K3 RF feedback

Georges Ringotte F6DFZ
Hi to the group

Just to report a problem I had very recently.

My K3 is used with a Turner +3 microphone and had been working very fine since the beginning.

Yesterday, barefoot at 90 W or at 350 W with my PA, I had very bad modulation reports on 40 m.
I switched on the monitor, and indeed modulation was extremely bad. But it was not permanent, only from time to time.

Gary suggested RF feedback with eventually a problem from the power supply.

I checked this reflector and found Pin 1 problem syndrome.

On mine, shielded mike cable was connected to Pins 1/7, ant PTT to Pins 2/8.

I modified the Turner +3 to have the PTT ground internally connected to the mike case and mike cable shield.

Inside the K3 mike plug, I disconnected the PTT ground from Pin 8, which became free.

This seems to solve the problem.

Thank you for the Elecraft support team, and also for the fine advice on this reflector.

Best regards

Georges F6DFZ

Re: K3 RF feedback

Jim Brown-10
On 8/30/2012 2:54 AM, Georges Ringotte F6DFZ wrote:
> Thank you for the Elecraft support team, and also for the fine advice on this reflector.

And say thanks to the late Neil Muncy, who first published his research
about The Pin One Problem in 1994, and who told me in some intense bar
conversations that it was the primary cause of RFI. I later did research
that proved him correct.  Neil was an excellent engineer who spent his
professional life in pro audio, but he used the RF background he first
gained as a ham to do the most important work on RFI in my lifetime  He
was also a very unselfish and tireless educator. Virtually every ham,
and everyone working in audio and broadcasting, is in his debt. Neil
died last week at his home near Toronto.

73, Jim Brown K9YC

Mic. RODE Procaster & K3 experience

E72X

I wonder if any of you have experience with R0DE PROCASTER microphone attached on K3?
All comments are welcome!

E72X

Re: Mic. RODE Procaster & K3 experience

WA2SI
Interesting question. While not a phone man myself, I do remember hearing a
chap on 10-meters while commuting home who was using that particular mic. He
sounded as if he were in the passenger seat next to me. I'm not sure how
much of that was the mic's actual sound reproduction &/or EQ amplification
or the prevailing atmospheric conditions but it sure did make for some very
comfortable armchair copy.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

> I wonder if any of you have experience with R0DE PROCASTER microphone
> attached on K3?
> All comments are welcome!
>
> E72X

Re: Mic. RODE Procaster & K3 experience

Barry N1EU
E72X wrote
I wonder if any of you have experience with R0DE PROCASTER microphone attached on K3?
I use the Rode Procaster, but I feed it through an Aphex 230.  The Procaster is a superb microphone, but I've honestly not tried connecting it directly to a radio.

73,
Barry N1EU

On 9/18/2012 1:56 AM, Gordan Hribar wrote:
> I wonder if any of you have experience with R0DE PROCASTER microphone attached on K3?

It should work, but why would you want to spend this much for a ham
mic?  This mic is a cosmetic copy of the very excellent ElectroVoice
RE20, but without the carefully controlled bass response of the RE20, so
it's going to have lots of bass boost used close-up.  If you MUST use a
pro mic, the ones to consider are the EV RE11, RE16, RE20, RE27, or the
Shure SM54. Some are long discontinued, but dynamic mics last forever,
and it's safe to buy them used from reliable sources.

With ANY pro mic you'll need a lot of TXEQ to make them sound good with
a ham rig.  I've used an RE16 and an RE20 from my recording mic cabinet
with ham rigs when I didn't have a decent ham mic. I got them to sound
very good, but only with lots of low cut and high boost.

A couple of years ago, a member of our contesting club who runs an audio
company found the Yamaha CM500 boom mic headset and turned us on to
them. He organized a group purchase, and many of us bought them.  They
sound really good, and they're also really comfortable. No problem
wearing is for a long contest weekend.  Widely available for about $45,
shipped to CONUS.

New beta K3 firmware!

E72X
Can I ask ELECRAFT what's next on the list for the K3 firmware improvements we can expect

E72X -Gordan

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

> Can I ask ELECRAFT what's next on the list for the K3 firmware
> improvements we can expect...

Hi Gordan,

Best guess:

   - improved CW decode at all AGC settings
   - support for KAT500 antenna switching from the K3
   - bug fixes related to remote rig communications (K3/0)

There have also been many requests for minor changes, some of which
I'll be adding. I can't say yet which ones will make the next cut.

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

ab2tc
Any hope for serial command support for the receive equalizer?

AB2TC - Knut

wayne burdick wrote
> Can I ask ELECRAFT what's next on the list for the K3 firmware
> improvements we can expect...

Hi Gordan,

Best guess:

   - improved CW decode at all AGC settings
   - support for KAT500 antenna switching from the K3
   - bug fixes related to remote rig communications (K3/0)

There have also been many requests for minor changes, some of which
I'll be adding. I can't say yet which ones will make the next cut.

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

How about allowing use of the FM filter for AM and ESSB transmit?

On 9/21/2012 11:11 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

>> Can I ask ELECRAFT what's next on the list for the K3 firmware
>> improvements we can expect...
>
> Hi Gordan,
>
> Best guess:
>
>     - improved CW decode at all AGC settings
>     - support for KAT500 antenna switching from the K3
>     - bug fixes related to remote rig communications (K3/0)
>
> There have also been many requests for minor changes, some of which
> I'll be adding. I can't say yet which ones will make the next cut.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

Gary Gregory
*Joe,

I have to ask, why?

In VK we have a 3Khz SSB BW written into our LCD's and yet some folks
consume 10Khz out here on a net which tears up a considerable amount of
spectrum.

What advantage do you see to widen the ESSB?

Not sure I follow your thoughts here, hence the question Joe.

73
*
On 22 September 2012 03:10, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about allowing use of the FM filter for AM and ESSB transmit?
>
> 73,
>
>     ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 9/21/2012 11:11 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> >> Can I ask ELECRAFT what's next on the list for the K3 firmware
> >> improvements we can expect...
> >
> > Hi Gordan,
> >
> > Best guess:
> >
> >     - improved CW decode at all AGC settings
> >     - support for KAT500 antenna switching from the K3
> >     - bug fixes related to remote rig communications (K3/0)
> >
> > There have also been many requests for minor changes, some of which
> > I'll be adding. I can't say yet which ones will make the next cut.
> >
> > 73,
> > Wayne
> > N6KR

*Gary*
*Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
K3 #679
KPA500FT #18
KAT500FT 007
P3 #1629

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

Joshua Mesilane
Originally sent direct, was meant for the list.

Actually, we can run up to 8khz bandwidth, with the exception of 16Khz in
the FM segment of 10m, and of course the very very low band. The rules do
change above 10M though depending on your license class. What this means is
you can actually, legally run 6Khz wide AM on HF.

I'm looking at the Amateur LCD right now. It's a common misconception that
you can only run 3KHz on HF in VK

---
VK3XJM
http://www.zindello.com.au/

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *Joe,
>
> I have to ask, why?
>
> In VK we have a 3Khz SSB BW written into our LCD's and yet some folks
> consume 10Khz out here on a net which tears up a considerable amount of
> spectrum.
>
> What advantage do you see to widen the ESSB?
>
> Not sure I follow your thoughts here, hence the question Joe.
>
> 73
> *
> On 22 September 2012 03:10, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > How about allowing use of the FM filter for AM and ESSB transmit?
> >
> > 73,
> >
> >     ... Joe, W4TV

> > > Hi Gordan,
> > >
> > > Best guess:
> > >
> > >     - improved CW decode at all AGC settings
> > >     - support for KAT500 antenna switching from the K3
> > >     - bug fixes related to remote rig communications (K3/0)
> > >
> > > There have also been many requests for minor changes, some of which
> > > I'll be adding. I can't say yet which ones will make the next cut.
> > >
> > > 73,
> > > Wayne
> > > N6KR

> > > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> > >
> > > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> *Gary*
> *Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
> K3 #679
> KPA500FT #18
> KAT500FT 007
> P3 #1629

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

alorona
I don't know the motivation for the FM filter request, but I will say that here
in the US there are vast expanses of the bands that are mostly unused. For
instance, night after night there isn't a single station between 3600 and 3700
kHz here on the west coast. As another data point, I just counted the number of
stations currently operating between 28300 and 28500 kHz: a total of 4. Under
conditions like these I see no harm in allowing the ESSB stations to
experiment.

Al  W6LX

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

 > On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

 >> I have to ask, why?

Using the FM filter does no widen ESSB or AM ... the bandwidth of
those modes is determined by the DSP modulator.  The only thing
the 8.215 MHz crystal filter does is to provide some additional
protection against transmitting the 8.245 MHz image (and according
to Wayne, provide some additional rejection of very low level
DSP/mixer noise).  In any case, the 13 KHz filter is *still* tight
enough to eliminate the image - else it could not be used on FM
either.

In my case, the K3's main RX is "full" of filters - 13 KHz, 2.8,
1.8, 400 and 200.  I can not use AM or ESSB (if I wanted to) without
telling the K3 that the 13 KHz filter is really 6 KHz wide.  That
seems to be a significant headache and makes either FM or AM/ESSB
unusable for those who, like me, have a "full" K3.

On 9/21/2012 5:11 PM, Joshua Mesilane wrote:

> Originally sent direct, was meant for the list.
>

> Actually, we can run up to 8khz bandwidth, with the exception of 16Khz in
> the FM segment of 10m, and of course the very very low band. The rules do
> change above 10M though depending on your license class. What this means is
> you can actually, legally run 6Khz wide AM on HF.
>
> I'm looking at the Amateur LCD right now. It's a common misconception that
> you can only run 3KHz on HF in VK
>
> ---
> VK3XJM
> http://www.zindello.com.au/
>

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> *Joe,
>>
>> I have to ask, why?
>>
>> In VK we have a 3Khz SSB BW written into our LCD's and yet some folks
>> consume 10Khz out here on a net which tears up a considerable amount of
>> spectrum.
>>
>> What advantage do you see to widen the ESSB?
>>
>> Not sure I follow your thoughts here, hence the question Joe.
>>
>> 73
>> *
>> On 22 September 2012 03:10, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> How about allowing use of the FM filter for AM and ESSB transmit?
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>>      ... Joe, W4TV

>> --
>> *Gary*
>> *Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
>> K3 #679
>> KPA500FT #18
>> KAT500FT 007
>> P3 #1629

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

The poster who made that request has made it before.
Actually, the width of the transmitted signal should be controlled in
the DSP, so Joe does have a point, but the designers at Elecraft are not
ready to let go of the bandwidth "safety net" provided by the 6 kHz filter.
Other SDR transmitters can generate AM and ESSB (and FM too) with no
roofing filters at all, so it is possible to control the width using
only the DSP.

On 9/21/2012 5:21 PM, Al Lorona wrote:
> I don't know the motivation for the FM filter request, but I will say that here
> in the US there are vast expanses of the bands that are mostly unused. For
> instance, night after night there isn't a single station between 3600 and 3700
> kHz here on the west coast. As another data point, I just counted the number of
> stations currently operating between 28300 and 28500 kHz: a total of 4. Under
> conditions like these I see no harm in allowing the ESSB stations to
> experiment.

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

Thomas Horsten
Hi Gary,

The point is not to widen the SSB but to use the FM crystal filter to limit
it. The DSP does the actual shaping of the TX signal which will still be
the same width regardless of whether you're using the 6kHz filter or the
12.5kHz FM one.

The idea is to be able to use the FM filter for AM and ESSB as well instead
of filling up two precious filter slots, when what you may want/need are
closer filters on the low end (say, 400 and 200 Hz).

73, Thomas M0TRN

On 21 September 2012 22:00, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I have to ask, why?
>
> In VK we have a 3Khz SSB BW written into our LCD's and yet some folks
> consume 10Khz out here on a net which tears up a considerable amount of
> spectrum.
>
> What advantage do you see to widen the ESSB?
>
> Not sure I follow your thoughts here, hence the question Joe.

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

Gary Gregory
*Hi Joe,

Thanks for the explanation. I can now 'see' what you meant and it does seem
logical.

I too have all 5 filter slots in use.

'Learning all the time'...:-)

73's Joe and thanks again.

*
On 22 September 2012 07:37, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> In VK we have a 3Khz SSB BW written into our LCD's and yet some folks
> >> consume 10Khz out here on a net which tears up a considerable amount of
> >> spectrum.
> >>
> >> What advantage do you see to widen the ESSB?
> >>
> >> Not sure I follow your thoughts here, hence the question Joe.
> >>
> >> 73
> >> *

> >> --
> >> *Gary*
> >> *Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
> >> K3 #679
> >> KPA500FT #18
> >> KAT500FT 007
> >> P3 #1629
> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

*Gary*
*Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*

The 6 kHz filter band-limits the transmit noise originating from the
DAC and the transmit mixer to a bandwidth appropriate for AM and ESSB
modes. The 15 kHz filter would allow a noise bandwidth over twice as
wide.

This in-band noise "pedestal" could be 20-30 dB above the normal
transmit noise floor if you were using a lot of mic gain and/or
compression. If you were using high power in these modes, your signal
would now be much more likely to bring up the receive noise floor at
nearby stations.

Do you really want to create a 15-kHz wide swath of broadband noise
when using ESSB or AM?

I don't. That's why I haven't modified the code to allow use of the FM
filter for this purpose. I suppose it could be YAMU (yet another menu
entry), forcing you to do at least a minimum amount of soul-searching
before "going broadband" :)

On Sep 21, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Thomas Horsten wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> The point is not to widen the SSB but to use the FM crystal filter
> to limit
> it. The DSP does the actual shaping of the TX signal which will
> still be
> the same width regardless of whether you're using the 6kHz filter or
> the
> 12.5kHz FM one.
>
> The idea is to be able to use the FM filter for AM and ESSB as well
> instead
> of filling up two precious filter slots, when what you may want/need
> are
> closer filters on the low end (say, 400 and 200 Hz).
>
> 73, Thomas M0TRN
>
> On 21 September 2012 22:00, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Joe,
>>
>> I have to ask, why?
>>
>> In VK we have a 3Khz SSB BW written into our LCD's and yet some folks
>> consume 10Khz out here on a net which tears up a considerable
>> amount of
>> spectrum.
>>
>> What advantage do you see to widen the ESSB?
>>
>> Not sure I follow your thoughts here, hence the question Joe.
>>
>> 73

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > This in-band noise "pedestal" could be 20-30 dB above the normal
 > transmit noise floor if you were using a lot of mic gain and/or
 > compression. If you were using high power in these modes, your signal
 > would now be much more likely to bring up the receive noise floor at
 > nearby stations.

Is not this "pedestal" present in all modes?

What is its level below the transmitter PEP?

If it is a problem in AM with the FM filter, why is it not similarly
a problem in ESSB (3.0-4.0 KHz modes) with a 6 KHz wide filter?

On 9/21/2012 6:40 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> The 6 kHz filter band-limits the transmit noise originating from the
> DAC and the transmit mixer to a bandwidth appropriate for AM and ESSB
> modes. The 15 kHz filter would allow a noise bandwidth over twice as
> wide.
>
> This in-band noise "pedestal" could be 20-30 dB above the normal
> transmit noise floor if you were using a lot of mic gain and/or
> compression. If you were using high power in these modes, your signal
> would now be much more likely to bring up the receive noise floor at
> nearby stations.
>
> Do you really want to create a 15-kHz wide swath of broadband noise
> when using ESSB or AM?
>
> I don't. That's why I haven't modified the code to allow use of the FM
> filter for this purpose. I suppose it could be YAMU (yet another menu
> entry), forcing you to do at least a minimum amount of soul-searching
> before "going broadband" :)
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Sep 21, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Thomas Horsten wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> The point is not to widen the SSB but to use the FM crystal filter
>> to limit
>> it. The DSP does the actual shaping of the TX signal which will
>> still be
>> the same width regardless of whether you're using the 6kHz filter or
>> the
>> 12.5kHz FM one.
>>
>> The idea is to be able to use the FM filter for AM and ESSB as well
>> instead
>> of filling up two precious filter slots, when what you may want/need
>> are
>> closer filters on the low end (say, 400 and 200 Hz).
>>
>> 73, Thomas M0TRN
>>
>> On 21 September 2012 22:00, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Joe,
>>>
>>> I have to ask, why?
>>>
>>> In VK we have a 3Khz SSB BW written into our LCD's and yet some folks
>>> consume 10Khz out here on a net which tears up a considerable
>>> amount of
>>> spectrum.
>>>
>>> What advantage do you see to widen the ESSB?
>>>
>>> Not sure I follow your thoughts here, hence the question Joe.
>>>
>>> 73

Re: New beta K3 firmware!

 > This in-band noise "pedestal" could be 20-30 dB above the normal
 > transmit noise floor if you were using a lot of mic gain and/or
 > compression. If you were using high power in these modes, your signal
 > would now be much more likely to bring up the receive noise floor at
 > nearby stations.

It would seem that the same argument would be made against using the
2.7 or 2.8 KHz filters for CW or digital modes that have a transmit
bandwidth of 50 to 100 Hz.  Why generate an excessively wide 3 KHz noise
pedestal for CW or PSK31/63 or even FSK RTTY (300 Hz required)?

This is all academic since it is easy - although very inconvenient - to
set FL1 BW to 6.00 with the FM filter to enable AM/ESSB and return it
to 13.00 to go back to FM.

The real issue is that any user with three "narrow" filters for SSB and
CW/Digital is precluded from using both FM and AM/ESSB without playing
games with FL1 BW.