K3 PSK31 VIA PADDLE

Mike K4PI
Using my K3 on RTTY  and sending via my paddle I have no problems.  On PSK31
I can decode signals but my outgoing PSK31 signal has some kind of problem.
I can monitor it on another rig set up for PSK31 and nothing ever decodes.
I can hear the data changing but apparently it is not correct.  Anyone using
PSK31 and sending it via a paddle?  73 Mike

Re: K3 PSK31 VIA PADDLE

Brett Howard
Did you check your polarity?

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 16:27 +0000, k4pi wrote:

> Using my K3 on RTTY  and sending via my paddle I have no problems.  On PSK31
> I can decode signals but my outgoing PSK31 signal has some kind of problem.
> I can monitor it on another rig set up for PSK31 and nothing ever decodes.
> I can hear the data changing but apparently it is not correct.  Anyone using
> PSK31 and sending it via a paddle?  73 Mike

Re: K3 PSK31 VIA PADDLE

Mark KN7T
I've used the CW to PSK-31 function and I've had reports from others that some of the characters being sent are chopped off and not displayed on the receiving end ???  I have no idea what is causing that or how to fix it.

RE: K3 PSK31 VIA PADDLE

Don Nesbitt
Hi Mark - the algorithm used in the K3 to convert what you send on the
paddle (CW) into what goes out on the air as either PSK-31 or RTTY is VERY
UNFORGIVING!  If you are just a bit sloppy in using the paddle (and I am)
the CW will be converted into gibberish for the fellow on the other end!

This might be what is happening.

You can see how well you are doing by watching the display of what you are
sending to see if it really is what you intend.  For example, you mean to
send the letter "h" using the paddle and it "sounds" good to you - but - you
look at the display and see something like "e" followed by "s" - that's what
the other guy is going to see!

So, you might try practicing (put the K3 in "Test" mode) with the paddle to
see if you really are sending within the algorithm's ability to decode - you
might be surprised that CW that "sounds" good to you just does not convert
to what you want!

One solution is to put a message into one of the M1 - M4 memories and send
it from there - that seems to work just great for many users.

73 es gud dxing -- Don N4HH K3/100/KRX3 #83