I know that K3 receives a different frequency than shown on the
> display. Pressing A=>B button fixes the situation.
>
> When running, accidentally pressing RIT or XIT causes K3 to get stuck in
> transmit. Switching off/on is the only solution. I am wondering whether most
> of the buttons can be make inactive in TX.
>
> Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3/N1MM, freq jumps etc in CQ WW CW

Guy Olinger K2AV
Sounds like you have the subRX. If you don't, ignore the rest of this
post. But assuming you do, the sudden frequency appearance has nothing
to do with the K3, all in MM logger. Check your setting in N1MM+ for:

Config tab: Sub receiver always on.

If you have "Sub rx always on" checked, if you have turned sub RX off
and are listening to the main RX with both ears, in response to
various events MM will turn the subRX back on at whatever frequency is
on the "B" display. This will remove the main RX from your right ear
substituting whatever is on the sub RX, which in a contest is just as
likely to be CQ as anything.

If you decide to go single RX at any point, remember to uncheck that
config tab entry.

Also there are keyboard shortcuts that when accidentally hit will
cause issues. Have a look at

  http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Key+Assignments+-+Keyboard+Shortcuts

In particular look at Alt F12 in paragraph 3.5

In a lot of ways MM and the K3 have similar philosophical bents. MM is
rich with options that well serve many people with preferences or
special needs. The K3 does as well.

This leaves the newby or the slow learner (like me) with the
unenviable task of encountering these flexibilities without warning or
understanding, all appearing as if the gods have gone mad in the
radio.

The reason it only took me six months to get used to my K3 was because
it took me 2 years to get used to my K2, the two having some
similarities in menu/operational philosophy.

I've been using MM for six or seven years and I'm still getting used
to it. I'm disadvantaged in this regard because I had TRLog imprinted
on my neurons, which may never go away. Everything new anybody does to
anything usually leaves me in the lurch wondering what is broke this
time. Then I remember my own mantra ... It's almost never in the K3
... and save myself a lot of grief by looking elsewhere.

Totally empathize with your experience. You almost certainly will get
used to it all faster than I did.

73, Guy K2AV

> Am 01.12.2015 um 22:39 schrieb Ignacy:
>>
>> Generally K3 worked very well. But I would like to report some problems.
>> This is with N1MM+
>>
>> I interrupt a transmission with ESC. Periodically, I seem to hear
>> completely
>> different stations with CQ called on my run frequency. Before I was
>> getting
>> mad but now I know that K3 receives a different frequency than shown on
>> the
>> display. Pressing A=>B button fixes the situation.
>>
>> When running, accidentally pressing RIT or XIT causes K3 to get stuck in
>> transmit. Switching off/on is the only solution. I am wondering whether
>> most
>> of the buttons can be make inactive in TX.
>>
>> Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3/N1MM, freq jumps etc in CQ WW CW

Mike K2MK
Hi Ignacy,

Is it possible that when you decided to end your transmission you quickly moved your hand to the ESC key and in the process accidentally touched the Tilde key. With N1MM the tilde key turns on the SUB RX. Now in my case this causes me to hear different stations in my right ear. But your K3 or your N1MM configuration may have a different reaction that is causing a frequency change.

73,
Mike K2MK

Ignacy wrote

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3/N1MM, freq jumps etc in CQ WW CW

Ignacy
Thank you for comments. I amy indeed use ` by chance although I have not done SO2V by choice.

N1MM claims a bug in K3.
This is in http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Supported+Radios#K3_and_K3S:

The K3 contains a firmware bug that was reported several times and never been fixed which affects users who would like to use PTT via radio command. If the Esc key is pressed when a CW transmission begins and you are using PTT via radio command, the radio may not return to RX. The radio RX issue doesn't occur if the owner disconnects the CW jack from the rear of the K3 radio and doesn't change any N1MM Logger setting. Similar issues have been reported on other modes. Delay has been added to the N1MM Logger program when Esc is pressed but the problem still occurs intermittently. The problem seems to be worse with the very early K3 radios. Until this firmware issue is corrected, users may notice that the radio does not return to RX intermittently when using PTT via radio command. When this occurs, make another transmission and end it with the ESC key.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3/N1MM, freq jumps etc in CQ WW CW

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II
It has happened to me as well.

Owner - Operator
Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC
Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator
Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ
Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.
Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  [hidden email]

> On Dec 2, 2015, at 9:40 AM, Ignacy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for comments. I amy indeed use ` by chance although I have not done
> SO2V by choice.
>
> N1MM claims a bug in K3.
> This is in
> http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Supported+Radios#K3_and_K3S:
>
> *The K3 contains a firmware bug that was reported several times and never
> been fixed which affects users who would like to use PTT via radio command.
> If the Esc key is pressed when a CW transmission begins and you are using
> PTT via radio command, the radio may not return to RX. The radio RX issue
> doesn't occur if the owner disconnects the CW jack from the rear of the K3
> radio and doesn't change any N1MM Logger setting. Similar issues have been
> reported on other modes. Delay has been added to the N1MM Logger program
> when Esc is pressed but the problem still occurs intermittently. The problem
> seems to be worse with the very early K3 radios. Until this firmware issue
> is corrected, users may notice that the radio does not return to RX
> intermittently when using PTT via radio command. When this occurs, make
> another transmission and end it with the ESC key.*
>
> Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3/N1MM, freq jumps etc in CQ WW CW

I though we had fixed this for all remaining cases in rev. 4.55, but I'll re-list it.

On Dec 2, 2015, at 7:40 AM, Ignacy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for comments. I amy indeed use ` by chance although I have not done
> SO2V by choice.
>
> N1MM claims a bug in K3.
> This is in
> http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Supported+Radios#K3_and_K3S:
>
> *The K3 contains a firmware bug that was reported several times and never
> been fixed which affects users who would like to use PTT via radio command.
> If the Esc key is pressed when a CW transmission begins and you are using
> PTT via radio command, the radio may not return to RX. The radio RX issue
> doesn't occur if the owner disconnects the CW jack from the rear of the K3
> radio and doesn't change any N1MM Logger setting. Similar issues have been
> reported on other modes. Delay has been added to the N1MM Logger program
> when Esc is pressed but the problem still occurs intermittently. The problem
> seems to be worse with the very early K3 radios. Until this firmware issue
> is corrected, users may notice that the radio does not return to RX
> intermittently when using PTT via radio command. When this occurs, make
> another transmission and end it with the ESC key.*
>
> Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3/N1MM, freq jumps etc in CQ WW CW

Ignacy
I checked my setting. It was SO1V all the time.

Regarding locks. I tried it again.

When running, press RIT then XIT. The display shows ERR KEY and the radio is stuck in TX. Not big deal as I can turn it off and on. But weird.

This may be something to do with software PTT.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: K3/N1MM, freq jumps etc in CQ WW CW

AB2E Darrell
Wayne,
I had not known of this issue previously (having just acquired my K3 in April), but can confirm the same behavior this past weekend in CQWW CW as reported by Ignacy and I was using version 5.14.

It was intermittent and I could not pin down the problem during the contest, but the PTT would hang on returning to receive, sometimes 3 or 4 seconds. Other times, normal return to RX.

Setup this past weekend:
K3/ SPE Expert 1.3K-FA
N1MM+ Logger

Thanks and 73,