K3 Setup for TX at 630 Meter Band

John Klewer-2
I likely just missed it but wondered if anyone knows how to enable transmit
on my new-synthesizer-equipped K3 in the 630 Meter band.

My transceiver indicates "BND END" when attempting transmit.

It may be that the firmware has not yet been modified as the band has not
yet been approved by the powers that be.....thanks for info (if available)

John, N6AX

Re: K3 Setup for TX at 630 Meter Band

Hi John,

You'll need a KBPF3A (or a modified KBPF3), which has a filter for this RF range. You'll also need a KXV3 (any type), because you have to the low-level transmit signal from the XVTR OUT jack, not from the main antenna jack. (The main antenna path has a pretty steep high-pass response to protect the PIN diodes in the T/R switch.)

Assuming you have the above in place:

1. Tune the VFO to the desired frequency (say 472 kHz)

2. Set CONFIG:KXV3B to TEST (this selects the XVTR IN/OUT jacks)

3. Set power output to 1.0 mW with the POWER control

You will of course need an external amplifier of some kind, and depending on how it is configured, you might also need a T/R path splitter to get the RX signal to XVTR IN.

On Jul 24, 2015, at 3:38 PM, John Klewer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I likely just missed it but wondered if anyone knows how to enable transmit
> on my new-synthesizer-equipped K3 in the 630 Meter band.
>
> My transceiver indicates "BND END" when attempting transmit.
>
> It may be that the firmware has not yet been modified as the band has not
> yet been approved by the powers that be.....thanks for info (if available)
>
> John, N6AX

Re: K3 Setup for TX at 630 Meter Band

Edward R Cole

John,

Wayne covered the technical aspects of transmitting on 630m, but
there are legal aspects that all newbies with K3s and upgraded K3's
should be aware.  There is NO HAM BAND on 630m so your ham license is
invalid for transmitting on those frequencies (FCC promises someday -
don't hold your breath).

The only way to legally transmit is to obtain an experimental license
from the FCC for use of 630m.  I am not prepared to walk you thru
that -  just saying its a lot more involved than a ham license.

If really interested in getting on before amateur radio is approved,
I suggest you get in touch with the ARRL Experimental Group:
http://www.500kc.com/

ARRL has just submitted renewal of our license: WD2XSH.  No additions
or modifications to the license are being made.  I am WD2XSH/45

73, Ed - KL7UW

--------------------
From: John Klewer <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 Setup for TX at 630 Meter Band

I likely just missed it but wondered if anyone knows how to enable transmit
on my new-synthesizer-equipped K3 in the 630 Meter band.

My transceiver indicates "BND END" when attempting transmit.

It may be that the firmware has not yet been modified as the band has not
yet been approved by the powers that be.....thanks for info (if available)

John, N6AX

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: K3 Setup for TX at 630 Meter Band

Good points, Ed. Thanks--

On Jul 25, 2015, at 2:52 PM, Edward R Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> Wayne covered the technical aspects of transmitting on 630m, but there are legal aspects that all newbies with K3s and upgraded K3's should be aware.  There is NO HAM BAND on 630m so your ham license is invalid for transmitting on those frequencies (FCC promises someday - don't hold your breath).
>
> The only way to legally transmit is to obtain an experimental license from the FCC for use of 630m.  I am not prepared to walk you thru that -  just saying its a lot more involved than a ham license.
>
> If really interested in getting on before amateur radio is approved, I suggest you get in touch with the ARRL Experimental Group: http://www.500kc.com/
>
> ARRL has just submitted renewal of our license: WD2XSH.  No additions or modifications to the license are being made.  I am WD2XSH/45
>
> 73, Ed - KL7UW

Transistor pads

Merv Schweigert
I was just updating my oldest K3 to the new Synth,  and a couple other mods,
one mod required the rear portion of the bottom plate be removed, I notice
there are no heatsink pads on the 3 transistors.
I do not have any on hand and there is nothing available on this island
for sure,
Is it possible to use silicone heat sink goop,  a small layer to replace
the pads?

Thanks  73 Merv  K9FD/KH6

Re: Transistor pads

Robert Friess