K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Alan Sewell N5NA
I'm posting this for future reference in case someone else has this problem.

Yesterday while listening to my K3 it suddenly quit receiving any
signals.  I also had no RF output.  There were no error messages.

I have two KSYN3A modules in my rig.  I did a search and found a post by
W1ZK in September who had the same symptoms.  He posted he had a bad
synthesizer.  When I checked the DISP SYN1 and SYN2 both showed OK so I
didn't think I had a bad synthesizer.

Before calling Elecraft this afternoon I removed the top to see if I
might have a loose TMP cable on one of the synthesizers.  None were
loose but I did give a twist to the ones I could easily reach.  When I
hooked the K3 back up it was working again.  Apparently there was a bit
of tarnish/corrosion on one of the connectors and I twisted the right one.

Hopefully it will keep working!

73, Alan N5NA

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Guy Olinger K2AV
The outer shell of the TMP plug can be connected without being fully
inserted into the TMP connector. This can result in an intermittent on the
center conductor that comes and goes with temperature change, or breathing
hard, or changes in phases of the moon. The little flanges on the TMP plug
should be nearly up to the TMP connector shell when fully inserted.

In my experience, myself and those around here who call for help, this is a
common trouble.

You could still be not fully inserted.

73, Guy K2AV

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Alan Sewell N5NA <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm posting this for future reference in case someone else has this
> problem.
>
> Yesterday while listening to my K3 it suddenly quit receiving any
> signals.  I also had no RF output.  There were no error messages.
>
> I have two KSYN3A modules in my rig.  I did a search and found a post by
> W1ZK in September who had the same symptoms.  He posted he had a bad
> synthesizer.  When I checked the DISP SYN1 and SYN2 both showed OK so I
> didn't think I had a bad synthesizer.
>
> Before calling Elecraft this afternoon I removed the top to see if I might
> have a loose TMP cable on one of the synthesizers.  None were loose but I
> did give a twist to the ones I could easily reach.  When I hooked the K3
> back up it was working again.  Apparently there was a bit of
> tarnish/corrosion on one of the connectors and I twisted the right one.
>
> Hopefully it will keep working!
>
> 73, Alan N5NA

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Alan Sewell N5NA
You were right Guy.  My rig ran fine all day yesterday and then last
night I had the same problem.  Opened it up and used some needle-nose
pliers on the TMP connectors to twist and push.  I was able to insert a
couple a little further and found one was only about half inserted.
Maybe I have it this time!

73, Alan N5NA

On 10/19/2015 3:05 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> The outer shell of the TMP plug can be connected without being fully
> inserted into the TMP connector. This can result in an intermittent on
> the center conductor that comes and goes with temperature change, or
> breathing hard, or changes in phases of the moon. The little flanges
> on the TMP plug should be nearly up to the TMP connector shell when
> fully inserted.
>
> In my experience, myself and those around here who call for help, this
> is a common trouble.
>
> You could still be not fully inserted.
>
> 73, Guy K2AV
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Alan Sewell N5NA <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I'm posting this for future reference in case someone else has
>     this problem.
>
>     Yesterday while listening to my K3 it suddenly quit receiving any
>     signals.  I also had no RF output.  There were no error messages.
>
>     I have two KSYN3A modules in my rig.  I did a search and found a
>     post by W1ZK in September who had the same symptoms.  He posted he
>     had a bad synthesizer.  When I checked the DISP SYN1 and SYN2 both
>     showed OK so I didn't think I had a bad synthesizer.
>
>     Before calling Elecraft this afternoon I removed the top to see if
>     I might have a loose TMP cable on one of the synthesizers.  None
>     were loose but I did give a twist to the ones I could easily
>     reach.  When I hooked the K3 back up it was working again.
>     Apparently there was a bit of tarnish/corrosion on one of the
>     connectors and I twisted the right one.
>
>     Hopefully it will keep working!
>
>     73, Alan N5NA
>     Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>     This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>     Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>     Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Elecraft mailing list
When I built my K3, my thumb was bleeding after inserting the TMP
connectors.  They are nasty little things!

73, George, K5KG.

On 10/20/2015 9:35 AM, Alan Sewell N5NA wrote:

> You were right Guy.  My rig ran fine all day yesterday and then last
> night I had the same problem.  Opened it up and used some needle-nose
> pliers on the TMP connectors to twist and push.  I was able to insert
> a couple a little further and found one was only about half inserted.
> Maybe I have it this time!
>
> 73, Alan N5NA
>
> On 10/19/2015 3:05 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
>> The outer shell of the TMP plug can be connected without being fully
>> inserted into the TMP connector. This can result in an intermittent
>> on the center conductor that comes and goes with temperature change,
>> or breathing hard, or changes in phases of the moon. The little
>> flanges on the TMP plug should be nearly up to the TMP connector
>> shell when fully inserted.
>>
>> In my experience, myself and those around here who call for help,
>> this is a common trouble.
>>
>> You could still be not fully inserted.
>>
>> 73, Guy K2AV
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Alan Sewell N5NA <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     I'm posting this for future reference in case someone else has
>>     this problem.
>>
>>     Yesterday while listening to my K3 it suddenly quit receiving any
>>     signals.  I also had no RF output.  There were no error messages.
>>
>>     I have two KSYN3A modules in my rig.  I did a search and found a
>>     post by W1ZK in September who had the same symptoms.  He posted he
>>     had a bad synthesizer.  When I checked the DISP SYN1 and SYN2 both
>>     showed OK so I didn't think I had a bad synthesizer.
>>
>>     Before calling Elecraft this afternoon I removed the top to see if
>>     I might have a loose TMP cable on one of the synthesizers. None
>>     were loose but I did give a twist to the ones I could easily
>>     reach.  When I hooked the K3 back up it was working again.
>> Apparently there was a bit of tarnish/corrosion on one of the
>>     connectors and I twisted the right one.
>>
>>     Hopefully it will keep working!
>>
>>     73, Alan N5NA
>>     Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
>>     This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>     Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>     Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

George Wagner, K5KG
Sarasota, FL
941-400-1960

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
I though that is what needle nose pliers and surgical forceps are used
for.........plugging in TMP connectors.  The side tabs on the TMP
connectors make for an excellent gripping tab for forceps.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 10/20/2015 8:41 AM, George K5KG via Elecraft wrote:
> When I built my K3, my thumb was bleeding after inserting the TMP
> connectors.  They are nasty little things!
>
> 73, George, K5KG.

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Peter Pauly
Maybe the next version of radio can use SMA board mount connectors.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 20, 2015, at 08:41, George K5KG via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I built my K3, my thumb was bleeding after inserting the TMP connectors.  They are nasty little things!
>
> 73, George, K5KG.
>
>> On 10/20/2015 9:35 AM, Alan Sewell N5NA wrote:
>> You were right Guy.  My rig ran fine all day yesterday and then last night I had the same problem.  Opened it up and used some needle-nose pliers on the TMP connectors to twist and push.  I was able to insert a couple a little further and found one was only about half inserted.  Maybe I have it this time!
>>
>> 73, Alan N5NA
>>
>>> On 10/19/2015 3:05 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:
>>> The outer shell of the TMP plug can be connected without being fully inserted into the TMP connector. This can result in an intermittent on the center conductor that comes and goes with temperature change, or breathing hard, or changes in phases of the moon. The little flanges on the TMP plug should be nearly up to the TMP connector shell when fully inserted.
>>>
>>> In my experience, myself and those around here who call for help, this is a common trouble.
>>>
>>> You could still be not fully inserted.
>>>
>>> 73, Guy K2AV
>>>
>>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 3:02 PM, Alan Sewell N5NA <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    I'm posting this for future reference in case someone else has
>>>    this problem.
>>>
>>>    Yesterday while listening to my K3 it suddenly quit receiving any
>>>    signals.  I also had no RF output.  There were no error messages.
>>>
>>>    I have two KSYN3A modules in my rig.  I did a search and found a
>>>    post by W1ZK in September who had the same symptoms.  He posted he
>>>    had a bad synthesizer.  When I checked the DISP SYN1 and SYN2 both
>>>    showed OK so I didn't think I had a bad synthesizer.
>>>
>>>    Before calling Elecraft this afternoon I removed the top to see if
>>>    I might have a loose TMP cable on one of the synthesizers. None
>>>    were loose but I did give a twist to the ones I could easily
>>>    reach.  When I hooked the K3 back up it was working again.     Apparently there was a bit of tarnish/corrosion on one of the
>>>    connectors and I twisted the right one.
>>>
>>>    Hopefully it will keep working!
>>>
>>>    73, Alan N5NA
>>>    Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>>    <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>
>>>    This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>>    Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>>    Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> George Wagner, K5KG
> Sarasota, FL
> 941-400-1960

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Petr, OK1RP/M0SIS
Alan,

big congrats! Seems like Mr. Murphy left your house and you found it quickly.

In general it looks like boards should be redesigned for more reliable connectors as SMA or even better one.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Bob-270
The cost differential probably makes that impractical.

However does anyone know if there is a tool for insertion and removal of those
TMP connectors?   I'd surely invest in one if I ever saw it.  They definitely
are a PITA.

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR .

On 10/20/2015 10:13 AM, Peter Pauly wrote:

> Maybe the next version of radio can use SMA board mount connectors.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Oct 20, 2015, at 08:41, George K5KG via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> When I built my K3, my thumb was bleeding after inserting the TMP connectors.  They are nasty little things!
>>
>> 73, George, K5KG.
>>
>>> On 10/20/2015 9:35 AM, Alan Sewell N5NA wrote:
>>> You were right Guy.  My rig ran fine all day yesterday and then last night I had the same problem.  Opened it up and used some needle-nose pliers on the TMP connectors to twist and push.  I was able to insert a couple a little further and found one was only about half inserted.  Maybe I have it this time!
>>>
>>> 73, Alan N5NA

FW: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Charlie T, K3ICH

Same here.  I wouldn't dare use my bare fingers on
those things.

chas

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Vic Rosenthal
The TMP connectors are not that hard to insert, but the danger is that
it is easy to apply too much force when they are not aligned properly,
and damage the socket-board connection. You can lift the trace from the
board if you are not careful (yes, I learned this the hard way).

The trick is to start them by hand and make absolutely sure the center
pin is in its socket, and then push them all the way in with a tool like
very small needle-nose pliers or forceps.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

On 20 Oct 2015 19:07, Bob wrote:
> The cost differential probably makes that impractical.
>
> However does anyone know if there is a tool for insertion and removal of
> those TMP connectors?   I'd surely invest in one if I ever saw it.  They
> definitely are a PITA.
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR .

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Petr, OK1RP/M0SIS
This post was updated on .
Hi Bob,

The TMP hand-crimp-tool link is here:
http://www.scsiglobal.com/TaikoDenki/hand_crimp_tool.htm

I did not see inserting/removal tool yet.

More details about the TMP technology (I do not like it :) is here:
http://ok1rp.blogspot.ch/2015/10/elecraft-k3-tmp-k01x-a1-connector-and.html

regards,

73 - Petr, OK1RP

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Petr, OK1RP/M0SIS
Hi,

btw: The TMP cable 12" is the Elecraft part: #E850339.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Guy Olinger K2AV
Vic has it correct. Thinking carefully about what I did, without ever
hurting my fingers:

I gradually insert the TMP lightly with a back and forth twisting motion
and ALWAYS wiggle the connector a little until I feel the opening for the
center conductor.  Then a slight bit more push after I'm sure the pin is in
the center. IMPORTANT and counter-intuitive:

===>>> Pushing hard on the TMP will frequently (always?) **NOT** force the
pin into the center hole if the tip is even just a little misaligned. <<<===

I think trying to force a misaligned center pin causes a lot of the finger
trauma and busted connector stuff. After correctly aligning the center pin
as above, seating the TMP is easy with the side of needle nose pliers held
flat across the flanges.

A little tool would be nice. **But if the tip is misaligned,** the
increased pressure possible from the tool would just break more things.

TMP connectors are a decent cost reduction if the folks using them are
educated to the technique.

SMA connectors? A lot of things could be better if the K3(S) was
manufactured to MIL-Spec. But what would it cost? Currently Elecraft is the
least expensive product still riding the bleeding edge of improvements in
our microscopic niche in the electronics world. We are capable of figuring
out and dealing with things like TMP connectors.

Eight years later and Yakencom is just now catching up. They certainly did
not want to, but were thrashed so badly in technical head to head
comparisons they HAD to. Elecraft technology is singularly responsible for
forcing the greatest improvement in both analog SDR hybrid and pure SDR ham
equipment across manufacturers. When JA1MP died, and the FT1000MP's were
out, Yakencom just went to sitting on their collective b*tts, and
concentrated on fluff to sell more units. Nature abhors a vacuum, and
Elecraft appeared.

These days one can't brag unless your rig is as good as a K3(S) in the tech
listings. And the legion of comparison-mongers out there will hit you on
every nit of difference on anything, CW keying shape, effectiveness of NB,
transmitting bandwidth, QSK, degree of overload in ridiculous
circumstances, yada, yada, you'll hear it about everything. Anyone sitting
on their laurels will be left in the dust. That "anyone" could potentially
include Elecraft. But thankfully Big E is still about doing things like a
vastly improved synthesizer and forever working on their firmware.

Good luck everyone, and 73,
Guy K2AV.

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015, Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The TMP connectors are not that hard to insert, but the danger is that it
> is easy to apply too much force when they are not aligned properly, and
> damage the socket-board connection. You can lift the trace from the board
> if you are not careful (yes, I learned this the hard way).
>
> The trick is to start them by hand and make absolutely sure the center pin
> is in its socket, and then push them all the way in with a tool like very
> small needle-nose pliers or forceps.

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

Edward R Cole
I'd be careful what I asked for.  Sma connectors are way more
difficult to connect than TMP.  In close quarters almost impossible
to turn the nut on a sma and the fine thread has to be exactly
aligned.  I have two custom-made tools for doing that and that is not
always good enough.

Better would be one of the miniature mw connectors that just
push-on.  But cost comes into the design consideration.  These TMP
are used in many radios for low-level RF connections that are hardly
ever disconnected (except for maintenance or upgrades).

What you are doing is making upgrades which most hams never will do
with other brands (they get to buy new rigs instead).  Be glad you
are not asked to solder sm parts to make the upgrade!

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: K3 No Receive, No Transmit - SOLVED

gm3sek
Another point worth making is that connectors and users "train" each
other, so it all becomes easier with practice.

First-time assembly of multi-pole or TMP connectors may be a little
difficult because of production tolerances. But once the pins have been
successfully aligned with each other, they will connect much more easily
in future.

At the same time, the connector is training you - showing you how to
line up the pins correctly, and how to recognize by look and feel when
the connector has been correctly mated.

And finally, don't forget "Rule 1 of Elecraft Assembly": Everything fits
together *exactly*. If that doesn't seem to be the case, try
repositioning the user.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

<<<===

> [...]

>vastly improved synthesizer and forever working on their firmware.
>
>Good luck everyone, and 73,
>Guy K2AV.
>
>On Tuesday, October 20, 2015, Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP/K2VCO
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> The TMP connectors are not that hard to insert, but the danger is
that it
>> is easy to apply too much force when they are not aligned properly,
and
>> damage the socket-board connection. You can lift the trace from the
>board
>> if you are not careful (yes, I learned this the hard way).
>>
>> The trick is to start them by hand and make absolutely sure the
center pin
>> is in its socket, and then push them all the way in with a tool like

What were those dinky looking cable to board
connectors that Drake used in their TR-7?  I'm
certainly NOT advocating a change to those, but I
don't think I've ever seen them used on any other
equipment.  As chintzy as they looked, I seldom
ran into a situation where their connection was
flaky. They used the center conductor of the coax
and had some sort of crimped on shell for the
shield.  They were also a bit tricky to align, but
seemed to work OK.

Since this is way off the thread, I'd request a
direct reply since I doubt if anyone else cares.

Charlie k3ICH