Quantcast

K3-Signalink USB connection question

Rick Braun
There must be a simple answer to this question, I am having a brain fade. The SignaLink for the K3 comes with an 8 pin mic connector for front panel connection between the radio and the SignaLink.  However, there is no receive audio at the front panel mic connector, right?  Thus, no waterfall.   If so, how do you get receive audio from the radio to the SignaLink?  Thanks for any help.

Rick Braun
K3 #2869

Re: K3-Signalink USB connection question

KK7P
> There must be a simple answer to this question, I am having a brain fade. The SignaLink for the K3 comes with an 8 pin mic connector for front panel connection between the radio and the SignaLink.  However, there is no receive audio at the front panel mic connector, right?  Thus, no waterfall.   If so, how do you get receive audio from the radio to the SignaLink?  Thanks for any help.

LINE OUT from the K3 to the SignaLink USB alternate receive input.  It
is labeled MON, or AUX, I've forgotten which.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: K3-Signalink USB connection question

Rick,

You are correct, there is no receive audio at the microphone connector,
but you have several other choices.

You can use audio from the rear panel - use a stereo cable (even if the
audio is monoral) with 3.5mm plugs on each end.  You have your choice of
taking audio from the headphone jack at the rear or the speaker jack on
the rear panel, or the LINE OUT jack.  Of course, you could use the 1/4
inch headphone jack on the front panel too - lots of possibilities.

The easiest with the K3 is to forget the SignaLink and connect the K3
LINE IN and LINE OUT jacks directly to the soundcard LINE OUT and LINE
IN jacks.  No external interface is required for data modes with the K3,
the isolated interface is built in.  Either use VOX or use PTT from the
RS-232 port, or if you are using an application that supports keying
with the KY commands (like HRD/DM780) use that method in preference to
the other choices.

Rick Braun wrote:

> There must be a simple answer to this question, I am having a brain fade. The SignaLink for the K3 comes with an 8 pin mic connector for front panel connection between the radio and the SignaLink.  However, there is no receive audio at the front panel mic connector, right?  Thus, no waterfall.   If so, how do you get receive audio from the radio to the SignaLink?  Thanks for any help.
>
> Rick Braun
> K3 #2869

Re: K3-Signalink USB connection question

ac0h
Rick,

Lyle had it right.
To take advantage of the Signalink's onboard sound card connect the K3
line out to the Signalink AUX port. The Signalink will send the audio
data back to whichever program you're using via it's USB or RS-232
connection.

I was using a Signalink USB with my K2 because the old, and I mean old
sound card in my old computer was very noisy. New computer, new
M-Audio  2496 sound card, and I've retired the Signalink.

Rick Braun wrote:

> There must be a simple answer to this question, I am having a brain fade. The SignaLink for the K3 comes with an 8 pin mic connector for front panel connection between the radio and the SignaLink.  However, there is no receive audio at the front panel mic connector, right?  Thus, no waterfall.   If so, how do you get receive audio from the radio to the SignaLink?  Thanks for any help.
>
> Rick Braun
> K3 #2869

R. Kevin Stover
ACØH

R91 on mainboard

Brett Howard
Ok so I'm being a bit lazy and didn't want to dig and find what R91 does
but being that the KRX3 manual eludes to the fact that that R may
already be 22 ohms makes me think that I can replace it with 22ohms
while I'm in installing the new digital board for the band data pull up
R's and doing the short circuit protect for the speaker jack.

I'm probably going to be buying the KRX3 so cutting the two traces near
R91 (which is in the manual for the new digital board) will also help
make the KRX3 go in easier...

Any other tips I'm all ears.  Sorry for not doing a bunch of searching
but I'm about to head into the office and go do this work...

Thanks much.

Re: R91 on mainboard

Brett Howard
Guess it was a non issue... R91 was already 22ohms on my board so the
answer to this question is YES you can have that resistor at 22 ohms
sans sub receiver.