K3 and K2 simultaneous on serial to USB cables to computer

K3 and K2 simultaneous on serial to USB cables to computer

KM4VX
I have both my K2 and K3 connected via  serial to USB cables, but I cannot get the computer to recognize the K2.  The K3 is connected via the Elecraft serial to USB cable and works fine. The K2 uses a serial to USB adapter, but the computer refuses to recognize the K2 adapter and insists on going to the K3. I imagine because both are called "serial to USB adapters."  I know this is more of a computer question than a K2/K3 issue and maybe the computer can't recognize two serial to USB connections. Any recommendations for forcing the computer to recognize the K2 or using a different adapter? The cable from IO2 on the K2 is correct. The serial to USB adapter for the K2 may be inferior. Even when I disconnect the K3 serial to USB cable, the computer will still not recognize the K2 connection. Thanks.

Re: K3 and K2 simultaneous on serial to USB cables to computer

Chip Stratton
Ron -

You might consider getting a 4 port USB to Serial adapter. I have my
IC-7000, K2, and W1 wattmeter connected to one and all three are
accessbile, each with its own com port assignment.

The one I purchased is based on the FTDI chipset, like the Elecraft
KUSB adapter, and was abt $44 from Amazon. Search for:
4 Port RS232 FT4232HL Professional USB to Serial Adapter

Chip
AE5KA

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:03 AM, KM4VX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have both my K2 and K3 connected via  serial to USB cables, but I cannot
> get the computer to recognize the K2.  The K3 is connected via the Elecraft
> serial to USB cable and works fine. The K2 uses a serial to USB adapter, but
> the computer refuses to recognize the K2 adapter and insists on going to the
> K3. I imagine because both are called "serial to USB adapters."  I know this
> is more of a computer question than a K2/K3 issue and maybe the computer
> can't recognize two serial to USB connections. Any recommendations for
> forcing the computer to recognize the K2 or using a different adapter? The
> cable from IO2 on the K2 is correct. The serial to USB adapter for the K2
> may be inferior. Even when I disconnect the K3 serial to USB cable, the
> computer will still not recognize the K2 connection. Thanks.

Re: K3 and K2 simultaneous on serial to USB cables to computer

Keith Heimbold
Chip,

Your post was epic. This device is exactly what I was looking for my set up with my K3, RCS-1, the LP Panadapter and my soon to be installed SteppIR controller. I ordered it from Amazon two minutes after I read your post.

The Elecraft reflector rules!

Thanks,

Keith
AG6AZ

Re: K3 and K2 simultaneous on serial to USB cables tocomputer

Poul Erik Karlshøj (PKA)
In the KPA100 Manual there is a warning not to use standard RS-232 cables between the K2 SIO and a PC (only pins 2, 3 and 5 are normally connected)
Would it not be a similar problem using a serial to USB adapter?
Poul-Erik
OZ4UN
You might consider getting a 4 port USB to Serial adapter. I have my IC-7000, K2, and W1 wattmeter connected to one and all three are accessbile, each with its own com port assignment.

The one I purchased is based on the FTDI chipset, like the Elecraft KUSB adapter, and was abt $44 from Amazon. Search for:
4 Port RS232 FT4232HL Professional USB to Serial Adapter

Chip
AE5KA

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:03 AM, KM4VX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have both my K2 and K3 connected via  serial to USB cables, but I
> cannot get the computer to recognize the K2.  The K3 is connected via
> the Elecraft serial to USB cable and works fine. The K2 uses a serial
> to USB adapter, but the computer refuses to recognize the K2 adapter
> and insists on going to the K3. I imagine because both are called
> "serial to USB adapters."  I know this is more of a computer question
> than a K2/K3 issue and maybe the computer can't recognize two serial
> to USB connections. Any recommendations for forcing the computer to
> recognize the K2 or using a different adapter? The cable from IO2 on
> the K2 is correct. The serial to USB adapter for the K2 may be
> inferior. Even when I disconnect the K3 serial to USB cable, the computer will still not recognize the K2 connection. Thanks.

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: K3 and K2 simultaneous on serial to USB cables to computer

Bob Nielsen-2
You will need to make a jumper cable between the K2 and your serial-to-USB cable.  See Figure 7 on Page 13 of the KIO2 manual for the connections.

Bob, N7XY

On Feb 10, 2012, at 6:03 AM, KM4VX wrote:

> I have both my K2 and K3 connected via  serial to USB cables, but I cannot
> get the computer to recognize the K2.  The K3 is connected via the Elecraft
> serial to USB cable and works fine. The K2 uses a serial to USB adapter, but
> the computer refuses to recognize the K2 adapter and insists on going to the
> K3. I imagine because both are called "serial to USB adapters."  I know this
> is more of a computer question than a K2/K3 issue and maybe the computer
> can't recognize two serial to USB connections. Any recommendations for
> forcing the computer to recognize the K2 or using a different adapter? The
> cable from IO2 on the K2 is correct. The serial to USB adapter for the K2
> may be inferior. Even when I disconnect the K3 serial to USB cable, the
> computer will still not recognize the K2 connection. Thanks.

Re: K3 and K2 simultaneous on serial to USB cables to computer

Chip Stratton
Yes, and I'm using an appropriately wired serial jumper between the K2
and the USB to serial adapter.

I also have not tried any PTT/CW keying with this adapter, so can't
comment on that.

Chip
AE5KA

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions on and off-line. Given all the problems with Serial to USB adapters I am going to install  serial PCI cards in my PC and then connect the correctly wired cable from the K2 (I understand it is not a true RS232 port on the K2)  to a new serial port on the PC. I may do the same with my K3 rather than use the Elecradft Serial to USB cable, which actually works well. 73. Ron

Re: K3 and K2 simultaneous on serial to USB cables to computer

KM4VX
I installed a Manhattan dual port serial PCI card in my W7 64 bit PC built by local guys still too young to shave. Both the K2 (with a modified cable) and the K3 (direct 232 cable)) working great into the serial ports. Given the problem with USB adapters sometimes working, then failing etc this was the way to go for me.  73. Ron