K3 Setup and CM500 Headset Questions

Bryon
Hello everyone. I have a couple questions for you. I have browsed the
archives and I was not seeing anything that was helping.

This is a new K3 to me, the guy before was primarily a CW operator. He did
not even own a mic. So I decided to buy the Yamaha CM500 headset and was
trying to get it all setup this evening. Below is some of the things I have
tried. In short, I am looking for the settings you have found to work.

I am following the Fred Cady guide that I bought online. I am in the setting up
SSB section.

I was in test mode. When I was not in test mode I could get the TX light to
come on via the PTT foot pedal, the XMIT button and never VOX. I never
heard myself in test mode even when messing around with the Monitor,
Compression, MicGain, VOX Gain and the VOX Interrupt, Mic+Line (off). I am
using the Front Panel, Low, Heil adapter. I tried the
headphones/mic on the computer, they sound great and the mic picks up very
well.

So, with VOX not going off at all. I suspect the mic connection is not
getting to the radio. My headphones came with 1/8" to 1/4" adapters. 1
stereo and 1 mono.

the mic on the headset is 1/8" and goes directly into the adapter along
with the 1/4" PTT pedal. I then have the stereo 1/8" to 1/4" for the audio
and that is plugged into the front. I also wasn't sure what to connect
it to on the back since there are warning messages near the stereo
connectors on the back. I was afraid
to mess with anything there.

Is it a bias issue? A connector issue? Software setting?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bryon / W7RIV

Re: K3 Setup and CM500 Headset Questions

Greg - AB7R
Byron,

Go to the main menu and select rp AND tap the "2" button to turn bias on
that is needs by that mic.  You do not need mic+line.

Gl
73
GREG
AB7R
 On Feb 20, 2012 8:50 PM, "Bryon" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone. I have a couple questions for you. I have browsed the
> archives and I was not seeing anything that was helping.
>
> This is a new K3 to me, the guy before was primarily a CW operator. He did
> not even own a mic. So I decided to buy the Yamaha CM500 headset and was
> trying to get it all setup this evening. Below is some of the things I have
> tried. In short, I am looking for the settings you have found to work.
>
> I am following the Fred Cady guide that I bought online. I am in the
> setting up
> SSB section.
>
> I was in test mode. When I was not in test mode I could get the TX light to
> come on via the PTT foot pedal, the XMIT button and never VOX. I never
> heard myself in test mode even when messing around with the Monitor,
> Compression, MicGain, VOX Gain and the VOX Interrupt, Mic+Line (off). I am
> using the Front Panel, Low, Heil adapter. I tried the
> headphones/mic on the computer, they sound great and the mic picks up very
> well.
>
> So, with VOX not going off at all. I suspect the mic connection is not
> getting to the radio. My headphones came with 1/8" to 1/4" adapters. 1
> stereo and 1 mono.
>
> the mic on the headset is 1/8" and goes directly into the adapter along
> with the 1/4" PTT pedal. I then have the stereo 1/8" to 1/4" for the audio
> and that is plugged into the front. I also wasn't sure what to connect
> it to on the back since there are warning messages near the stereo
> connectors on the back. I was afraid
> to mess with anything there.
>
> Is it a bias issue? A connector issue? Software setting?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Bryon / W7RIV

Re: K3 Setup and CM500 Headset Questions

Bryon
I am using the Heil AD-1K. http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003264

I would like to use the front panel.

Thanks,
Bryon

On Monday, February 20, 2012, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Byron,
>
> Go to the main menu and select rp AND tap the "2" button to turn bias on
that is needs by that mic.  You do not need mic+line.

> Gl
> 73
> GREG
> AB7R
>
> On Feb 20, 2012 8:50 PM, "Bryon" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone. I have a couple questions for you. I have browsed the
>> archives and I was not seeing anything that was helping.
>>
>> This is a new K3 to me, the guy before was primarily a CW operator. He
did
>> not even own a mic. So I decided to buy the Yamaha CM500 headset and was
>> trying to get it all setup this evening. Below is some of the things I
have
>> tried. In short, I am looking for the settings you have found to work.
>>
>> I am following the Fred Cady guide that I bought online. I am in the
setting up
>> SSB section.
>>
>> I was in test mode. When I was not in test mode I could get the TX light
>> come on via the PTT foot pedal, the XMIT button and never VOX. I never
>> heard myself in test mode even when messing around with the Monitor,
>> Compression, MicGain, VOX Gain and the VOX Interrupt, Mic+Line (off). I
am
>> using the Front Panel, Low, Heil adapter. I tried the
>> headphones/mic on the computer, they sound great and the mic picks up
very
>> well.
>>
>> So, with VOX not going off at all. I suspect the mic connection is not
>> getting to the radio. My headphones came with 1/8" to 1/4" adapters. 1
>> stereo and 1 mono.
>>
>> the mic on the headset is 1/8" and goes directly into the adapter along
>> with the 1/4" PTT pedal. I then have the stereo 1/8" to 1/4" for the
audio

>> and that is plugged into the front. I also wasn't sure what to connect
>> it to on the back since there are warning messages near the stereo
>> connectors on the back. I was afraid
>> to mess with anything there.
>>
>> Is it a bias issue? A connector issue? Software setting?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>>
>> Bryon / W7RIV

- -
Bryon

Re: K3 Setup and CM500 Headset Questions

Jim Brown-10
On 2/20/2012 10:11 PM, Bryon wrote:
> I would like to use the front panel.

That's the hard way. The easy way is to plug the 1/8 connectors into the
rear panel jacks. The speaker can be turned on and off with the phones
connected through the menus (it's a toggle), and it's easy to assign
that toggle to one of the PF keys. I put it on PF2, so a "long push"
toggles the speaker on and off. Another advantage of using the rear
panel is that it leaves the front panel headphone connector free for use
by a guest op.

Re: K3 Setup and CM500 Headset Questions

Nr4c
When using the Heil adapter, you will have to use the little battery
box supplied with the CM500 because the Heil adapter for Kenwood had a
capacitor in the mic lead which blocks the DC from the K3 bias supply.
Save yourself a lot of trouble, and plug he CM500 in the back
mic/phones jacks.  Set the mic to RPL-bias.  Use VFO-A to set RP and tap
the "1" button to switch from H to L and tap the "2" button to turn on
bias.  Start with the mic gain set to around 17, Compression to around
17 and the Monitot to 10 to 12.  This should get you on the air, and
ready for some tweeking.  Oh, yeah, set the first three TX EQ steps (50,
100, 200) to -16, all others at +0 and you will sound good.  A bit of
tweeking here will make you sound great!

...bill   nr4c

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:50:09 -0700, Bryon wrote:

> Hello everyone. I have a couple questions for you. I have browsed the
> archives and I was not seeing anything that was helping.
>
> This is a new K3 to me, the guy before was primarily a CW operator.
> He did
> not even own a mic. So I decided to buy the Yamaha CM500 headset and
> was
> trying to get it all setup this evening. Below is some of the things
> I have
> tried. In short, I am looking for the settings you have found to
> work.
>
> I am following the Fred Cady guide that I bought online. I am in the
> setting up
> SSB section.
>
> I was in test mode. When I was not in test mode I could get the TX
> light to
> come on via the PTT foot pedal, the XMIT button and never VOX. I
> never
> heard myself in test mode even when messing around with the Monitor,
> Compression, MicGain, VOX Gain and the VOX Interrupt, Mic+Line (off).
> I am
> using the Front Panel, Low, Heil adapter. I tried the
> headphones/mic on the computer, they sound great and the mic picks up
> very

> well.
>
> So, with VOX not going off at all. I suspect the mic connection is
> not
> getting to the radio. My headphones came with 1/8" to 1/4" adapters.
> 1
> stereo and 1 mono.
>
> the mic on the headset is 1/8" and goes directly into the adapter
> along
> with the 1/4" PTT pedal. I then have the stereo 1/8" to 1/4" for the
> audio
> and that is plugged into the front. I also wasn't sure what to
> connect
> it to on the back since there are warning messages near the stereo
> connectors on the back. I was afraid
> to mess with anything there.
>
> Is it a bias issue? A connector issue? Software setting?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Bryon / W7RIV

Re: K3 Setup and CM500 Headset Questions

k.igor
The CM500 has electret condenser microphone. It require bias. If you want to
use front panel you have to use little battery box that came with the
headset. Just install the batteries and connect the battery box in series
with the microphone cable. If you decide to use rear panel, you do not need
the battery box, just need to use menu setting for rear panel mic with bias.

73,
Igor, N1YX

Re: K3 Setup and CM500 Headset Questions

Greg - AB7R
Actually you can apply bias to the FP or the RP or both using the MIC
SEL menu and the "2" button.  Ain't life great?  :)

On 2/21/2012 8:29 PM, Igor Kosvin wrote:

> The CM500 has electret condenser microphone. It require bias. If you want to
> use front panel you have to use little battery box that came with the
> headset. Just install the batteries and connect the battery box in series
> with the microphone cable. If you decide to use rear panel, you do not need
> the battery box, just need to use menu setting for rear panel mic with bias.
>
> 73,
> Igor, N1YX

Dave Zeph
The K3 can apply BIAS to either the Front 8-Pin Microphone Connector or the
rear 1/8" Connector.  BIAS settings for both are OFF, LOW, and HIGH.

The K3 uses the Kenwood Microphone Connector pinout.  Also if a Heil Adapter
is used, it has to be a version without the 1uF Blocking Capacitor.  Heild
makes both one for use with their HC4 / HC5 Dynamic Elements and another for
use with their iC Electret elements.

73 -- Dave, W9ZRX

Re: K3 Setup and CM500 Headset Questions

John Lemay
Just to put the record straight:-

BIAS settings are ON or OFF.

GAIN settings are LOW or HIGH.

The front panel mic connector can have an additional gain stage switched in,
for exceptionally low output mics.

All on p52 of the manual (Rev D10).

John G4ZTR

database 6903 (20120221) __________