K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

KC6CNN
I just got my radio back from Elecraft. They changed a diode and put the new sync board in it. It was shipped back and tonight was the first time I had a chance to get on the air. I meet every weekend with a few guys on 80 meters. One of the guys has a flex radio that he watches everyones audio. I started to say hello and everyone said my audio was not good. I went in and checked all of my settings and found that my eq setting were not the same. I changed them and was told that I still sounded bad. The flex guy said I had real bad spikes and raspy audio. I checked everything and all connectors and did not find anything. I continued to talk for a while and without touching anything except my heil button to talk all of a sudden the audio went to great audio. Everyone was complementing me on my audio again. After about an hour my audio went from great to bad again. Nothing had been changed. I even switched antennas and it would go from bad to good and just switch when ever it felt like it. I don't know what is going on. I have always had great audio. Help please.
Thanks
Gerald Manthey KC6CNN  K3 serial # 6294
KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

KC6CNN
I am happy to report that my awesome audio is back.
Thank you Howard, Wayne, and Eric for your outstanding customer service.
All is great with my K3 now.
It still amazes me and it floored a couple of other hams that were here in my shack when Wayne returned my e-mail. They were like " That is one of the owners", I was like yeah. They could not believe that a simple guy like me could get one of the owners to e-mail me back. I laughed and told them that I had exchanged e-mails with both owners and had even spoken to them on the phone.
One of the hams laughed and said yeah try that with any of the big three. Then said he believed he was going to sell his radio and purchase a new K3. I explained the new K3s to him and told him he would not miss the old radio.
Got off subject here sorry.
Thanks again Elecraft for the outstanding Customer Service.
Thank you
Gerald Manthey - KC6CNN
KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

wayne burdick
Administrator
Our pleasure, Gerald. I'm glad it was something simple and that you're back on the air.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 23, 2015, at 6:47 PM, KC6CNN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am happy to report that my awesome audio is back.
> Thank you Howard, Wayne, and Eric for your outstanding customer service.
> All is great with my K3 now.
> It still amazes me and it floored a couple of other hams that were here in
> my shack when Wayne returned my e-mail. They were like " That is one of the
> owners", I was like yeah. They could not believe that a simple guy like me
> could get one of the owners to e-mail me back. I laughed and told them that
> I had exchanged e-mails with both owners and had even spoken to them on the
> phone.
> One of the hams laughed and said yeah try that with any of the big three.
> Then said he believed he was going to sell his radio and purchase a new K3.
> I explained the new K3s to him and told him he would not miss the old radio.
> Got off subject here sorry.
> Thanks again Elecraft for the outstanding Customer Service.
> Thank you
> Gerald Manthey - KC6CNN


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

NY2CQ
All,

I must agree with Gerald.  I've been thinking about making the move to Elecraft and been following this board for a while just to gauge customer satisfaction, technical support, etc. I must say that the quantity and quality of information exchanged and the level of responsiveness have won me over.  If I had any doubts before, I no longer do.  I'm happily making the move.  Keep up the great work ... Customer service still matters!

73
Joe
NY2CQ

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 10:22 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Our pleasure, Gerald. I'm glad it was something simple and that you're back on the air.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
>> On Jun 23, 2015, at 6:47 PM, KC6CNN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am happy to report that my awesome audio is back.
>> Thank you Howard, Wayne, and Eric for your outstanding customer service.
>> All is great with my K3 now.
>> It still amazes me and it floored a couple of other hams that were here in
>> my shack when Wayne returned my e-mail. They were like " That is one of the
>> owners", I was like yeah. They could not believe that a simple guy like me
>> could get one of the owners to e-mail me back. I laughed and told them that
>> I had exchanged e-mails with both owners and had even spoken to them on the
>> phone.
>> One of the hams laughed and said yeah try that with any of the big three.
>> Then said he believed he was going to sell his radio and purchase a new K3.
>> I explained the new K3s to him and told him he would not miss the old radio.
>> Got off subject here sorry.
>> Thanks again Elecraft for the outstanding Customer Service.
>> Thank you
>> Gerald Manthey - KC6CNN
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

KC6CNN
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by KC6CNN
I keep getting private e-mail asking what were the symptoms and what fixed the problem.
The radio was shipped back to me after a trip to the factory for an upgrade and repair.
The radio came back and once it was hooked up, I joined a group of people that I talk to all the time.
Everyone said that my audio did not sound right. Then intermittently it would go from just okay to terrible. I had one of the guys I talk with watch me on his pan adaptor and it showed spikes and a very dirty signal. I contacted Elecraft by e-mail on the weekend and first thing Monday Morning Howard from Elecraft had called me and left message for me to return his call. I returned his call and he walked me though all of my settings. Then after everything checked out he said that he had see something similar to this and explained what he thought it might be. Howard told me that if I removed the fans and circuit breaker panel off of the back side I would be able to see where the amp connected in. Howard e-mailed me two pictures one the correct way and the other was one they had found the caused a similar problem. I pulled the plate off of my radio and sure enough the amplifier was not seated all the way down in the connector. I pushed down on the amp board and it seated completely with the connecting board. I then loosened all the screws on both the board and the amp and made sure they were seated and then retightened the screws. My K3 is now functioning great. I don't know how it came loose, but it did. It could have been loosened and moved during shipping, I do not know. I took a picture of the connector before I secured it, but I do not know how to post a picture of it here.
Okay hope this answers everyone's questions and hopefully if someone ever has these symptoms and research the forum they will be helped by this too.
Thanks
Gerald - KC6CNN
KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

Charlie T, K3ICH
Great, Gerald.

Glad it was an "easy" fix and many thanks for
sharing the solution with all of us.

We certainly don't want any "bad audio" reports
floating around that could be caused by this
simple-to-fix problem.

Good info to file away for reference.

73, Charlie k3ICH



-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft
[mailto:[hidden email]] On
Behalf Of KC6CNN
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 1:29 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Reports of intermit bad
audio

I keep getting private e-mail asking what were the
symptoms and what fixed the problem.
The radio was shipped back to me after a trip to
the factory for an upgrade and repair.
The radio came back and once it was hooked up, I
joined a group of people that I talk to all the
time.
Everyone said that my audio did not sound right.
The intermittently it would go from just okay to
terrible. I had one of the guys I talk with watch
me on his pan adaptor and it showed spikes and a
very dirty signal. I contacted Elecraft by e-mail
on the weekend and first thing Monday Morning
Howard from Elecraft had called me and left
message for me to return his call. I returned his
call and he walked me though all of my settings.
Then after everything checked out he said that he
had see something similar to this and explained
what he thought it might be. Howard told me that
if I removed the fans and circuit breaker panel
off of the back side I would be able to see where
the amp connected in. Howard e-mailed me two
pictures one the correct way and the other was one
they had found the caused a similar problem. I
pulled the plate off of my radio and sure enough
the amplifier was not seated all the way down in
the connector. I pushed down on the amp board and
it seated completely with the connecting board. I
then loosened all the screws on both the board and
the amp and made sure they were seated and then
retightened the screws. My K3 is now functioning
great. I don't know how it came loose, but it did.
It could have been loosened and moved during
shipping, I do not know. I took a picture of the
connector before I secured it, but I do not know
how to post a picture of it here.
Okay hope this answers everyone's questions and
hopefully if someone ever has these symptoms and
research the forum they will be helped by this
too.
Thanks
Gerald - KC6CNN



-----
KC6CNN - Gerald


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

Oliver Dröse
In reply to this post by KC6CNN
And what was the reason of your bad audio?

That might be even more interesting for some readers ... ;-)

73, Olli

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de


Am 24.06.2015 um 03:47 schrieb KC6CNN:

> I am happy to report that my awesome audio is back.
> Thank you Howard, Wayne, and Eric for your outstanding customer service.
> All is great with my K3 now.
> It still amazes me and it floored a couple of other hams that were here in
> my shack when Wayne returned my e-mail. They were like " That is one of the
> owners", I was like yeah. They could not believe that a simple guy like me
> could get one of the owners to e-mail me back. I laughed and told them that
> I had exchanged e-mails with both owners and had even spoken to them on the
> phone.
> One of the hams laughed and said yeah try that with any of the big three.
> Then said he believed he was going to sell his radio and purchase a new K3.
> I explained the new K3s to him and told him he would not miss the old radio.
> Got off subject here sorry.
> Thanks again Elecraft for the outstanding Customer Service.
> Thank you
> Gerald Manthey - KC6CNN
>
>
>
>
> -----
> KC6CNN - Gerald
> K2 # 5486
> K3 # 6294
> KX3 # 757
> --
> View this message in context: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-Reports-of-intermit-bad-audio-tp7604142p7604236.html
> Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

Oliver Dröse
Just saw the answer already posted, sorry for the bandwidth ... 73, Olli



Am 24.06.2015 um 19:29 schrieb Oliver Dröse:

> And what was the reason of your bad audio?
>
> That might be even more interesting for some readers ... ;-)
>
> 73, Olli
>
> Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de
>
>
> Am 24.06.2015 um 03:47 schrieb KC6CNN:
>> I am happy to report that my awesome audio is back.
>> Thank you Howard, Wayne, and Eric for your outstanding customer service.
>> All is great with my K3 now.
>> It still amazes me and it floored a couple of other hams that were
>> here in
>> my shack when Wayne returned my e-mail. They were like " That is one
>> of the
>> owners", I was like yeah. They could not believe that a simple guy
>> like me
>> could get one of the owners to e-mail me back. I laughed and told
>> them that
>> I had exchanged e-mails with both owners and had even spoken to them
>> on the
>> phone.
>> One of the hams laughed and said yeah try that with any of the big
>> three.
>> Then said he believed he was going to sell his radio and purchase a
>> new K3.
>> I explained the new K3s to him and told him he would not miss the old
>> radio.
>> Got off subject here sorry.
>> Thanks again Elecraft for the outstanding Customer Service.
>> Thank you
>> Gerald Manthey - KC6CNN
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> KC6CNN - Gerald
>> K2 # 5486
>> K3 # 6294
>> KX3 # 757
>> --
>> View this message in context:
>> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-Reports-of-intermit-bad-audio-tp7604142p7604236.html
>> Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 Reports of intermit bad audio

Scott Manthe-2
In reply to this post by Oliver Dröse
Gerald posted the reason a few posts down, Olli.

73,
Scott N9AA

On 6/24/15 1:28 AM, KC6CNN wrote:
> Howard told me that if I removed the
> fans and circuit breaker panel off of the back side I would be able to see
> where the amp connected in. Howard e-mailed me two pictures one the correct
> way and the other was one they had found the caused a similar problem. I
> pulled the plate off of my radio and sure enough the amplifier was not
> seated all the way down in the connector. I pushed down on the amp board and
> it seated completely with the connecting board. I then loosened all the
> screws on both the board and the amp and made sure they were seated and then
> retightened the screws. My K3 is now functioning great.


On 6/24/15 1:29 PM, Oliver Dröse wrote:
> And what was the reason of your bad audio?
>
> That might be even more interesting for some readers ... ;-)
>
> 73, Olli
>
> Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de
>
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]