K3 - SignaLink USB

Richard W Hemingway
Thanks to everyone who replied.  It is solved!! You are a great group and I am loking forward to joining you after my K3 gets here.

Dick, N5XRD

cobweb antenna

Bill Blomgren

I'm still in the "pre-purchase" stage.. but I'm sort of thinking that the K3
is where I'm going to end up.. Possibly with the preamp...and then there is
the big problem: what to make it to the air with.....

The idea of starting off with the buddipole system is out there - and very
possible...

I've also been reading up on the plusses and minuses of many of the
alternatives that may be possible in an apartment life...

One is the magnetic loop - which is a tad pricey with the vac. variable --
lots of copper, and the need to tune the thing every time you change
frequency - and not just antenna tuner stuff - as in changing the cap on the
antenna itself. It is a very high q (and thus voltage and current)
critter...Rube Golberg figured out how to do that.. motors with long screw
drives into a sealed box with the cap inside..with very high voltages
there... and thus requiring altitude for safety..

I came across a nifty square thing called a cobweb, which is more or less
semi-flat over 4-5 bands... is very light..and can be made of pvc pipe or
possibly fiber glass because it just has 5 wires in a big square.. One
antenna to cover 20 17 15, 12 and 10 meters sounds interesting.. One of the
designs even works on 6, but has higher losses... (That may be the baluns
they use for a 4-1 impedance match and to go unbalanced...

Has anyone tried one of these critters, and if so, is the Elecraft happy
with it?

Re: cobweb antenna

Lee Stephens

 I had never heard of the 'Cobweb' but when I googled it...it looked
interesting but a tad on the large side for what you call 'apartment
life'.  I myself live in an apartment and find my best luck simply
using a piece of 14 gauge electric fence line I had on a spool....cut
for 20 meters...using a center insulator with coax connector and end
insulators on both ends.  I may have $15 total in the entire thing
including zip ties.  I used those tiny plant hooks you screw into the
wall and zip ties looped over the hooks and over the wire so that the
never touches the wall....about 6 inches down from my ceiling.

Now I will admit that I haven't quite been licensed a year yet.  And
I'll admit that I'm on the third floor.  And I'll admit that with the
power line noise and the plasma TV noise...and the fish pump
noise...and the touch lamp noise...that apartment life can be a living
RF Hell....however... somehow....since March...with my little KX3 and
10 watts at most I have managed to 2004 QSO's with 1098 of them
confirmed on LoTW.  With this set up I have done WAS with several
band/mode certificates.  I have managed 88 countries total....most of
them digital but I do have 42 countries on SSB.  I work mainly JT65-HF
and SSB...but I've worked my share of PSK31,63,125 QPSK63, RTTY, JT9,
and other digital modes...and one day I'll be comfortable enough
behind a key to pump out some CW contacts.

So...I would try just a piece of wire to start with...and you may just
be amazed at what you can do.  For what it is worth....I also have a
Buddipole and really enjoy taking it mountain topping in the Carolinas
every month or so.  With my new Solar Panel and some LiFePO4 batteries
on the way...I should be set for some good times.

Have fun with whatever you choose,

73
Lee Stephens
KK4JSJ
KX3 #3462

On Thursday 05/30/2013 at 10:27 pm, Bill Blomgren  wrote:

> I'm still in the "pre-purchase" stage.. but I'm sort of thinking that
> the K3
> is where I'm going to end up.. Possibly with the preamp...and then
> there is
> the big problem: what to make it to the air with.....
>
> The idea of starting off with the buddipole system is out there - and
> very
> possible...
>
> I've also been reading up on the plusses and minuses of many of the
> alternatives that may be possible in an apartment life...
>
> One is the magnetic loop - which is a tad pricey with the vac.
> variable --
> lots of copper, and the need to tune the thing every time you change
> frequency - and not just antenna tuner stuff - as in changing the cap
> on the
> antenna itself. It is a very high q (and thus voltage and current)
> critter...Rube Golberg figured out how to do that.. motors with long
> screw
> drives into a sealed box with the cap inside..with very high voltages
> there... and thus requiring altitude for safety..
>
> I came across a nifty square thing called a cobweb, which is more or
> less
> semi-flat over 4-5 bands... is very light..and can be made of pvc pipe
> or
> possibly fiber glass because it just has 5 wires in a big square.. One
> antenna to cover 20 17 15, 12 and 10 meters sounds interesting.. One
> of the
> designs even works on 6, but has higher losses... (That may be the
> baluns
> they use for a 4-1 impedance match and to go unbalanced...
>
> Has anyone tried one of these critters, and if so, is the Elecraft
> happy
> with it?

Re: cobweb antenna

Tony Estep
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Lee Stephens
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> ....never heard of the 'Cobweb' but....

===========
Well, it's really the same thing as a halo, which in turn is the same thing
as a dipole that's been bent into a circle (or in this case a square) and
trimmed so that it's resonant after taking account of the proximity effect
at the ends. It emits horizontally polarized radiation in all directions,
and generally works fine. Several can be combined for an all-bander (see
http://www.g3tpw.co.uk/). If fed with coax, it will benefit from a coaxial
choke mounted near the antenna.

Tony KT0NY

Re: cobweb antenna

David Cutter
I built one for a disabled friend of mine and it worked 'right out of the
box' as you might say.  It required very little tweeking to get it centred
on the phone bands that he required.  I know several people who have them
and they stay up and stay tuned even in what we call windy conditions.  They
also have the advantage of being quiet, ie not so sensitive to local
electrical noise.  It uses large twin wire in a folded dipole configuration
for each element, they are all cut to size pre-assembled ready to go with
all the stainless steel hardware.  It provides low swr right across the
phone bands.  We didn't fit any extra chokes: the one in the box seems to
work fine.

If I were choosing such a device, I would build the version designed by
G3TXQ, see here: http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/cobweb/   This design
significantly lighter weight.  He also re-designed the HexBeam and most
suppliers now use his design, see here:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/wire_beams/

There are many other pages of interest on his site, in particular his
treatment of common mode chokes which I recommend to anyone:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/  all on one page.

David
G3UNA

----- Original [hidden email]

> I came across a nifty square thing called a cobweb, which is more or less
> semi-flat over 4-5 bands... is very light..and can be made of pvc pipe or
> possibly fiber glass because it just has 5 wires in a big square.. One
> antenna to cover 20 17 15, 12 and 10 meters sounds interesting.. One of
> the designs even works on 6, but has higher losses... (That may be the
> baluns they use for a 4-1 impedance match and to go unbalanced...
>
> Has anyone tried one of these critters, and if so, is the Elecraft happy
> with it?

Re: cobweb antenna

Bill Clarke
For the rather rare times I operate on the "DX" bands, I use a Cushcraft
R5 (five bands 10-20). Much smaller foot print than a cobweb style
antenna. Has been up for over twenty years and is still going.

Bill W2BLC

Re: cobweb antenna

Geoffrey Downs-3
I've been using a Cobwebb from G3TPW for over 2 years and it works very
well. Putting it together was pretty straightforward and it's mounted on a
mast that rests at 25ft but can be raised to 40ft when it's not too windy. I
resonated it roughly in the middle of each band. No atu needed for 18 and 24
and the K3's internal atu or the KAT500 will easily cope with it at the
upper and lower ends of 14, 21 and 28. For some reason it goes off resonance
a bit in wet wx but again nothing an atu can't deal with.

Advantages: Small footprint, low visual impact, good wind survival,
omnidirectional so no rotator needed, copes easily with the UK power legal
limit (allegedly will handle 3kw), low noise on rx.

Disadvantage: Lacks the gain you would have with even a small beam but I've
not found this a worry and usually if I can hear 'em I can work 'em.

To give you an idea of what a cobwebb will do - a few weeks ago on 17m my
KX3 (no atu) and I had a 10w SSB qso from here to WA (W7 land). Our report
was 53 with the cobwebb at 25ft.

73

Geoff
G3UCK

Re: cobweb antenna

Rich Ardolino

Hello Bill,

I have no intent to denigrate the design and functionality of the "Cobweb" style antenna but.........

Several years ago I was inclined to acquire the G3TPW commercial version of the "CobWebb" antenna, I found the website ( www.g3tpw.co.u  ) and sent an email asking how to order, method of payment & shipping charges, etc. Got no response......I thought maybe there was some problem with the 1st email attempt so I sent another.....still no response. So I sent an inquiry via regular mail, including a self addressed (with postage) return envelope......no reply whatsoever.......

So I can't comment on how well the G3TPW version functions......but in consideration of my above described  experience, maybe you should limit your effort to a homebrew version.

Also, later I had good results with the homebrew version of the Buddipole, built from free instructions on W3FF's homepage ( https://sites.google.com/site/w3ffhomepage/  ). But back then I was doing more portable ops and since the commercial version is more sturdy I decided to get one......saw one being offered on ebay so I bid and won the auction. Eventually I lost one small bit and needed a replacement part so I contacted W3FF and got very fast response....even though I hadn't purchased direct from them.

So I've decided customer service is just as important as functionality when deciding which products to acquire. Just my opinion...............

Rich  K2CPE

K2 #1102

On 5/30/2013 7:27 PM, Bill Blomgren wrote:

> Has anyone tried one of these critters, and if so, is the Elecraft
> happy with it?

Why BUY an antenna when you can  very easily build one for a lot less
money that will likely work better?  Here are some articles by hams who
have done a lot with only a little bit of space. The first is by AC0C,
who built a complete antenna system in the attic of his apartment!

http://www.kcdxclub.com/Stealth%20Antennas-r1%20-%20AC0C%20-%202-2009.pdf

These two NCCC newsletters include articles by N6NUL about the stealth
antenna systems he's put together for his townhouse apartment.

http://www.nccc.cc/jug/2013/04Apr2013.pdf

http://www.nccc.cc/jug/2013/05May2013.pdf

These are sophisticated solutions, but much simpler ones are possible.
Toss a wire into a tree, connect it to the center of the coax connector,
toss another one on the ground (or wherever you can) and connect it to
the K3 chassis. You've now got a random wire antenna that will run rings
around Buddipoles, simply because it's a lot more efficient. Any wire
from #22 gauge or larger will work fine.

If you CAN put up a beam of some sort, that cobweb thing sounds
interesting. Also consider a commercial product called a Spider Beam,
which is a decent antenna.

Antennas like a Buddipole are convenient and compact, but they're not
very efficient, and are pretty narrow band. To understand why, study the
chapter on antennas in the ARRL Handbook, and the ARRL Antenna Book.
Buying and studying those books would be a FAR better way to spend your
money on antennas.

Re: cobweb antenna

Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here are some articles by hams who have done a lot with only a little bit of space. The first is by AC0C, who built a complete antenna system in the attic of his apartment!

A fun read, Jim. Thanks. I've also had good success with attic antennas in the past.

> Toss a wire into a tree, connect it to the center of the coax connector, toss another one on the ground (or wherever you can) and connect it to the K3 chassis. You've now got a random wire antenna that will run rings around Buddipoles, simply because it's a lot more efficient. Any wire from #22 gauge or larger will work fine.

Large wire is great when weight isn't an issue. But I found #22 to be too heavy for lightweight backpacking, so I use #26 "silky" insulated wire from The Wireman. As a result, my wire-in-a-tree antenna weighs about 2 oz., not counting a couple of 1-oz stainless steel 1" hex nuts for tossing wires. #26 is sufficient for QRP use.

One other tip: instead of coiling antenna wire in the usual way for transport, wind it in a small figure-8 pattern on one hand, then cinch it with a twist-tie. When the tie is removed, the wire will spring out with absolutely no tangles or kinks.

Re: cobweb antenna

David Gilbert

Having once owned an R-5, and having opened the "matching network" box
to see what's inside it, I'd take the cobweb antenna over the R-5 for
performance any day.

Dave   AB7E

On 5/31/2013 3:35 AM, Bill wrote:
> For the rather rare times I operate on the "DX" bands, I use a
> Cushcraft R5 (five bands 10-20). Much smaller foot print than a cobweb
> style antenna. Has been up for over twenty years and is still going.
>
> Bill W2BLC

Re: cobweb antenna

Yngvi (TF3Y)
Hi folks.

I used a CobWebb by G3TPW for a few years. It's a nice and compact antenna
and it withstood the Iceland climate very well.
I had it on a 16 ft. 2.5" dia aluminium tube at the top of my house. Total
height above ground 32 ft.

The performance was always better than a full size 1/4 wave ground mounted
vertical and noise floor on RX considerably lower.

The CobWebb has a fairly narrow bandwith as it is a dipole bent in a
square. The dipole is T matched with a current balun at the feedpoint. It's
almost omni directional.

I currently have a 2 el. SteppIR but I really liked the CobWebb. It's quite
an efficient antenna.

73, Yngvi TF3Y
http://www.tf3y.net

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>

> I have no intent to denigrate the design and functionality of the "Cobweb"
> style antenna but.........
>

> Several years ago I was inclined to acquire the G3TPW commercial version
> of the "CobWebb" antenna, I found the website ( www.g3tpw.co.u  ) and sent
> an email asking how to order, method of payment & shipping charges, etc.
> Got no response......I thought maybe there was some problem with the 1st
> email attempt so I sent another.....still no response. So I sent an inquiry
> via regular mail, including a self addressed (with postage) return
> envelope......no reply whatsoever.......
>

> So I can't comment on how well the G3TPW version functions......but in
> consideration of my above described  experience, maybe you should limit
> your effort to a homebrew version.
>

> Also, later I had good results with the homebrew version of the Buddipole,
> built from free instructions on W3FF's homepage (
> https://sites.google.com/site/w3ffhomepage/  ). But back then I was doing
> more portable ops and since the commercial version is more sturdy I decided
> to get one......saw one being offered on ebay so I bid and won the auction.
> Eventually I lost one small bit and needed a replacement part so I
> contacted W3FF and got very fast response....even though I hadn't purchased
> direct from them.
>

> So I've decided customer service is just as important as functionality
> when deciding which products to acquire. Just my opinion...............
>

> Rich  K2CPE
>
> K2 #1102

Re: cobweb antenna

John Saxon
FWIW:

I am at the least demanding end of ham operating (in my opinion)...occasional CW rag chews.  Most of my time is on my workbench restoring/building boat anchor stuff.  I am in an HOA area and here is what I ended up with for my antenna, and am very pleased.

The "Emergency Amateur Radio Club" in Hawaii sells an antenna that has worked for my needs.  They sell a 30' length of wire and an UNUN fitted with a SO-259.  I got a 33' telescoping fiberglass pole from MFJ.  I attached the pole to my back fence (6' wooden).  It only takes a couple of minutes to attach the wire and host up the pole.  Collapsing the pole also a couple of minutes.

The antenna is here...
http://earchi.org/92011endfedfiles/Endfed6_40.pdf

I am running a K3/10 and getting solid CW reports.  Not any DX, mind you, but am working coast-to-coast which satisfies my needs.  No radials, and the pole does not need guys.  Does require a tuner(I don't have the K3 internal tuner), I am using a Kenwood AT-230 which loads it just fine 40-10.  Haven't tried 6, doesn't load on 80.

When the weather turns bad, I just take it down.  Collapsed it is 4' which is 2' shorter than my fence!  One thing that helps is that there is no one behind me, no power lines and no trees - it is in the clear.  When deployed, one has to really look for it to see it, and most of the time it is down.  I always take it down in the evening when I am done.  I have had not had any complaints from the HOA.

Very simple and unsophisticated , but meets my needs.  Total investment about $130.

"I have no financial interest..."  blah, blah, blah.

Maybe this will be of interest to someone.

73,
John
K5ENQ

________________________________

On 5/31/2013 3:35 AM, Bill wrote:
> For the rather rare times I operate on the "DX" bands, I use a
> Cushcraft R5 (five bands 10-20). Much smaller foot print than a cobweb
> style antenna. Has been up for over twenty years and is still going.
>
> Bill W2BLC

Re: cobweb antenna

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
Theoretically, performance should be similar to a dipole, although with a
near-omnidirectional pattern (and of course reduced bandwidth). It might be perfect for
certain antenna-restricted circumstances.

There is a statement on the G3PTW website which is interesting, and I would like to hear
what others say about this:

"The confined electric near field (caused by the high impedance ends of each dipole being
close to each other) also ensures that the antenna does not couple to other electrical
conductors i.e. telephone wires, power cables, television antennas or even the ground and
lossy di-electrics such as trees and buildings. Thus the radiated power is not absorbed by
nearby objects, it is all radiated into free space. Breakthrough and noise pick up are
also reduced to an absolute minimum and the ground conductivity and height do not affect
the antenna tuning."

Does this sound reasonable?

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: cobweb antenna

Different strokes for different folks but the R5 along with an 80/40
trap inverted V at 40 feet allowed me to make Honor Roll both Mixed
and CW over the past 10 year (100W maximum power) after being off the
air for most of the previous 20 years.

The R6000 (current incarnation of the R5) and the R8 (R6000 with
40 and 30 meters) are essentially off center fed vertical dipoles.
In spite of the way the capacitors in the "matching network" look,
the antenna is as efficient as one can expect from a vertical and
lacking a *high* support for a horizontal antenna (if you can get
a multiband rotatable dipole above 40 feet go for it), I'd take the
R5/R6000/R7/R8 over the cobweb and similar antennas in heartbeat.

Unless one is building a tower, my advice for those just getting
on the air is the R6000 (20-6) or R8 (40-6) as that will provide a
single antenna solution to the greatest number of bands and it
works out of the box - no need to fight with radials, etc.  Once
one has "gotten his feet wet", then it's time to investigate more
effective antennas (yagis, etc.) and antennas for the other (160,
80, 40) bands.

On 5/31/2013 1:25 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Having once owned an R-5, and having opened the "matching network" box
> to see what's inside it, I'd take the cobweb antenna over the R-5 for
> performance any day.
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 5/31/2013 3:35 AM, Bill wrote:
>> For the rather rare times I operate on the "DX" bands, I use a
>> Cushcraft R5 (five bands 10-20). Much smaller foot print than a cobweb
>> style antenna. Has been up for over twenty years and is still going.
>>
>> Bill W2BLC

Re: cobweb antenna

 > Does this sound reasonable?

No.  If the field is not able to couple to nearby objects, it is not
able to radiate (couple to) distant receivers.  The statement flies
completely in the face of physics.

On 5/31/2013 2:59 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> Theoretically, performance should be similar to a dipole, although with
> a near-omnidirectional pattern (and of course reduced bandwidth). It
> might be perfect for certain antenna-restricted circumstances.
>
> There is a statement on the G3PTW website which is interesting, and I
> would like to hear what others say about this:
>
> "The confined electric near field (caused by the high impedance ends of
> each dipole being close to each other) also ensures that the antenna
> does not couple to other electrical conductors i.e. telephone wires,
> power cables, television antennas or even the ground and lossy
> di-electrics such as trees and buildings. Thus the radiated power is not
> absorbed by nearby objects, it is all radiated into free space.
> Breakthrough and noise pick up are also reduced to an absolute minimum
> and the ground conductivity and height do not affect the antenna tuning."
>
> Does this sound reasonable?
>
> On 5/31/2013 10:46 AM, Yngvi (TF3Y) wrote:
>> Hi folks.
>  >
>  > I used a CobWebb by G3TPW for a few years. It's a nice and compact
>  > antenna and it withstood the Iceland climate very well. I had it on a
>  > 16 ft. 2.5" dia aluminium tube at the top of my house. Total height
>  > above ground 32 ft.
>  >
>  > The performance was always better than a full size 1/4 wave ground
>  > mounted vertical and noise floor on RX considerably lower.
>  >
>  > The CobWebb has a fairly narrow bandwith as it is a dipole bent in a
>  > square. The dipole is T matched with a current balun at the
>  > feedpoint. It's almost omni directional.
>  >
>  > I currently have a 2 el. SteppIR but I really liked the CobWebb. It's
>  > quite an efficient antenna.
>  >
>  > 73, Yngvi TF3Y http://www.tf3y.net

RX and TX equalizers

Jay Kobelin
Is there a way to set these once for a mode and have it do it to the
remaining all applicable modes? I have 6 K3s here and that's a lot of
settings.

I do have the K3EZ working which makes it easier.

Any tricks or just need to plow thru them all?

Kinda curious
Tnx
Jay

Re: cobweb antenna

> > Does this sound reasonable?
>
> No.  If the field is not able to couple to nearby objects, it is not
> able to radiate (couple to) distant receivers.  The statement flies
> completely in the face of physics.

Agreed.

Jim K9YC

EARC End Fed 6-40 question (Was Re: cobweb antenna)

Jeff Ellis
I got the kit John talks about and made the antenna. Its was quick and fun to make.  I have a question about it though. I had a 70' wire that I had been using just for RX to test a IC-718 and I hooked it up to the UNUN box instead of the 30' wire that came with the kit. Its below 2:1 on 6m, 12m, 17m, 40m and less then 4:1 on 10, 20m, 80m and about 6:1 on 30m, 160m. The only really high one is 60m.  So really all but 60m are tunable by the KX3 tuner board. I am using what I remember to be about 15' of RG-58/U. My Shack area is on the second floor of the house and the wire goes out my window and down to the back fence.

My problem is I am getting RF coming back into the shack (on just 5W) where it will reset my USB hub a few feet away from the radio. Not fun when trying to work digital modes. This only happens on some bands but I know happens on 20m where I try and work the most. I expect its just the ones less resonate that its doing it on but I need to check again.

Will adding a number of ferrite on the feed line help choke the RF? Will winding the feed line around a tube to make an air choke work? I guess that one is cheep enough I should just try it. Buying 10 or more ferrite to clamp to the line costs more ;)

What about using a longer feed line? I really don't want to add a counterpoise and the instructions said it does not need one. I could use the 30' antenna wire it came with if that is going to help. I would not think so since its resonate on so many bands and tunable on the others.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff, K7GDE

On May 31, 2013, at 10:56 AM, John Saxon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "Emergency Amateur Radio Club" in Hawaii sells an antenna that has worked for my needs.  They sell a 30' length of wire and an UNUN fitted with a SO-259.  I got a 33' telescoping fiberglass pole from MFJ.  I attached the pole to my back fence (6' wooden).  It only takes a couple of minutes to attach the wire and host up the pole.  Collapsing the pole also a couple of minutes.
>
> The antenna is here...
> http://earchi.org/92011endfedfiles/Endfed6_40.pdf
> John
> K5ENQ

Re: EARC End Fed 6-40 question (Was Re: cobweb antenna)

Dennis Moore
I also wound one of these ununs according to their directions. The
drawback to this antenna is that it uses the shield of the feedline as
the counterpoise. If you try ferrite beads, or even winding an air
choke, I would think they'd need to be closer to the rig than to the unun.

73, Dennis NJ6G