K3 Roofing filters

g3izd@sky.com
I am about to purchase a K3 (k). My main interest is certainly CW with occasional forays into SSB and even data, and I note the selection of roofing filters available, no doubt the 8-pole are somewhat better but what is the general feeling regarding the bandwidth(s)  to be included.
Ivan G3IZD

Re: K3 Roofing filters

John Lemay
Ivan

You'll get as many different views here as there are combinations of
different filters !

Roofing filters are quite easy to add at a later date (ease depends somewhat
on the options installed), so my suggestion is to go lightly at first and
see how you get on with just a couple of filters, and rely on the DSP for
filtering - which is pretty good.

For SSB, consider either 2.4 or 2.1kHz. Anything narrower is obviously more
effective, but also tiring to listen to for long periods.

For CW I think the choice is easy - head for the 500Hz filter.

Regards

John G4ZTR

Re: K3 Roofing filters

James Balls-2
Hi Ivan

I use Inrad
SSB Wide 2.8khz #716
SSB Narrow 1.5Khz #727
CW / Data 400hz #701

I find these filters outstanding in all conditions and I contest in SSB CW
RTTY and PSK31

Jim M0CKE

On 6 August 2013 10:50, James Balls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ivan
>
> I use Inrad
> SSB Wide 2.8khz #716
> SSB Narrow 1.5Khz #727
> CW / Data 400hz #701
>
> I find these filters outstanding in all conditions and I contest in SSB CW
> RTTY and PSK31
>
> Jim M0CKE
>

> On 6 August 2013 10:37, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am about to purchase a K3 (k). My main interest is certainly CW with
>> occasional forays into SSB and even data, and I note the selection of
>> roofing filters available, no doubt the 8-pole are somewhat better but what
>> is the general feeling regarding the bandwidth(s)  to be included.
>> Ivan G3IZD

Re: K3 Roofing filters

Gary W. Hvizdak
On Tuesday August 6, Ivan (G3IZD) wrote ...

"I am about to purchase a K3 ... what is the general feeling regarding
[filter] bandwidth(s) ..."

--

Hi Ivan,

    In addition to the choices available from Elecraft and INRAD, WB2ART
and I also offer a 700 Hz (wide CW) alternative.  IMHO 700 Hz fits really
well between the INRAD 1.5 k Hz and 400 Hz filters and it's ideal for
scanning.

    The lead-time for the 700 Hz filter is upwards of 14 weeks, as there's
a 12-manufacturing lead-time and we only commission production as demand
warrants.  The current batch (due to arrive in early October) will probably
sell out within a matter of hours.  The next batch can be expected sometime
between December and February.

--- - - - ---

    Our website – http://www.unpcbs.com/ – features a unique visual
comparison of the five 8-pole filters (1,000, 700, 500, 400, and 250 Hz).
This comparison is packaged as both an online slideshow and as a
(printable) PDF file.  Brief descriptions accompany each slide.  As a
whole, these descriptions create a concise 8-pole CW filter buyer's guide

    If you are a serious contester, then 700 and 400 Hz would be an
excellent choice.  Otherwise (if you're not a serious contester) then the
700 is probably the only CW filter you'll ever need.  Oh and it's also
ideal for 500 Hz digital formats.

--- - - - ---

    Additional suggestions ...

1)  Avoid filters whose widths are too similar.  Specifically, IMHO a ratio
of less than 1.4 (i.e. the square root of two) is an exercise in
diminishing returns.

2)  For historic reasons, the filter widths are not always the same as
their designations.  This is especially true of the INRAD 250 Hz 8-pole
filter, which is closer 370 Hz wide.

3)  INRAD offers two additional 8-pole filters – 1500 Hz and 500 Hz – which
are not available through Elecraft.

4)  If you have the sub-RX, then adding/changing filters is a fairly
significant undertaking.  (Thus the advice about just getting a bare K3 and
adding filters later may not apply to you, if your intention is to get a
factory assembled K3 with sub-RX.)

Cheers,
Gary  KI4GGX

Re: K3 Roofing filters

Ivan,

You are right to ask, the filters can drive the cost of the K3 spiraling
upward.
I will not answer simply, but rather give you some guidelines for selection.

Your choice of roofing filters will depend a lot on your operating
conditions and preferences.
Remember that the roofing filters are present NOT to achieve the final
bandwidth - that is done in the DSP processing.
The roofing filters are used to protect the input of the DAC from strong
adjacent signals - ones that you would not hear because they are outside
the DSP passband.
There is another mechanism - Hardware AGC - that also protects the DAC
from overload.  Its response is what you will hear when there are strong
signals within the passband of the roofing filter but outside the
passband you have set in the DSP - the strong unwanted signal will cause
"pumping" of the AGC and constantly change the receivers sensitivity.
The Hardware AGC will begin to operate when the signal strength is
greater than S-9+30 dB (If I recall correctly).  For weaker signals, it
will not activate.

So -- if you are an SSB ragchewer, the 2.8 kHz filter will likely be
sufficient, you probably seek to operate in a clear area of the band anyway.
But -- if you are operating in a crowded band with lots of adjacent
strong signals (heavy DXing or serious contesting), you will likely want
to add roofing filters.  How much tolerance you have to those nearby
strong signals will influence your choice of filters.

Of course, if you want to operate FM, you will need the 13 kHz filter,
and for AM transmit, the 6 kHz filter.

5 pole or 8 pole? - if you have the subRX, *and* want to use diversity
receive, the filters in the main and the sub must be matched for the
filter offset.  The choice of 8 pole filters makes it easy, they have
zero offset.  If you choose the 5 pole filters, matched offset  filters
are available.

If you decide to purchase without the subRX initially, but plan to add
it later, order the 8 pole filters unless diversity receive is not a
consideration.

If you cannot decide by order time, I would suggest you go with the 2.8
kHz 8 pole filter only, then operate using only  the DSP filtering for
some period of time to allow you to find out where you are experiencing
difficulty, then purchase whatever additional filters you need for your
operation.  The filters are not difficult to add later (unless the subRX
is installed, because it must be removed to get to the main filter area).

On 8/6/2013 5:37 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am about to purchase a K3 (k). My main interest is certainly CW with occasional forays into SSB and even data, and I note the selection of roofing filters available, no doubt the 8-pole are somewhat better but what is the general feeling regarding the bandwidth(s)  to be included.
> Ivan G3IZD

Re: K3 Roofing filters

KE8G
Hi Ivan,
I am a CW guy and agree with John's assessment on the number of answers you will receive!

Here's mine:  I run 250Hz, 400Hz, 1000Hz, and 2.8Khz.  I know folks out there will say that the 250 & 400 are so close in filter shape when you really take a look at things, that they are somewhat redundant.

If you want to cut down on initial expenses, I would start with the 400Hz filter, this will serve the double duty for CW and your occasional dabbles in the digital arena.  They are somewhat easy to add at a later date, depending on what other options you have added, which also gives you the opportunity to learn a little more on the workings of the K3.

As far as SSB, I can't comment, as I do not even own any microphones!

One thing for sure, you will be a very happy CW operator once you learn your way around the K3... it is a fantastic radio!

73 de Jim - KE8G

---- John Lemay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ivan
>
> You'll get as many different views here as there are combinations of
> different filters !
>
> Roofing filters are quite easy to add at a later date (ease depends somewhat
> on the options installed), so my suggestion is to go lightly at first and
> see how you get on with just a couple of filters, and rely on the DSP for
> filtering - which is pretty good.
>
> For SSB, consider either 2.4 or 2.1kHz. Anything narrower is obviously more
> effective, but also tiring to listen to for long periods.
>
> For CW I think the choice is easy - head for the 500Hz filter.
>
> Regards
>
> John G4ZTR

Re: K3 Roofing filters

Unlike many other transceivers, ultimate selectivity in the K3 is not
determined by the crystal filter.  Ultimate selectivity is determined
by the DSP whilst the roofing filter only impacts narrow band dynamic
range (the level of "close in" signals applied to the second mixer and
analog to digital converter [ADC]).  In this case, the "roofing" filter
sets the maximum bandwidth of the receive chain.  See discussions by
Elecraft here: http://www.elecraft.com/K3/Roofing_Filters.htm

My experience leads me to recommend the standard 2.7 KHz (5 pole) for
SSB (based on the"exchange" price) with the added $130 spent on a 2.1
or 1.8 KHz filter if necessary.  For CW and digital I would choose 400
Hz as the primary filter (the 500 Hz INRAD if one uses some of the 500
Hz wide MFSK based modes) and the 200 Hz 5 pole for critical CW (or
possibly PSK31 and JT9) in the presence of strong adjacent signals.

I don't see the need for a 1000 or 700 Hz filter as when conditions
allow "wide" scanning, one of the SSB filters is generally sufficient
in combination with DSP set to 1000/800/700 Hz.

On 8/6/2013 5:37 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am about to purchase a K3 (k). My main interest is certainly CW
> with
occasional forays into SSB and even data, and I note the selection of
roofing filters available, no doubt the 8-pole are somewhat better but
what is the general feeling regarding the bandwidth(s) to be included.

> Ivan G3IZD

Re: K3 Roofing filters

Bruce Beford-2
I know many users are happy with the 700 Hz roofing filter you guys have had
custom-made. However, I am wondering just how helpful it actually is,
compared to other, more standard roofing filter BWs. If a 700 Hz bandwidth
is "ideal for scanning", just how is a roofing filter needed when scanning?
By definition, when scanning, one is tuning across a band, looking for a
signal of interest. Is a medium-narrow roofing filter really helpful in this
case? Does it make scanning more productive than say, a 1 KHz filter?

I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand how a roofing
filter of this width may be (more) useful (than other choices) in a radio
like the K3 with continuously variable final DSP filtering.

Thanks for any input,
Bruce
N1RX

>     In addition to the choices available from Elecraft and INRAD, WB2ART
> and I also offer a 700 Hz (wide CW) alternative.  IMHO 700 Hz fits really
> well between the INRAD 1.5 k Hz and 400 Hz filters and it's ideal for
> scanning...

Re: K3 Roofing filters

Matt Zilmer
Hi Ivan,

250 Hz:  CW and some data modes
1.8 KHz: Other data modes (MT63, WL2K) and SSB Narrow
2.8 KHz:  Normal SSB
6.0 KHz: SWL (AM and DSB) and 80m AM nets
15.0 KHz: FM on 10m and 6m

The 250 Hz roofing filter works extremely well in crowded band
conditions on CW.  It's also just about right for low-bandwidth data
modes like PSK, Thor, Olivia, etc.

If you only need two, I'd go with 250 Hz and 2.8 KHz.  Both are
8-pole.  I say this because your main interest is in CW, and either
the 2.7 or 2.8 KHz filter is needed no matter what.

I've had both 5- and 8-pole filters.  The skirts are somewhat steeper
with the 8-pole, but both types perform quite well.  Just remember
that the DSP provides most of the filtering you'll hear.  The roofiing
filters reduce (or in many cases, eliminate)  close-in blocking from
adjacent interference.  Very handy in crowded contest conditions.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:37:27 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

>I am about to purchase a K3 (k). My main interest is certainly CW with occasional
 forays into SSB and even data, and I note the selection of roofing
filters available, no doubt the 8-pole are somewhat better but what is
the general feeling regarding the bandwidth(s)  to be included.
>Ivan G3IZD

Re: K3 Roofing filters

Blair Bates
Ivan, you wrote:

I am about to purchase a K3 (k). My main interest is certainly CW with
occasional
forays into SSB and even data, and I note the selection of roofing
filters available,
no doubt the 8-pole are somewhat better but what is the general
feeling regarding the
bandwidth(s)  to be included.

From the operating you plan, and having operated many different K-3s,
for SSB & CW I would suggest:

1.  The standard 2.7 KHz filter for occasional SSB.  As others have
mentioned, the roofing filter is to protect the DSP.
2.  A 400 Hz, 8-pole (or 500 Hz-8 pole) filter for general CW
operation (I find anything narrower too restricting for general
operating "band awareness")
3.  If you are inclined to contest or dig really deep for rare DX, add
a 200 Hz or 250 Hz filter, also.  (Crank it in--only when needed.)

I'll defer to others about the better bandwidths for data modes.

73 de K3YD

Antenna comparisons, WSPRnet and timed serial port macros

drewko
I've been doing some performance comparison between two antennas I am
using. I'm compiling data of my WSPR transmissions and spots over
periods of many hours. I got a little carried away and made up a
spreadsheet  to compare reciprocal signal reports as well as the
performance differences between my two antennas...

Basically, I am manually switching from one antenna to the other on a
reqular basis, keeping track of which time periods each is in use.
What I'd like to do is automate the antenna switching on my K3 at
periodic intervals.

The question is, what is the simplest solution for achieving this?
Don't really want to install some full-blown logging-control software.
I am wondering if there is perhaps some little generic utility
available that will send user specified commands over the serial port
at specified intervals. Is there anything like that available? (Years
ago there was a great telecom program called COMMO that could do
this.)

73,
Drew
AF2Z

Re: Antenna comparisons, WSPRnet and timed serial port macros

Ray Cadmus
Here is a link that may answer part of the question:

http://batchloaf.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/simple-trick-for-sending-characters-to-a-serial-port-in-windows/

His simple method of doing "echo hello <or your command string> to
com1"  would probably work.  You could then make that a batch file to be
run periodically.  While I am not currently a Windows user I seem to
recall an "ON" command that can schedule things.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ray    W0PFO

--

On 08/06/2013 11:36 AM, drewko wrote:

> The question is, what is the simplest solution for achieving this?
> Don't really want to install some full-blown logging-control software.
> I am wondering if there is perhaps some little generic utility
> available that will send user specified commands over the serial port
> at specified intervals. Is there anything like that available? (Years
> ago there was a great telecom program called COMMO that could do
> this.)
>
> 73,
> Drew
> AF2Z

Re: Antenna comparisons, WSPRnet and timed serial port macros

Mike WA8BXN
Get a mechanical timer, one that has the pegs in a wheel to set on and off
times to control a lamp etc. Set up an antenna relay that connects one
antenna when power is on, and the other when off.

73 - Mike WA8BXN

Re: Antenna comparisons, WSPRnet and timed serial port macros

drewko
Brian,

Yes, I want to send the ANT 1/2 switch command to the K3, say every
quarter hour. I believe there is no serial port rig control from the
WSPR software to contend with, just the tones from the soundcard that
key the rig periodically.

So, I just need a utility to send the ant switch command over the
serial port to the K3 at fixed intervals.

Actually, I have found an old copy of COMMO that may run in a DOS
window. I'll try it later but if someone knows of a more recent
similar program pls let me know, thanks.

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 17:02:50 +0000, you wrote:

>Drew,
>
>Do you mean K3's internal antenna 1/2 or some external antenna switch?
>
>If K3's internal:
>
>Try the commands AN1; and AN2; in the firmware update program to see if
>it does what you want.  That command can easily be programed in a stand
>alone program.
>
>If you are using rig control in WSPR, then you would need to "share" the
>COM port with a program like LPBRIDGE.
>
>If external box, then you can kluge something mechanical/electrical up
>to do the switching at prescribed intervals.
>
>73 de Brian/K3KO
>

>On 8/6/2013 16:36, drewko wrote:
>> I've been doing some performance comparison between two antennas I am
>> using. I'm compiling data of my WSPR transmissions and spots over
>> periods of many hours. I got a little carried away and made up a
>> spreadsheet  to compare reciprocal signal reports as well as the
>> performance differences between my two antennas...
>>
>> Basically, I am manually switching from one antenna to the other on a
>> reqular basis, keeping track of which time periods each is in use.
>> What I'd like to do is automate the antenna switching on my K3 at
>> periodic intervals.
>>
>> The question is, what is the simplest solution for achieving this?
>> Don't really want to install some full-blown logging-control software.
>> I am wondering if there is perhaps some little generic utility
>> available that will send user specified commands over the serial port
>> at specified intervals. Is there anything like that available? (Years
>> ago there was a great telecom program called COMMO that could do
>> this.)
>>
>> 73,
>> Drew
>> AF2Z

Re: Antenna comparisons, WSPRnet and timed serial port macros

drewko
Ray,

Thanks! That's what I had in mind... I believe it is the AT command
(not ON). Also, SCHTASKS perhaps...

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 12:52:57 -0500, you wrote:

>Here is a link that may answer part of the question:
>
>http://batchloaf.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/simple-trick-for-sending-characters-to-a-serial-port-in-windows/
>
>His simple method of doing "echo hello <or your command string> to
>com1"  would probably work.  You could then make that a batch file to be
>run periodically.  While I am not currently a Windows user I seem to
>recall an "ON" command that can schedule things.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ray    W0PFO

Re: K3 Roofing filters

gm3sek

>From the operating you plan, and having operated many different K-3s,
for
>SSB & CW I would suggest:
>
>1.  The standard 2.7 KHz filter for occasional SSB.  As others have
>mentioned, the roofing filter is to protect the DSP.
>2.  A 400 Hz, 8-pole (or 500 Hz-8 pole) filter for general CW operation
(I find
>anything narrower too restricting for general operating "band
awareness")
>3.  If you are inclined to contest or dig really deep for rare DX, add
a 200 Hz
>or 250 Hz filter, also.  (Crank it in--only when needed.)
>
>I'll defer to others about the better bandwidths for data modes.
>
>73 de K3YD

Hello Ivan, and welcome to the K3!

Knowing your interests, I'd agree with Blair above, and with Joe before
that.

Coming to the K3 from the FT-1000MP, I already had a particular liking
for the Inrad 400Hz filter for general-purpose CW and RTTY because of
its comfortable bandwidth and nicely shaped passband. The Elecraft 200Hz
5-pole filter is useful for really tight spots, and you can hear the
difference with strong signals very close in (some people may
disagree... but they probably aren't in Europe :-)

For casual SSB the stock 2.7kHz 5-pole filter performs quite well, using
SHIFT and WIDTH to control most of the QRM. However, I also happened to
have a 1.8kHz Inrad 8-pole filter from the 1000MP which needed only a
change of interface board to make it compatible with the K3, and I find
that very good for SSB contesting.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

Re: Antenna comparisons, WSPRnet and timed serial port macros

drewko
Ray,

Tks again for the idea. I now have the batch files set up to switch
the K3's ANT every hour, half-hour or 15 mts while WSPR is running.;
no other software needed.

My only question is: what happens if the K3 receives a serial command
to switch ANT while it is transmitting? I assume the command will just
be ignored, but would like to know for sure...

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 12:52:57 -0500, you wrote:

>Here is a link that may answer part of the question:
>
>http://batchloaf.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/simple-trick-for-sending-characters-to-a-serial-port-in-windows/
>
>His simple method of doing "echo hello <or your command string> to
>com1"  would probably work.  You could then make that a batch file to be
>run periodically.  While I am not currently a Windows user I seem to
>recall an "ON" command that can schedule things.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ray    W0PFO

Re: Antenna comparisons, WSPRnet and timed serial port macros

M0XDF
Put it into TX on a dummy load and run your batch file and find out!
73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)

On 7 Aug 2013, at 04:35, drewko wrote:

> Ray,
>
> Tks again for the idea. I now have the batch files set up to switch
> the K3's ANT every hour, half-hour or 15 mts while WSPR is running.;
> no other software needed.
>
> My only question is: what happens if the K3 receives a serial command
> to switch ANT while it is transmitting? I assume the command will just
> be ignored, but would like to know for sure...
>
> 73,
> Drew
> AF2Z

Re: Antenna comparisons, WSPRnet and timed serial port macros

drewko
Even with dummy loads connected I'd hesitate to hot switch ANT.

Perhaps could try it while transmitting at 0 watts?

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 09:25:24 +0100, you wrote:

>Put it into TX on a dummy load and run your batch file and find out!
>73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
>

>On 7 Aug 2013, at 04:35, drewko wrote:
>
>> Ray,
>>
>> Tks again for the idea. I now have the batch files set up to switch
>> the K3's ANT every hour, half-hour or 15 mts while WSPR is running.;
>> no other software needed.
>>
>> My only question is: what happens if the K3 receives a serial command
>> to switch ANT while it is transmitting? I assume the command will just
>> be ignored, but would like to know for sure...
>>
>> 73,
>> Drew
>> AF2Z

Re: K3 Roofing Filters

Edward R Cole
Ray,

short answer:  Use the SSB bw filter for JT65.

The sw looks at up to 4-KHz bw, if available, and the narrow band
feature of this mode is accomplished at the digital level in the sw
(inside the computer).  Narrowing bw below this just limits the
number of signal the sw looks at.  JT65 and MAP65 both have sw
features to limit the decoding bw window if you are operating in a
crowded band.

That happens to me a lot as I am the only AK station QRV on 2m eme
(if you want eme WAS on 2m you have to work me - KL6M is working on
curing IM issues and should be on 2m-eme soon).

So I often have several stations calling me on JT65 and may be only
spaced 10-20 Hz apart.  JT65 provides the ability to narrow the bw
which I often set a 20-Hz.  If you are running JT65HF I am not
familiar enough what the HF environment is like to know if this
situation happens much on HF.  Narrowing the radio bw does not aid
JT65 in decoding.

73, Ed - KL7UW

----------------------
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 11:00:33 +0100
From: "Ray Coles" <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Elecraft] Reflector: K3 Roofing Filters

Since this subject is current (and likely always will be!) I have to ask the
learned brethren which filter does experience show to be best for use with
JT65 mode. I currently only have the standard issue 2.7KHz filter, which of
course works OK for everything (except I suppose DSB and FM). If I used CW I
would definitely choose a narrow-band filter, but the waterfall display used
for JT65, PSK31 etc. might lead me to rely on a 2-3KHz filter for these
modes, even though the signal bandwidths are much narrower. My question is:
is anyone using narrower roofing filters and tuning across the waterfall to
squeeze the most out of those DX data stations? Or am I being dumb?

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
[hidden email]
"Kits made by KL7UW"