K3 RTTY Decode

Hank Garretson
Good friend K1GQ wondered out loud about real data comparing K3 RTTY decode
to software decoders. Here is fifteen minutes of real data.

Attachment 1. K3 decode captured by K3 Utility program. K3 width 400 Hz.
Didn't fiddle with K3 decode parameters--used factory defaults.

Attachment 2. MMTTY decode. AA6YQ FIR512 profile for first five minutes,
them Fluttered Signals (FIR) profile for last ten minutes.

If attachments didn't make it to list, email me and I will send them to
you.

Data captured during first fifteen minutes of 18 March zulu NCCC RTTY
Sprint.

Used MMTTY cross bars to tune.

The sometimes frantic NS is a good test with lots of frequency changes,
great signal-strength variability, and QRM.

My take is that MMTTY is superior to K3 decode, but I was pleasantly
surprised by how well K3 decode performed.

My work is done. I'll leave it to others to draw more rigorous conclusions.

Regardless of relatively decode performance of K3 versus MMTTY, I believe
the most important plus of MMTTY and similar programs is call and exchange
parsing, highlighting, and clicking into log window.

When contesting, I have one MMTTY window and two 2Tone windows open and I
constantly scan all three. My experience is that sometimes MMTTY is better,
sometimes 2Tone Flutter is better, and sometimes 2Tone Selective is better.
I often end up integrating bits and pieces from all three windows to
complete a contact. That's part of what makes RTTY contesting fun. Your
print may vary.

Diddle Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX

MMTTY.txt (4K) Download Attachment
K3 Decode.txt (4K) Download Attachment

Re: K3 RTTY Decode

Kevin Stover
I don't know where the idea started that the decode algorithm in the
K3(s) would be a good as a stand alone dedicated program like MMTTY. It
won't ever be simply from a processor and memory point of view. I'm sure
the Elecraft principals have made no such claim so why do people still
expect it?

It's a "gee whiz would you look at that" kinda thing more than anything
else. Use it in a serious contest or DX pileup? Nonsense. Let the
computer/software do what it does best and let the radio do what it does
best.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

Re: K3 RTTY Decode

We included RTTY/PSK decode/encode in the K3/K3S/KX3 to expand the range of conversational, no-PC-required digital modes available to the operator. I'm glad that our high-efficiency, convenient implementation suffices for many QSOs and casual contest operation.

If the communication requirements are more demanding and a PC is available...well, there's always LINE IN/OUT :)

On Mar 18, 2016, at 7:07 PM, Kevin Stover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know where the idea started that the decode algorithm in the K3(s) would be a good as a stand alone dedicated program like MMTTY. It won't ever be simply from a processor and memory point of view. I'm sure the Elecraft principals have made no such claim so why do people still expect it?
>
> It's a "gee whiz would you look at that" kinda thing more than anything else. Use it in a serious contest or DX pileup? Nonsense. Let the computer/software do what it does best and let the radio do what it does best.
>

> On 3/17/2016 11:16 PM, Hank Garretson wrote:
>> Good friend K1GQ wondered out loud about real data comparing K3 RTTY decode
>> to software decoders....

Re: K3 RTTY Decode

Jim Brown-10
On Fri,3/18/2016 7:23 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> We included RTTY/PSK decode/encode in the K3/K3S/KX3 to expand the range of conversational, no-PC-required digital modes available to the operator.

I virtually always do RTTY with MMTTY and 2Tone, but I also watch the K3
decoder, and find it to quite good.