K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Deni F5VJC
Anyone in Europe ordered the new synth boards from Elecraft? Did you have
to pay customs Tax?

I've just received mine today in France, but was clobbered for Customs Tax,
another 96 Euros (about 107USD)  on top.

I've queried this by email with French customs but not holding my breath...

73,  Deni - F5VJC

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Fabio IZ4AFW / NZ1W
Hi Deni,
    difficult and cumbersome matter, indeed, at least here in Italy.
For what I know, anything above about 25 euros value is subject to customs duties and/or VAT.
According to http://www.agenziadoganemonopoli.gov.it/wps/wcm/connect/internet/ed/dogane/cittadino/acquisti+su+internet/indice+acquisti+su+internet (in Italian)

Pagamento di Dazi, IVA e Accise
Valore Dazio (*) IVA (*)
Fino a 22,00 € NO NO
da 22,01 € a 150,00 € NO SI
oltre 150,00 € SI SI

So, up to 22€ value, no customs duties ("Dazio", around 3-4%, depending on the kind of stuff (electronics, etc.)), neither VAT ("IVA") according to the EU country importing the stuff.
From 22.01 to 150 € no customs duties, only VAT
Over 150€ value, both customs duties and VAT have to be applied.
I assume that "value" is real value +  shipping (even if already paid in the originating country) converted somehow to euros.

Good luck :)
Fabio
 IZ4AFW / IO4W / NZ1W

Il 04.05.2015 21:23, F5vjc ha scritto:

> Anyone in Europe ordered the new synth boards from Elecraft? Did you have
> to pay customs Tax?
>
> I've just received mine today in France, but was clobbered for Customs Tax,
> another 96 Euros (about 107USD)  on top.
>
> I've queried this by email with French customs but not holding my breath...
>

> 73,  Deni - F5VJC

---

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Stephen G4SJP
Here in the UK I only paid VAT plus the usual customs release fee, as I
have with everything else that I have bought from Elecraft over the years.

73 Stephen G4SJP

On 4 May 2015 at 20:35, Fabio IZ4AFW / NZ1W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Deni,
>     difficult and cumbersome matter, indeed, at least here in Italy.
> For what I know, anything above about 25 euros value is subject to customs
> duties and/or VAT.
> According to
> http://www.agenziadoganemonopoli.gov.it/wps/wcm/connect/internet/ed/dogane/cittadino/acquisti+su+internet/indice+acquisti+su+internet
> (in Italian)
>
> Pagamento di Dazi, IVA e Accise
> Valore  Dazio (*)       IVA (*)
> Fino a 22,00 €  NO      NO
> da 22,01 € a 150,00 €   NO      SI
> oltre 150,00 €  SI      SI
>

> So, up to 22€ value, no customs duties ("Dazio", around 3-4%, depending on
> the kind of stuff (electronics, etc.)), neither VAT ("IVA") according to
> the EU country importing the stuff.
> From 22.01 to 150 € no customs duties, only VAT
> Over 150€ value, both customs duties and VAT have to be applied.
> I assume that "value" is real value +  shipping (even if already paid in
> the originating country) converted somehow to euros.
>
> Good luck :)
> Fabio
>  IZ4AFW / IO4W / NZ1W
>
> Il 04.05.2015 21:23, F5vjc ha scritto:
> > Anyone in Europe ordered the new synth boards from Elecraft? Did you have
> > to pay customs Tax?
> >
> > I've just received mine today in France, but was clobbered for Customs
> Tax,
> > another 96 Euros (about 107USD)  on top.
> >
> > I've queried this by email with French customs but not holding my
> breath...
> >

> > 73,  Deni - F5VJC

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]
> >

> ---
> Questa e-mail è stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast
> antivirus.

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Stewart@twinwood
Yes, I have been held hostage for £63.93 for UK Customs and Parcel Farce
charges.

They have failed (despite saying they have) contacted me re the delivery, so
tomorrow I have to try and track my parcel and wrench it from their grasp !

Stewart G3RXQ

On Mon, 4 May 2015 21:23:31 +0200, F5vjc wrote:

> Anyone in Europe ordered the new synth boards from Elecraft? Did you have
> to pay customs Tax?
>
> I've just received mine today in France, but was clobbered for Customs Tax,
> another 96 Euros (about 107USD)  on top.
>
> I've queried this by email with French customs but not holding my breath...
>

> 73,  Deni - F5VJC

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Robin Moseley
What customs charge are they trying to levy?  Surely it is due for VAT only?

Robin G1MHU

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2
Deni,

I payed the cost for customs clearance ( = EUR 13) plus the VAT.

73
Arie PA3A

F5vjc schreef op 4-5-2015 om 21:23:
> Anyone in Europe ordered the new synth boards from Elecraft? Did you have
> to pay customs Tax?

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Fred Townsend-2

As a Yank I have no idea how repairs are treated in terms of VAT and customs but I wonder if sending the K3 to the European repair center for 'repairs' would rank in costs.
From afar,
Fred, AE6QL

>What customs charge are they trying to levy?  Surely it is due for VAT only?
>
>Robin G1MHU

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Dave G3WGN M6O
Deni, that charge sounds like the expected VAT - which is charged on the boards and shipping cost.  In the UK we also have to pay Parcelfarce up to 18 quid admin fee for doing the customs clearance.
In the UK amateur radio items do not attract customs duty, not sure if that is also true in France, but I believe it to be an EU-wide rule - but it may not always be applied correctly.
So I think your charge is only (!) VAT and maybe a clearance charge.  Unavoidable, mate!
73 David currently F/G3WGN (Dept 81)

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Dominic Baines-3
Remember VAT (in UK) is charged on the value PLUS the postage costs so
if you paid for an expensive shipping  option you get bitten twice!

There is a low threshold below which no extra costs.

The extra costs on a load of Elecraft kit a couple years back (for me
and a couple others) when $/£ was good too was cheap enough to push the
equation to being able to pay for the Dayton air fare just to collect
the kit and pay the OHIO sales tax.

There is qrpproject.de for Elecraft kit in EU along with lots of other
vendors but not always cheaper but you need to add in the exchange rate
and postage if trying to compare prices.

72

Dom
M1KTA

On 05/05/15 08:08, Dave G3WGN M6O wrote:

> Deni, that charge sounds like the expected VAT - which is charged on the
> boards and shipping cost.  In the UK we also have to pay Parcelfarce up to
> 18 quid admin fee for doing the customs clearance.
> In the UK amateur radio items do not attract customs duty, not sure if that
> is also true in France, but I believe it to be an EU-wide rule - but it may
> not always be applied correctly.
> So I think your charge is only (!) VAT and maybe a clearance charge.
> Unavoidable, mate!
> 73 David currently F/G3WGN (Dept 81)

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Deni F5VJC
Ok, thanks to all who responded, it's possible the charges are correct.
I guess I may have over reacted to the doorstep demand of an additional 96
Euros, I paid it of course :)
It just surprised me as I was thinking there was an exemption code applied
by Elecraft for supply of  "Parts, Radio Telegraphic Apparatus-No aircraft"
and there is also a code indicated on the paperwork AES/TN Exemption NOEEI
30.37(a). exactly what this means I have no idea.

Hope to fit the new boards today :)

73,  Deni - F5VJC

On 5 May 2015 at 09:08, Dave G3WGN M6O <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Deni, that charge sounds like the expected VAT - which is charged on the
> boards and shipping cost.  In the UK we also have to pay Parcelfarce up to
> 18 quid admin fee for doing the customs clearance.
> In the UK amateur radio items do not attract customs duty, not sure if that
> is also true in France, but I believe it to be an EU-wide rule - but it may
> not always be applied correctly.
> So I think your charge is only (!) VAT and maybe a clearance charge.
> Unavoidable, mate!
> 73 David currently F/G3WGN (Dept 81)

K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Johnny Siu
Hello Dominic,
To my curiosity, if the KSYNA board were declared as second hand used electronic parts, would this also attract VAT?
If the answer is negative, you can then ask a friend in US to buy and send it you which is theoretically second hand product.
73
Johnny VR2XMC
      寄件人︰ Dominic Baines <[hidden email]>
 收件人︰ [hidden email]
 傳送日期︰ 2015年05月5日 (週二) 3:43 PM
 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Remember VAT (in UK) is charged on the value PLUS the postage costs so
if you paid for an expensive shipping  option you get bitten twice!

There is a low threshold below which no extra costs.

The extra costs on a load of Elecraft kit a couple years back (for me
and a couple others) when $/£ was good too was cheap enough to push the
equation to being able to pay for the Dayton air fare just to collect
the kit and pay the OHIO sales tax.

There is qrpproject.de for Elecraft kit in EU along with lots of other
vendors but not always cheaper but you need to add in the exchange rate
and postage if trying to compare prices.

72

Dom
M1KTA

On 05/05/15 08:08, Dave G3WGN M6O wrote:
> Deni, that charge sounds like the expected VAT - which is charged on the
> boards and shipping cost.  In the UK we also have to pay Parcelfarce up to
> 18 quid admin fee for doing the customs clearance.
> In the UK amateur radio items do not attract customs duty, not sure if that
> is also true in France, but I believe it to be an EU-wide rule - but it may
> not always be applied correctly.
> So I think your charge is only (!) VAT and maybe a clearance charge.
> Unavoidable, mate!
> 73 David currently F/G3WGN (Dept 81)

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Clive Lorton
Hi Johnny,
Answer Yes. it goes on value.
Clive G8POC

On 05/05/2015 08:49, Johnny Siu wrote:

> Hello Dominic,
> To my curiosity, if the KSYNA board were declared as second hand used electronic parts, would this also attract VAT?
> If the answer is negative, you can then ask a friend in US to buy and send it you which is theoretically second hand product.
> 73
> Johnny VR2XMC
>        寄件人︰ Dominic Baines <[hidden email]>
>   收件人︰ [hidden email]
>   傳送日期︰ 2015年05月5日 (週二) 3:43 PM
>   主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 New Synth boards in Eu?
>
> Remember VAT (in UK) is charged on the value PLUS the postage costs so
> if you paid for an expensive shipping  option you get bitten twice!
>
> There is a low threshold below which no extra costs.
>
> The extra costs on a load of Elecraft kit a couple years back (for me
> and a couple others) when $/£ was good too was cheap enough to push the
> equation to being able to pay for the Dayton air fare just to collect
> the kit and pay the OHIO sales tax.
>
> There is qrpproject.de for Elecraft kit in EU along with lots of other
> vendors but not always cheaper but you need to add in the exchange rate
> and postage if trying to compare prices.
>
> 72
>
> Dom
> M1KTA
>

> On 05/05/15 08:08, Dave G3WGN M6O wrote:
>> Deni, that charge sounds like the expected VAT - which is charged on the
>> boards and shipping cost.  In the UK we also have to pay Parcelfarce up to
>> 18 quid admin fee for doing the customs clearance.
>> In the UK amateur radio items do not attract customs duty, not sure if that
>> is also true in France, but I believe it to be an EU-wide rule - but it may
>> not always be applied correctly.
>> So I think your charge is only (!) VAT and maybe a clearance charge.
>> Unavoidable, mate!
>> 73 David currently F/G3WGN (Dept 81)

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Gary Gregory-2
Gee whiz guys....i aint never going to complain about OzPost again.

Well at least till i order from Elecraft...

:-)

Gary
Vk1ZZ
K3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT
On 05/05/2015 7:07 PM, "Clive Lorton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Johnny,
> Answer Yes. it goes on value.
> Clive G8POC
>
> On 05/05/2015 08:49, Johnny Siu wrote:
>
>> Hello Dominic,
>> To my curiosity, if the KSYNA board were declared as second hand used
>> electronic parts, would this also attract VAT?
>> If the answer is negative, you can then ask a friend in US to buy and
>> send it you which is theoretically second hand product.
>> 73
>> Johnny VR2XMC
>>        寄件人︰ Dominic Baines <[hidden email]>
>>   收件人︰ [hidden email]
>>   傳送日期︰ 2015年05月5日 (週二) 3:43 PM
>>   主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 New Synth boards in Eu?
>>     Remember VAT (in UK) is charged on the value PLUS the postage costs so
>> if you paid for an expensive shipping  option you get bitten twice!
>>
>> There is a low threshold below which no extra costs.
>>
>> The extra costs on a load of Elecraft kit a couple years back (for me
>> and a couple others) when $/£ was good too was cheap enough to push the
>> equation to being able to pay for the Dayton air fare just to collect
>> the kit and pay the OHIO sales tax.
>>
>> There is qrpproject.de for Elecraft kit in EU along with lots of other
>> vendors but not always cheaper but you need to add in the exchange rate
>> and postage if trying to compare prices.
>>
>> 72
>>
>> Dom
>> M1KTA
>>

>> On 05/05/15 08:08, Dave G3WGN M6O wrote:
>>
>>> Deni, that charge sounds like the expected VAT - which is charged on the
>>> boards and shipping cost.  In the UK we also have to pay Parcelfarce up
>>> 18 quid admin fee for doing the customs clearance.
>>> In the UK amateur radio items do not attract customs duty, not sure if
>>> that
>>> is also true in France, but I believe it to be an EU-wide rule - but it
>>> may
>>> not always be applied correctly.
>>> So I think your charge is only (!) VAT and maybe a clearance charge.
>>> Unavoidable, mate!
>>> 73 David currently F/G3WGN (Dept 81)

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Alan. G4GNX
Apart from probably being illegal, it would be possible to down-value the
goods, but then if they are of any value, you'd have to declare it or risk
uninsured shipping.

I don't think that Customs care too much about the condition of the goods,
only the value. This makes life difficult when returning a high value item
for repair. The problem is that it is still high value although the tax has
been paid once on that value. In that case, you might be able to declare
that the goods are classed as used and appeal to Customs to not apply
purchase taxes. You would probably still have to pay VAT on the shipping
charges. :-(

ISTM that we need definitive answers from the relevant customs authorities.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

David Pratt
One solution would be to return the old Synth boards to Elecraft and
have the new ones sent as Replacements. There would then be no charge of
VAT for the either the boards or the shipping.  The only problem is that
the K3 would be out of commission until the 'replacements' arrive.

This has certainly put me off ordering the KSYN3A until the matter is
resolved satisfactorily.

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Stewart <[hidden email]> writes

--
 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
 | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Ken Chandler
Not the case!!
I've had the pleasure of returning my K3 back to the factory for adjustment.
I had the returns form, and proof of purchase form, some weeks later it was delivered by...........Parcel Force, and........No Charge!!!

Ken.. G0ORH

Sent from my iPad

> On 5 May 2015, at 12:36, G4GNX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Apart from probably being illegal, it would be possible to down-value the goods, but then if they are of any value, you'd have to declare it or risk uninsured shipping.
>
> I don't think that Customs care too much about the condition of the goods, only the value. This makes life difficult when returning a high value item for repair. The problem is that it is still high value although the tax has been paid once on that value. In that case, you might be able to declare that the goods are classed as used and appeal to Customs to not apply purchase taxes. You would probably still have to pay VAT on the shipping charges. :-(
>
> ISTM that we need definitive answers from the relevant customs authorities.
>

> 73,
>
> Alan. G4GNX
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Johnny Siu
> Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 8:49 AM
> To: Dominic Baines ; [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] K3 New Synth boards in Eu?
>
> Hello Dominic,
> To my curiosity, if the KSYNA board were declared as second hand used electronic parts, would this also attract VAT?
> If the answer is negative, you can then ask a friend in US to buy and send it you which is theoretically second hand product.
> 73
> Johnny VR2XMC

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Ken Chandler
Waters and Stanton have them in stock!

Ken.. G0ORH

Sent from my iPad

> On 5 May 2015, at 12:57, David G4DMP <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One solution would be to return the old Synth boards to Elecraft and
> have the new ones sent as Replacements. There would then be no charge of
> VAT for the either the boards or the shipping.  The only problem is that
> the K3 would be out of commission until the 'replacements' arrive.
>
> This has certainly put me off ordering the KSYN3A until the matter is
> resolved satisfactorily.
>
> 73 de David G4DMP
>
> In a recent message, Stewart <[hidden email]> writes
>> Yes, I have been held hostage for £63.93 for UK Customs and Parcel Farce
>> charges.
>>
>> They have failed (despite saying they have) contacted me re the delivery, so
>> tomorrow I have to try and track my parcel and wrench it from their grasp !
>>
>> Stewart G3RXQ
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 May 2015 21:23:31 +0200, F5vjc wrote:
>>> Anyone in Europe ordered the new synth boards from Elecraft? Did you have
>>> to pay customs Tax?
>>>
>>> I've just received mine today in France, but was clobbered for Customs Tax,
>>> another 96 Euros (about 107USD)  on top.
>>>
>>> I've queried this by email with French customs but not holding my breath...
> --
> + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
> | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |
> | Website: http://www.g4dmp.co.uk |
> + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Laurent F6DEX
HI Denis

The exemption code (TARIC code 8525 20 99) works and allows you an exemption of the additional custom fees but does not exempt from VAT... Elecraft is aware of that code and it should be on the papers.

Le code TARIC permet d'éviter les droits de douane mais pas la TVA ! En principe Elecraft connait ce code et il se trouve sur les papiers déclaratifs. Je n'ai jamais payé les droits de douane avec du matériel Elecraft, mais la TVA, si ...

73, Laurent F6DEX
Laurent F6DEX

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Jim Bolit
Isn't surplus and used equipment valued much lower?

Hams give away surplus equipment all the time.

Jim
W6AIM

> To my curiosity, if the KSYNA board were declared as second hand used electronic parts, would this also attract VAT?
> If the answer is negative, you can then ask a friend in US to buy and send it you which is theoretically second hand product.
> 73
> Johnny VR2XMC
>        寄件人︰ Dominic Baines <[hidden email]>
>   收件人︰ [hidden email]
>   傳送日期︰ 2015年05月5日 (週二) 3:43 PM
>   主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 New Synth boards in Eu?
>
> Remember VAT (in UK) is charged on the value PLUS the postage costs so
> if you paid for an expensive shipping  option you get bitten twice!
>
> There is a low threshold below which no extra costs.
>
> The extra costs on a load of Elecraft kit a couple years back (for me
> and a couple others) when $/£ was good too was cheap enough to push
> the equation to being able to pay for the Dayton air fare just to
> collect the kit and pay the OHIO sales tax.
>
> There is qrpproject.de for Elecraft kit in EU along with lots of other
> vendors but not always cheaper but you need to add in the exchange
> rate and postage if trying to compare prices.
>
> 72
>
> Dom
> M1KTA
>

> On 05/05/15 08:08, Dave G3WGN M6O wrote:
>> Deni, that charge sounds like the expected VAT - which is charged on
>> the boards and shipping cost.  In the UK we also have to pay
>> Parcelfarce up to
>> 18 quid admin fee for doing the customs clearance.
>> In the UK amateur radio items do not attract customs duty, not sure
>> if that is also true in France, but I believe it to be an EU-wide
>> rule - but it may not always be applied correctly.
>> So I think your charge is only (!) VAT and maybe a clearance charge.
>> Unavoidable, mate!
>> 73 David currently F/G3WGN (Dept 81)

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 New Synth boards in Eu?

Jim Bolit
One mans valued prize is another's junk, with little or no value.

Jim
W6AIM