[K3] UPS for K3

N7US
Is it overkill to power my Astron RS-35 power supply that runs my K3 from a
UPS?  I am looking at a CyberPower CST1300AL from Costco
(http://tinyurl.com/pajlsav) .  It produces a "modified sine wave" when the
primary power has been lost, which is true of most UPS models.

I'm usually home so the plan is to turn the K3 off with its power switch in
the event of a power failure.

Looking at
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/support/faqs/topologysinewave.html my
conclusion is that type of UPS is adequate for an Astron supply powering the
K3, a computer, and accessories, but I'm no engineer.

73, Jim N7US

Re: [K3] UPS for K3

Bruce Beford-4
> Is it overkill to power my Astron RS-35 power supply that runs my K3 from
> a UPS?

In my opinion, yes- it's overkill. I personally would probably use the
Astron to float a deep cycle or SLA battery on it's output. You might also
want to investigate adding a PWRgate or similar Schottky diode matrix to the
mix. This would provide not only the protection against abrupt power failure
that you seem to seek, but also provide some additional operating time in
the event of power fail. Those UPS units are designed to run for only a
handful of minutes, while a computer system shuts down.

GL,
Bruce/N1RX

Re: [K3] UPS for K3

Dennis Griffin-2
Here is a link to the PWRgate that I believe Bruce is referring to. This item is a compact, relatively low cost, well regarded solution that would be appropriate for use in the scheme Bruce has suggested. A yellow or blue top Optima, or other good AGM battery, along with a PWRgate, wouldn't cost too much more than the UPS being considered, but would be much more useful & versatile.

http://ki0bk.no-ip.com/~pwrgate/LLPG/Site/Welcome.html

73 de Dennis KD7CAC
Scottsdale, AZ

On Jul 21, 2014, at 4:34 AM, Bruce Beford <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Is it overkill to power my Astron RS-35 power supply that runs my K3 from
>> a UPS?
>
> In my opinion, yes- it's overkill. I personally would probably use the
> Astron to float a deep cycle or SLA battery on it's output. You might also
> want to investigate adding a PWRgate or similar Schottky diode matrix to the
> mix. This would provide not only the protection against abrupt power failure
> that you seem to seek, but also provide some additional operating time in
> the event of power fail. Those UPS units are designed to run for only a
> handful of minutes, while a computer system shuts down.
>
> GL,
> Bruce/N1RX

Re: [K3] UPS for K3

NK7Z
For those that like to build things, see:

http://k2jji.org/files/Power_Gate_Assembly_Instructions_v2.pdf

for instructions on building your very own power gate...

Even has a rudimentary battery charger you can add...  The devices cost
a whopping 3 bucks delivered from eBay.
--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net

On Mon, 2014-07-21 at 05:30 -0700, Dennis Griffin wrote:

> Here is a link to the PWRgate that I believe Bruce is referring to. This item is a compact, relatively low cost, well regarded solution that would be appropriate for use in the scheme Bruce has suggested. A yellow or blue top Optima, or other good AGM battery, along with a PWRgate, wouldn't cost too much more than the UPS being considered, but would be much more useful & versatile.
>
> http://ki0bk.no-ip.com/~pwrgate/LLPG/Site/Welcome.html
>
> 73 de Dennis KD7CAC
> Scottsdale, AZ
>
> On Jul 21, 2014, at 4:34 AM, Bruce Beford <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> Is it overkill to power my Astron RS-35 power supply that runs my K3 from
> >> a UPS?
> >
> > In my opinion, yes- it's overkill. I personally would probably use the
> > Astron to float a deep cycle or SLA battery on it's output. You might also
> > want to investigate adding a PWRgate or similar Schottky diode matrix to the
> > mix. This would provide not only the protection against abrupt power failure
> > that you seem to seek, but also provide some additional operating time in
> > the event of power fail. Those UPS units are designed to run for only a
> > handful of minutes, while a computer system shuts down.
> >
> > GL,
> > Bruce/N1RX

Re: [K3] UPS for K3

Bill W
Where might one actually find the "kit" on-line?
I have not had any luck with my search.
Thanks,
Bill - W0BBI

Re: [K3] UPS for K3

Bruce Beford-4
The kit referred to in these instructions:
http://k2jji.org/files/Power_Gate_Assembly_Instructions_v2.pdf

is no longer available from the NFARL. However, the instructions contain all
the info needed for a builder to source their own parts.
Bruce/N1RX

> Where might one actually find the "kit" on-line?
> I have not had any luck with my search.
> Thanks,
> Bill - W0BBI

Re: [K3] UPS for K3

Jim Low man
Interesting!  I was thinking along the same lines about a UPS for the
shack, but for a different reason.
Aren't today's solid-state radios susceptible to damage from transients,
much like our computers are?

I would not turn on a computer that was not first connected to a quality
UPS with surge protection.
So, maybe not so much for backup, as most UPS are designed to continue
to supply power to the computer and peripherals long enough to effect an
orderly  shutdown.
We don't suffer from protracted power outages here, but rather from sags
in the line voltage.  This is especially true in the summer, when
temperatures reach 100F and higher.

But, what about surge suppression for our shack equipment?  Or is this a
silly question?  Are we more susceptible to damage from lightening than
from dirty power?

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 7/21/2014 5:30 AM, Dennis Griffin wrote:
> Here is a link to the PWRgate that I believe Bruce is referring to. This item is a compact, relatively low cost, well regarded solution that would be appropriate for use in the scheme Bruce has suggested. A yellow or blue top Optima, or other good AGM battery, along with a PWRgate, wouldn't cost too much more than the UPS being considered, but would be much more useful & versatile.
>
> http://ki0bk.no-ip.com/~pwrgate/LLPG/Site/Welcome.html
>
> 73 de Dennis KD7CAC
> Scottsdale, AZ

Re: [K3] UPS for K3

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
I don't think anyone mentioned this, but the inverter part of a UPS is a
switching power supply. Why add to the potential noise cloud around the
station? I have noticed lots of noise pollution from my various computer
UPSs. The solution of floating a battery across the output of the
regular 12v supply seems simpler and quieter to me.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: [K3] UPS for K3

JR-2
Good question, Jim.   I believe you are correct.

You might investigate power conditioning equipment for protection from
both surge and sag and transients, and they appear to provide add some
degree of regulation.   Furhman is a respected power conditioning brand
for gear that is used in recording studios and with rock bands and
doubtless there are others.