K3 QSK thumps

Eric Manning
Thanks to everyone for suggestions.
Turning up the sidetone level helped.
NB and power level didn't affect it at all as far as I could see.

eric
VA7DZ
K3 3620 + ICOM 500w amp [with external ALC connected]

believed to be clean.

K3 Auto CW Speed

Val-12
One of the most used controls in my K3 is the CW speed. The most missed
permanent information on the display is the speed too.

This is because the ham politeness demands always to call somebody at his
speed.

It's easy to tell the other station's speed, but often I dont remember where
I have set mine the last time. Then I have to touch the control to see the
value, and to adjust it if needed.

Not a big deal, but this lead me to an idea for Auto CW speed function. When
turned ON, it would match the keyer speed to the received CW signal speed.
In SEMI position, it would do the same not permanently, but on tapping the
speed control knob.

A shortcut from the wpm meter, already embeded in the text decoder, toward
the internal keyer would add some artificial intellect to K3, and would
contribute to more courtesy on the bands :).

73 Val LZ1VB

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

DK4XL
... and the next step would be that the K3 is looking
automatically for cw qsos in the speed you choose ?

IMHO, there are some other things to improve in the K3,
for example increasing the possible max cw speed
from 50 to at least 60 wpm or more.

Martin
DK4XL

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

lstavenhagen
Now this is a feature I'd support too.... Over the years I've gotten reasonably good at guessing speeds, but I still tend to overestimate this. I was working some of the stations in the 7QP contest last night with my K3 and RUMLog and on several occasions estimated their speed at around 30wpm. But when I adjusted the keyer to their speed it was closer to 25wpm.

It'd be pretty cool if the rig had the option to figure out the character speed and be able to adjust the keyer accordingly. Tho if the sending station is using Farnsworth weighting, you might still want to do this manually....

As for a permanent display of keying speed, yeah I can see how the lack of real estate on the display is a problem here. But I'd support that too (tho RUMLog for example always displays the keyer speed in the keyer dialog)....

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

Phil Hystad-3
If this feature existed I think I would still choose to set my speed manually.
Changing keyer speed by large amounts is always something that takes me a
few moments to get used to.  For example, if I hear a guy CQ'ing at 15 wpm
and I am operating at 25 wpm, if I were to immediately go to 15 wpm I would
be making lots of mistakes, such as dropping out dots and dashes which is my
usual mistake for such a move.

73, phil, K7PEH

On May 2, 2010, at 8:54 AM, lstavenhagen wrote:

> Now this is a feature I'd support too.... Over the years I've gotten
> reasonably good at guessing speeds, but I still tend to overestimate this. I
> was working some of the stations in the 7QP contest last night with my K3
> and RUMLog and on several occasions estimated their speed at around 30wpm.
> But when I adjusted the keyer to their speed it was closer to 25wpm.
>
> It'd be pretty cool if the rig had the option to figure out the character
> speed and be able to adjust the keyer accordingly. Tho if the sending
> station is using Farnsworth weighting, you might still want to do this
> manually....
>
> As for a permanent display of keying speed, yeah I can see how the lack of
> real estate on the display is a problem here. But I'd support that too (tho
> RUMLog for example always displays the keyer speed in the keyer dialog)....
>
> 73,
> LS
> W5QD

K3 Auto CW Speed

Ken Kopp-3

Of absolutely no interest to me.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

Phil Salas
"One of the most used controls in my K3 is the CW speed. The most missed
permanent information on the display is the speed too."

Me too!  Phil - AD5X

"It's easy to tell the other station's speed, but often I dont remember
where
I have set mine the last time. Then I have to touch the control to see the
value, and to adjust it if needed."

Again - me too!  Phil - AD5X

Not a big deal, but this lead me to an idea for Auto CW speed function. When
turned ON, it would match the keyer speed to the received CW signal speed.
In SEMI position, it would do the same not permanently, but on tapping the
speed control knob.

I think this is a good idea.
Phil - AD5X

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

lstavenhagen
Ah, very good point.... when using paddles I do this too. Tho I just always make mistakes with the paddles anyway hi hi.

But if you're using a keyboard, I can see how it could be useful. Oh well, not something I'll get rid of my K3 for if it's never implemented but seems like it could be neat to have.

Finally got my Macbook Pro back from the repair shop. And it's way quieter in terms of RFI/EMI than my Macbook so I'm likely not going to be using paddles very much in any event....

73,
LS
W5QD

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

Cookie
I can see how a display would be nice, but with the busy LCD that is not easily modified I don't know where they would put it.  I don't see how auto speed would be possible unless you always worked strong signals and never try to dig one out of the QRM.  Personally I use Bugs and Straight Keys most of the time and prefer my WinKeyer to the one in the K3.
 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

________________________________

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

Rick Prather-2
Since you use cocoaModem, one work around for this is use it to copy the CW.  I sometimes do that for a backup and it will display the incoming CW speed.

Rick
K6LE

On 5/2/2010, at 8:54 , lstavenhagen wrote:

> Now this is a feature I'd support too.... Over the years I've gotten
> reasonably good at guessing speeds, but I still tend to overestimate this. I
> was working some of the stations in the 7QP contest last night with my K3
> and RUMLog and on several occasions estimated their speed at around 30wpm.
> But when I adjusted the keyer to their speed it was closer to 25wpm.
>
> It'd be pretty cool if the rig had the option to figure out the character
> speed and be able to adjust the keyer accordingly. Tho if the sending
> station is using Farnsworth weighting, you might still want to do this
> manually....
>
> As for a permanent display of keying speed, yeah I can see how the lack of
> real estate on the display is a problem here. But I'd support that too (tho
> RUMLog for example always displays the keyer speed in the keyer dialog)....
>
> 73,
> LS
> W5QD

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

The Smiths

The K3 CAN display the incoming cw speed , it's in the CWT text reading menu.  you can have it up all the time.  Turning the knob to set your speed isn't that hard once you know where you should be. I don't belive there's a need for auto setting on this.

> Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 08:54:20 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Auto CW Speed
>

> Now this is a feature I'd support too.... Over the years I've gotten
> reasonably good at guessing speeds, but I still tend to overestimate this. I
> was working some of the stations in the 7QP contest last night with my K3
> and RUMLog and on several occasions estimated their speed at around 30wpm.
> But when I adjusted the keyer to their speed it was closer to 25wpm.
>
> It'd be pretty cool if the rig had the option to figure out the character
> speed and be able to adjust the keyer accordingly. Tho if the sending
> station is using Farnsworth weighting, you might still want to do this
> manually....
>
> As for a permanent display of keying speed, yeah I can see how the lack of
> real estate on the display is a problem here. But I'd support that too (tho
> RUMLog for example always displays the keyer speed in the keyer dialog)....
>
> 73,
> LS
> W5QD

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

Kok Chen

On May 2, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Rick Prather wrote:

> I sometimes do that [using cocoaModem] for a backup and it will display the incoming CW speed.

Should probably qualify it with "roughly the incoming CW speed when the SNR is good, and the guy sending the Morse is not afflicted by some weird swing" :-) :-)

That said, it is definitely much easier for a machine to guess the Morse speed than for it to guess what characters were sent. HI.

73
Chen, W7AY

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

Rick Prather-2
Yes,

I never use the cocoaModem display for setting speed.  Just mentioned it as
a workaround if someone feels they need it.

I usually am able to guesstimate the speed close enough to get a QSO going
and can trim from there.

About the only time I use the display in ccM is when I want to get an idea
how fast some smoking dude is going.

Rick
K6LE

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Kok Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On May 2, 2010, at 10:03 AM, Rick Prather wrote:
>
> > I sometimes do that [using cocoaModem] for a backup and it will display
> the incoming CW speed.
>
> Should probably qualify it with "roughly the incoming CW speed when the SNR
> is good, and the guy sending the Morse is not afflicted by some weird swing"
> :-) :-)
>
> That said, it is definitely much easier for a machine to guess the Morse
> speed than for it to guess what characters were sent. HI.
>
> 73
> Chen, W7AY

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

Ralph Parker
>...this lead me to an idea for Auto CW speed function. When turned ON,
>it would match the keyer speed to the received CW signal speed...

Go get him, Joe...

VE7XF

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

Dave Agsten
I see more use for the CW/CW-Rev config option than I do for Auto CW Speed. In fact, auto CW speed is of no use at all here.
 73,
Dave N8AG

Re: K3 Auto CW Speed

lstavenhagen
Well, good counter arguments from folks here.. Ops sending with bugs where the characters aren't spot on in terms of timings are a good case in point.....

For that and the other reasons, I'm convinced and officially withdraw my support for adding this feature hi hi.

As for machine copy of CW, I'm actually better at that in many situations than the machine. Except when the speed gets above about 30wpm, then I fall behind pretty quick hi hi.

73,
LS
W5QD