K3 Power cal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

K3 Power cal

K5DNL
Hello all,

I have 2 K3's and both have this same problem .
In transverter mode the drive for a downeast 2 meter transverter

That I use for EME,  The power comes up slow.

I also have a HomeBrew 630 meter transverter the same problem.

This problem has pledge me for the past few years.
I have done all of the power cal many times too no avail.
Would appreciate any help.

Thanks Ken K5DNL / WG2XXM
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Power cal

Bruce Beford-2
Not enough info.
Are you running an audio based mode? i.e. JT65? If so, then it is very
likely that you are not setting the audio levels properly to drive the
K3(s). If the audio level is not set properly, the K3 will try to increase
system gain to reach the desired output, resulting in the symptom you
report.

Bruce, N1RX

> I have 2 K3's and both have this same problem .
> In transverter mode the drive for a downeast 2 meter transverter
> That I use for EME,  The power comes up slow.
> I also have a HomeBrew 630 meter transverter the same problem.




______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Power cal

Jack Brabham
In reply to this post by K5DNL
I have the same problem with my K3 on AM and SSB.

Particularly on the initial transmission the power ramps up slowly, like
over 5 to 10 seconds.   I went round and round with Elecraft about this
problem when the rig was new (#4175), sent it back to them twice, and
never got anything resembling an admission that the problem exists.

It is not consistent, sometimes it works as it should, and sometimes it
has the problem to varying degrees.

I finally concluded that it is a design flaw that Elecraft doesn't want
to deal with and just learned to live with it.

73 Jack KZ5A

On 1/12/2014 12:14 PM, Ken Roberson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have 2 K3's and both have this same problem .
> In transverter mode the drive for a downeast 2 meter transverter
>
> That I use for EME,  The power comes up slow.
>
> I also have a HomeBrew 630 meter transverter the same problem.
>
> This problem has pledge me for the past few years.
> I have done all of the power cal many times too no avail.
> Would appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks Ken K5DNL / WG2XXM
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Power cal

Don Wilhelm-4
Jack,

Are you driving the K3 with enough audio?  You should have the audio
input level set high enough to produce 5 to 7 bars indication on the ALC
meter.
If you do not drive the audio sufficiently, the behavior will be exactly
as you have said.
We usually encounter this situation in digital modes, but it is just as
applicable to voice modes.

Yes, the Elecraft K2, K3 and KX3 are unique in how the power output is
controlled - some commercial gear does it similarly, but AFAIK no other
amateur transceivers do it that way.  The output power is measured and
compared to the requested power level, then the drive is adjusted in an
attempt to match the requested power.  If the audio drive is low, it
will take some time to come up to full power.  The answer is to drive
the audio to the level indicated in the manual - 5 to 7 ALC bars for
voice modes, 4 bars with the 5th bar flickering for digital modes.  Note
that the K3 "ALC" meter is both an audio level and an ALC indicator.  
Internal ALC does not begin until the 5th bar is illuminated.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 1/13/2014 9:39 AM, Jack Brabham wrote:

> I have the same problem with my K3 on AM and SSB.
>
> Particularly on the initial transmission the power ramps up slowly,
> like over 5 to 10 seconds.   I went round and round with Elecraft
> about this problem when the rig was new (#4175), sent it back to them
> twice, and never got anything resembling an admission that the problem
> exists.
>
> It is not consistent, sometimes it works as it should, and sometimes
> it has the problem to varying degrees.
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Power cal

Jack Brabham
Don,

Nice try and I have seen the issue in SSB as you describe. However my
issue has to do with the initial carrier level in AM (amplitude
modulation) mode which occurs with the audio properly adjusted.

73 Jack KZ5A

On 1/13/2014 9:06 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Jack,
>
> Are you driving the K3 with enough audio?  You should have the audio
> input level set high enough to produce 5 to 7 bars indication on the
> ALC meter.
> If you do not drive the audio sufficiently, the behavior will be
> exactly as you have said.
> We usually encounter this situation in digital modes, but it is just
> as applicable to voice modes.
>
> Yes, the Elecraft K2, K3 and KX3 are unique in how the power output is
> controlled - some commercial gear does it similarly, but AFAIK no
> other amateur transceivers do it that way.  The output power is
> measured and compared to the requested power level, then the drive is
> adjusted in an attempt to match the requested power. If the audio
> drive is low, it will take some time to come up to full power.  The
> answer is to drive the audio to the level indicated in the manual - 5
> to 7 ALC bars for voice modes, 4 bars with the 5th bar flickering for
> digital modes.  Note that the K3 "ALC" meter is both an audio level
> and an ALC indicator.  Internal ALC does not begin until the 5th bar
> is illuminated.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 1/13/2014 9:39 AM, Jack Brabham wrote:
>> I have the same problem with my K3 on AM and SSB.
>>
>> Particularly on the initial transmission the power ramps up slowly,
>> like over 5 to 10 seconds.   I went round and round with Elecraft
>> about this problem when the rig was new (#4175), sent it back to them
>> twice, and never got anything resembling an admission that the
>> problem exists.
>>
>> It is not consistent, sometimes it works as it should, and sometimes
>> it has the problem to varying degrees.
>>
>
> .
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html