[K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Phil Hystad-3
I did something tonight I have not done before since having my P3 TX Monitor in place.  I was testing the adjustment on my paddle in TX Test Mode and I noticed that the P3 acted as normal — that is, no signal — with the exception of the bar graph for SWR.  The bar graph registered an SWR of 3:1 (normally about 1.1:1) in response to key down while in Test Mode.  Yet, the bar graph acts normally showing the correct SWR in TX mode (not test).

I would expect that the P3 would not register anything while in Test Mode TX — just like before hooking up the TX Monitor.

So, this is a little anomaly that others see and is this normal behavior?

Thanks,
73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Merv Schweigert
Mine registers anything it wants in non transmit mode,  many times pegs
the swr chart, other
times 2 or 3 to 1..  normal from what I see.

Merv K9FD/KH6   WH2XCR

> I did something tonight I have not done before since having my P3 TX Monitor in place.  I was testing the adjustment on my paddle in TX Test Mode and I noticed that the P3 acted as normal — that is, no signal — with the exception of the bar graph for SWR.  The bar graph registered an SWR of 3:1 (normally about 1.1:1) in response to key down while in Test Mode.  Yet, the bar graph acts normally showing the correct SWR in TX mode (not test).
>
> I would expect that the P3 would not register anything while in Test Mode TX — just like before hooking up the TX Monitor.
>
> So, this is a little anomaly that others see and is this normal behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Dan Atchison
Phil:

Do you have a K3S by any chance.  My K3S actually transmits a signal
when in TEST mode!  When I told Elecraft about it, they shrugged their
heads like it can't be.

The TX power appears both on my P3 (with TX MON showing both PEP and
SWR), and also my LP-100A wattmeter.  It's only very, very short  bursts
of my CW sent signal, but it's there.  My K3 does not do this.

As mentioned, I see this with TEST on and either VOX on or off. Have
never noticed on sideband.

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
At what power level do you see or measure this signal?  I don't seem to
see any power output in TEST mode during transmit.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 9/29/2015 12:23 PM, Dan Atchison wrote:

> Phil:
>
> Do you have a K3S by any chance.  My K3S actually transmits a signal
> when in TEST mode!  When I told Elecraft about it, they shrugged their
> heads like it can't be.
>
> The TX power appears both on my P3 (with TX MON showing both PEP and
> SWR), and also my LP-100A wattmeter.  It's only very, very short
> bursts of my CW sent signal, but it's there.  My K3 does not do this.
>
> As mentioned, I see this with TEST on and either VOX on or off. Have
> never noticed on sideband.

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Phil Hystad-3
In Test mode there is no signal output at all.  That is the reason for Test Mode.  So, on the P3, you don’t see a signal and you don’t see signal power level.  But, the fact that the SWR bar chart shows something is, to me, an anomaly.

73, phil

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> At what power level do you see or measure this signal?  I don't seem to see any power output in TEST mode during transmit.
>
> 73
> Bob, K4TAX
>
> On 9/29/2015 12:23 PM, Dan Atchison wrote:
>> Phil:
>>
>> Do you have a K3S by any chance.  My K3S actually transmits a signal when in TEST mode!  When I told Elecraft about it, they shrugged their heads like it can't be.
>>
>> The TX power appears both on my P3 (with TX MON showing both PEP and SWR), and also my LP-100A wattmeter.  It's only very, very short  bursts of my CW sent signal, but it's there.  My K3 does not do this.
>>
>> As mentioned, I see this with TEST on and either VOX on or off. Have never noticed on sideband.

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
OK Phil.  I supposed I was confused where you said " My K3S actually
transmits a signal when in TEST mode!"   I didn't find any measurable
output when in TEST mode using my K3S.

Thanks.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 9/29/2015 12:52 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> In Test mode there is no signal output at all.  That is the reason for Test Mode.  So, on the P3, you don’t see a signal and you don’t see signal power level.  But, the fact that the SWR bar chart shows something is, to me, an anomaly.
>
> 73, phil
>

>> >On Sep 29, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> >
>> >At what power level do you see or measure this signal?  I don't seem to see any power output in TEST mode during transmit.
>> >
>> >73
>> >Bob, K4TAX

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Phil Hystad-3
Actually, I don’t have a K3S.  Though, I do see another message quoted below from Dan Atchison who mentions a K3S transmitting a signal in Test mode.  No signal on a K3 though.

73, phil

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 11:03 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK Phil.  I supposed I was confused where you said " My K3S actually transmits a signal when in TEST mode!"   I didn't find any measurable output when in TEST mode using my K3S.
>
> Thanks.
>
> 73
> Bob, K4TAX
>
> On 9/29/2015 12:52 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> In Test mode there is no signal output at all.  That is the reason for Test Mode.  So, on the P3, you don’t see a signal and you don’t see signal power level.  But, the fact that the SWR bar chart shows something is, to me, an anomaly.
>>
>> 73, phil

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Steve Glickstein
I notice this too with my K3and TXMon.  It appears to occur in the Test
Mode after I've previously used the transmitter.  My guess is that there
may be a capacitor or two holding some voltagefrom the prior real
transmission. If I use the test mode first, before any transmissions,
the PEP/SWR indicators on the TXMon are both zero.

73, Steve W4FMD

On 9/28/2015 9:40 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I did something tonight I have not done before since having my P3 TX Monitor in place.  I was testing the adjustment on my paddle in TX Test Mode and I noticed that the P3 acted as normal — that is, no signal — with the exception of the bar graph for SWR.  The bar graph registered an SWR of 3:1 (normally about 1.1:1) in response to key down while in Test Mode.  Yet, the bar graph acts normally showing the correct SWR in TX mode (not test).
>
> I would expect that the P3 would not register anything while in Test Mode TX — just like before hooking up the TX Monitor.
>
> So, this is a little anomaly that others see and is this normal behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Phil Hystad-3
Steve — Sounds like that is indeed what is happening.  I may look into drilling some holes in the capacitors so the charge will leak out. :-)

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 3:28 PM, Steve Glickstein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I notice this too with my K3and TXMon.  It appears to occur in the Test Mode after I've previously used the transmitter.  My guess is that there may be a capacitor or two holding some voltagefrom the prior real transmission. If I use the test mode first, before any transmissions, the PEP/SWR indicators on the TXMon are both zero.
>
> 73, Steve W4FMD
>

> On 9/28/2015 9:40 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> I did something tonight I have not done before since having my P3 TX Monitor in place.  I was testing the adjustment on my paddle in TX Test Mode and I noticed that the P3 acted as normal — that is, no signal — with the exception of the bar graph for SWR.  The bar graph registered an SWR of 3:1 (normally about 1.1:1) in response to key down while in Test Mode.  Yet, the bar graph acts normally showing the correct SWR in TX mode (not test).
>>
>> I would expect that the P3 would not register anything while in Test Mode TX — just like before hooking up the TX Monitor.
>>
>> So, this is a little anomaly that others see and is this normal behavior?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

Alan Bloom
On 09/29/2015 04:26 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

>>>The
>>> bar graph registered an SWR of 3:1 (normally about 1.1:1) in
>>> response to key down while in Test Mode.  Yet, the bar graph acts
>>> normally showing the correct SWR in TX mode (not test).

In test mode there is no power out of the K3.  The SWR calculation gets
confused when both forward and reflected power are zero.  In the next
code release I'll add a feature to force the SWR to read 1:1 when
forward power is close to zero.

Alan N1AL

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

gm3sek
In the next
>code release I'll add a feature to force the SWR to read 1:1 when
>forward power is close to zero.
>
>Alan N1AL

If no valid result is possible, then "1:1" would be the *worst* possible
choice! Simply blank the display or show "N/A".

Most QRPers understand that primitive SWR meters may display "zero
reflected power" due to the diode threshold voltage, but we'd hope for
the P3 to be a little smarter.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

Re: [K3] Test Mode TX and TX Monitor?

George Danner
Phil - just remount them upside down. It will run out of it's own accord!

73 George AI4VZ