K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

ARRL - N6MQL
Wayne,

2 things... First I mentioned to David S in the service department that the K3 is no longer transmitting more than 94 watts out on 17 meters regardless of the SWR/ impedance. David said that this was a known issue due to software and that it was being worked on. However I haven't seen anything about this issue so I'm wondering if this is true and if so has there been any updates to fix it.
Secondly, I'm noticing that my KXPA100 can not produce more that 80 watts on most bands and 60 on others when I don't supply it with as much as 15v DC on a 30 amp supply. This after I did the KX3 / KPXA calibration procedure. Why is it that a "mobile" amp that would normally be powered with 12v DC from a car battery not be able to provide the power output that it is sold as (100 watts)?. Has there been some kind of revisions to the first run boards that I should be exchanging them with?

Thank you for your answers  73

Mike
N6MQL

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Ken G Kopp
Mike,

A normal "12V" battery in a vehicle is almost never at 12V.  About 14.4
when the engine is running, and about 13.8 after when not under charge.  A
battery measuring "12V" is suspect.

Read the specified input voltage AT THE POWER INPUT connector ... I'll
wager it's lower than what's called for in the manual.

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

David Orman
Another question - how long/what gauge is the wire running to your KXPA100?
I wouldn't expect enough drop to pull your voltage down to a point at which
it cuts back power, but you never know. Check your KX3 for the source
voltage when transmitting, that'll tell you if you're dropping below the
threshold for power reduction. For example, 16 gauge copper will drop about
1.2 volts on a 10 foot run @ 15A current draw.

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 9:58 PM, N6MQL <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> 2 things... First I mentioned to David S in the service department that
> the K3 is no longer transmitting more than 94 watts out on 17 meters
> regardless of the SWR/ impedance. David said that this was a known issue
> due to software and that it was being worked on. However I haven't seen
> anything about this issue so I'm wondering if this is true and if so has
> there been any updates to fix it.
> Secondly, I'm noticing that my KXPA100 can not produce more that 80 watts
> on most bands and 60 on others when I don't supply it with as much as 15v
> DC on a 30 amp supply. This after I did the KX3 / KPXA calibration
> procedure. Why is it that a "mobile" amp that would normally be powered
> with 12v DC from a car battery not be able to provide the power output that
> it is sold as (100 watts)?. Has there been some kind of revisions to the
> first run boards that I should be exchanging them with?
>
> Thank you for your answers  73
>
> Mike
> N6MQL

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Nr4c
Or just use the Voltage reading displayed on the K3/KX3 front panel. It's quite accurate.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On May 22, 2016, at 10:52 AM, David Orman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another question - how long/what gauge is the wire running to your KXPA100?
> I wouldn't expect enough drop to pull your voltage down to a point at which
> it cuts back power, but you never know. Check your KX3 for the source
> voltage when transmitting, that'll tell you if you're dropping below the
> threshold for power reduction. For example, 16 gauge copper will drop about
> 1.2 volts on a 10 foot run @ 15A current draw.
>
>> On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 9:58 PM, N6MQL <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Wayne,
>>
>> 2 things... First I mentioned to David S in the service department that
>> the K3 is no longer transmitting more than 94 watts out on 17 meters
>> regardless of the SWR/ impedance. David said that this was a known issue
>> due to software and that it was being worked on. However I haven't seen
>> anything about this issue so I'm wondering if this is true and if so has
>> there been any updates to fix it.
>> Secondly, I'm noticing that my KXPA100 can not produce more that 80 watts
>> on most bands and 60 on others when I don't supply it with as much as 15v
>> DC on a 30 amp supply. This after I did the KX3 / KPXA calibration
>> procedure. Why is it that a "mobile" amp that would normally be powered
>> with 12v DC from a car battery not be able to provide the power output that
>> it is sold as (100 watts)?. Has there been some kind of revisions to the
>> first run boards that I should be exchanging them with?
>>
>> Thank you for your answers  73
>>
>> Mike
>> N6MQL

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Bob N3MNT
I noticed that my KXPA100 output was a little low so I checked the output of my 30A supply.  It was a little low.  I adjusted it up from 13.6V to 14.0 and all is well.

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Arthur Nienhouse
*/My experience with my KXPA-100 that the power output would not ever
get to the advertised 100 watts on 40 meters using the supplied power
cable that came with my kit was worse.

Even after setting the 45 amp power supply to the highest out put it
would do, the radio reported 13.8 volts on receive, on key down it would
drop well below ( on some bands ) to 12 volts.

After replacing the pwr cable with a 10 gauge wire the supply reported
at the radio is 14.5 rx, tx is 13.8 the power output is at 100 watts
most bands 110 on one band and the only band I really care about is 40
where it always has been below the other bands is now at 99 to 100 watts.

I believe that there was a firmware update that made this issue worse as
it was at one time doing around 80 to 85 watts on 40 meters which I was
living with, most other bands 100 to 110 watts,  using the supplied
power cable that came with my kit.

If its sold as a mobile amp then it should be capable of doing the
advertised 100 watts ....at 12 volts.... ......( I know the advertizing
stated at 13.8 volts ) ......to achieve the 100 watts.

To be completely truthful it should be stated what can be expected for
power out at 12 v connected to a car deep cycle battery with the
supplied power cable...mine did 60 watts on 40 meters with the latest
bata firmware.

At the very least a ( quality 10 gauge power cable ) should be supplied
with the amp, and all 100 watt output radios.
I took the advice of this group to purchase Powerwerx Red/Black power
cable  not the cheapest however quality is very good.
With my power supply set to 14.4 volts I get the advertized 100 watts now.

Regards
Art
ka9zap
/*
On 5/21/2016 9:58 PM, N6MQL wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> 2 things... First I mentioned to David S in the service department that the K3 is no longer transmitting more than 94 watts out on 17 meters regardless of the SWR/ impedance. David said that this was a known issue due to software and that it was being worked on. However I haven't seen anything about this issue so I'm wondering if this is true and if so has there been any updates to fix it.
> Secondly, I'm noticing that my KXPA100 can not produce more that 80 watts on most bands and 60 on others when I don't supply it with as much as 15v DC on a 30 amp supply. This after I did the KX3 / KPXA calibration procedure. Why is it that a "mobile" amp that would normally be powered with 12v DC from a car battery not be able to provide the power output that it is sold as (100 watts)?. Has there been some kind of revisions to the first run boards that I should be exchanging them with?
>
> Thank you for your answers  73
>
> Mike
> N6MQL

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Ken G Kopp
Bill,

The front panel voltage display on a KX3 will -not- be accurate
for the voltage at the input- power connector of the KXPA100.
This voltage must be measured AT THE CONNECTOR on the
rear of the KXPA100 to know what's being delivered to the PA.

73!

K0PP

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Nr4c <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or just use the Voltage reading displayed on the K3/KX3 front panel. It's
> quite accurate.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> ...nr4c. bill
>

> > On May 22, 2016, at 10:52 AM, David Orman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Another question - how long/what gauge is the wire running to your
> KXPA100?
> > I wouldn't expect enough drop to pull your voltage down to a point at
> which
> > it cuts back power, but you never know. Check your KX3 for the source
> > voltage when transmitting, that'll tell you if you're dropping below the
> > threshold for power reduction. For example, 16 gauge copper will drop
> about
> > 1.2 volts on a 10 foot run @ 15A current draw.
> >
> >> On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 9:58 PM, N6MQL <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Wayne,
> >>
> >> 2 things... First I mentioned to David S in the service department that
> >> the K3 is no longer transmitting more than 94 watts out on 17 meters
> >> regardless of the SWR/ impedance. David said that this was a known issue
> >> due to software and that it was being worked on. However I haven't seen
> >> anything about this issue so I'm wondering if this is true and if so has
> >> there been any updates to fix it.
> >> Secondly, I'm noticing that my KXPA100 can not produce more that 80
> watts
> >> on most bands and 60 on others when I don't supply it with as much as
> 15v
> >> DC on a 30 amp supply. This after I did the KX3 / KPXA calibration
> >> procedure. Why is it that a "mobile" amp that would normally be powered
> >> with 12v DC from a car battery not be able to provide the power output
> that
> >> it is sold as (100 watts)?. Has there been some kind of revisions to the
> >> first run boards that I should be exchanging them with?
> >>
> >> Thank you for your answers  73
> >>
> >> Mike
> >> N6MQL
> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

N6MQL
Although I appreciate all of your answers I specifically asked these
questions of Wayne because I was making a point to let him know of my
disapproval of the fact that the KXPA100 amp is incapable of running a
full 100 watts on a standard 12v battery. Furthermore I was trying to
get an explanation from the head designer as to why my amp that has a
30amp power supply at 15v (read on the KX3) or 15.4v at the input is
unable to transmit at a full 100 watts on all bands.  Yes, I have the
supplied cable with fuses attached, it's only 3 feet long, and the
transmit vs' receive voltage is less than a volt difference.  So all of
those bases have been covered. As noted I have also completed the KX3
power configuration, and the KX3 to KPA matching alignment procedure...
I was alluded to the idea that there were a second revision of boards
that came out for the KXPA100 after the early models were shipped.  I
have also heard that those boards help increase the output power.
Therefore I was asking WAYNE if this were the case, and perhaps having
them would help this situation. As for the 12v not running the amp, this
IS an issue because at field day we have 150 Ah batteries that run 12
volts, and it would be nice to have my 100 watt amp run a full 100
watts. Again, this was designed as a portable amp. I would expect that
at 12v we should be able to get the full rating out of it.

On another note, what may have also gotten lost due to all those trying
to be helpful, but cluttering my original post.  I have a K3 that no
longer puts out 100 watts on 17 meters but does on all other bands.  I
was told this was a software issue by Tech Support.  I would like
confirmation FROM WAYNE that this is the case, and when he may have time
to address it. If not, I would like to know why I was told this.

So again, as much as I appreciate all of you trying to help with these
questions, I would much prefer that Wayne address them personally.
Thank you,

--
Michael
N6MQL

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Kevin Stover
You do know what's going on this weekend right?
I'm sure once he is back from Dayton he will give your questions all of
they attention they deserve.
What sort of watt meter are we measuring the output with?

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

---

On Sun,5/22/2016 11:46 AM, N6MQL wrote:
> Although I appreciate all of your answers I specifically asked these
> questions of Wayne because I was making a point to let him know of my
> disapproval of the fact that the KXPA100 amp is incapable of running a
> full 100 watts on a standard 12v battery.

Michael,

A careful reading of the online data sheet for the KXPA100 is
instructive here.

http://www.elecraft.com/KXPA100/kxpa100.htm

The first line says "100 watts at 13.8 V, 1.8 to 29.7 MHz and 80 watts
50-54 MHz PEP CW/SSB/DATA; ± 1 dB"

Two points: First, the amplifier is rated for 13.8V, NOT 12V. Second,
the rating is +/1 dB, which is +/- 20% power. Thus, 80W on the HF bands
is within spec for 13.8V at the amplifier terminals.

The second line says "13.8 VDC powered; 20 A typical current drain (11 V
with lower output. 15 V max)"

This clearly means that the unit is designed and rated for 13.8VDC, can
be operated from 11V to 15VDC, and will have reduced output at lower
supply voltages.

Obviously, Ohm's Law dictates that resistance of the DC supply
conductors will reduce power supply voltage at the amplifier terminals,
so while we may have 12V or 13.8V at our battery terminals, the voltage
at the end of 6-12 ft of cable will be a bit lower with a 20A load. For
example, the drop in 6 ft of #10 is 0.24v; for #12, it's 0.38V, and for
#14, it's 0.6V.

As others have noted, the operating voltage in so-called 12V DC power
systems using lead-acid batteries is not 12V, but rather 13.8V. If you
buy an AC power supply for ham gear, it will likely leave the factory
with its voltage regulator set for 13.8V. Open the manual or the spec
sheet for nearly all ham gear and you will find the supply voltage
specified as 13.8VDC.

PTT KEY CONFIG setting volatile?

Ken Arck

I notice the PTT KEY selection under CONFIG doesn't appear to be
non-volatile as when the radio is power cycled, it always reverts to
OFF - OFF.  I'd like it to stay set to DTR -- RTS but it doesn't

Even if I leave 13.8 to the radio, turning it OFF and back ON and
that setting reverts.

Ken
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Mike Rhodes

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Kevin Stover
Further down in the same online spec page it states "Compact unit ideal
for both desktop and mobile use". Note *mobile* use where the electrical
system supplies more than 13.8V with the engine running.
I find no mention of the KXPA100 being developed as a "portable" amp. I
have done searches of all Elecraft docs concerning the KXPA100 and find
NO mention of the word *portable* anywhere. Nor do I find any mention of
some nefarious board swap early in the products life.

Maybe the OP assumed because it has a carry strap that it is a portable
amp. Well...My TS520 has a carry strap and a DC-DC converter. No way
that can be classified as portable, it weighs 37lbs.

To be fair I have run it at field day but we had a 10KW diesel powered
generator on a trailer. Power was NOT and issue.

On 5/22/2016 4:46 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> Michael,
>
> A careful reading of the online data sheet for the KXPA100 is
> instructive here.
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/KXPA100/kxpa100.htm
>
> The first line says "100 watts at 13.8 V, 1.8 to 29.7 MHz and 80 watts
> 50-54 MHz PEP CW/SSB/DATA; ± 1 dB"
>
> Two points: First, the amplifier is rated for 13.8V, NOT 12V. Second,
> the rating is +/1 dB, which is +/- 20% power. Thus, 80W on the HF
> bands is within spec for 13.8V at the amplifier terminals.
>
> The second line says "13.8 VDC powered; 20 A typical current drain (11
> V with lower output. 15 V max)"
>
> This clearly means that the unit is designed and rated for 13.8VDC,
> can be operated from 11V to 15VDC, and will have reduced output at
> lower supply voltages.
>
> Obviously, Ohm's Law dictates that resistance of the DC supply
> conductors will reduce power supply voltage at the amplifier
> terminals, so while we may have 12V or 13.8V at our battery terminals,
> the voltage at the end of 6-12 ft of cable will be a bit lower with a
> 20A load. For example, the drop in 6 ft of #10 is 0.24v; for #12, it's
> 0.38V, and for #14, it's 0.6V.
>
> As others have noted, the operating voltage in so-called 12V DC power
> systems using lead-acid batteries is not 12V, but rather 13.8V. If you
> buy an AC power supply for ham gear, it will likely leave the factory
> with its voltage regulator set for 13.8V. Open the manual or the spec
> sheet for nearly all ham gear and you will find the supply voltage
> specified as 13.8VDC.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H
ARRL
FISTS #11993
SKCC #215
NAQCC #3441

---

K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Elecraft mailing list
Hello Gentleman,
I met both Wayne and Eric in the past, they are thick skin and like questions right in front of their faces.  Some questions for them to address will give them more desire to do better.  In return, we are benefited.
Actually, I don't mind having a KXPA100 delivering 100W under 12V power supply.  Just leave Wayne free hands to Wayne to answer and I trust he is in a better position to do so.
73
Johnny VR2XMC

      寄件人︰ Kevin Stover <[hidden email]>
 收件人︰ [hidden email]
 傳送日期︰ 2016年05月23日 (週一) 8:20 AM
 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

Further down in the same online spec page it states "Compact unit ideal
for both desktop and mobile use". Note *mobile* use where the electrical
system supplies more than 13.8V with the engine running.
I find no mention of the KXPA100 being developed as a "portable" amp. I
have done searches of all Elecraft docs concerning the KXPA100 and find
NO mention of the word *portable* anywhere. Nor do I find any mention of
some nefarious board swap early in the products life.

Maybe the OP assumed because it has a carry strap that it is a portable
amp. Well...My TS520 has a carry strap and a DC-DC converter. No way
that can be classified as portable, it weighs 37lbs.

To be fair I have run it at field day but we had a 10KW diesel powered
generator on a trailer. Power was NOT and issue.

On 5/22/2016 4:46 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> Michael,
>
> A careful reading of the online data sheet for the KXPA100 is
> instructive here.
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/KXPA100/kxpa100.htm
>
> The first line says "100 watts at 13.8 V, 1.8 to 29.7 MHz and 80 watts
> 50-54 MHz PEP CW/SSB/DATA; ± 1 dB"
>
> Two points: First, the amplifier is rated for 13.8V, NOT 12V. Second,
> the rating is +/1 dB, which is +/- 20% power. Thus, 80W on the HF
> bands is within spec for 13.8V at the amplifier terminals.
>
> The second line says "13.8 VDC powered; 20 A typical current drain (11
> V with lower output. 15 V max)"
>
> This clearly means that the unit is designed and rated for 13.8VDC,
> can be operated from 11V to 15VDC, and will have reduced output at
> lower supply voltages.
>
> Obviously, Ohm's Law dictates that resistance of the DC supply
> conductors will reduce power supply voltage at the amplifier
> terminals, so while we may have 12V or 13.8V at our battery terminals,
> the voltage at the end of 6-12 ft of cable will be a bit lower with a
> 20A load. For example, the drop in 6 ft of #10 is 0.24v; for #12, it's
> 0.38V, and for #14, it's 0.6V.
>
> As others have noted, the operating voltage in so-called 12V DC power
> systems using lead-acid batteries is not 12V, but rather 13.8V. If you
> buy an AC power supply for ham gear, it will likely leave the factory
> with its voltage regulator set for 13.8V. Open the manual or the spec
> sheet for nearly all ham gear and you will find the supply voltage
> specified as 13.8VDC.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

David Orman
While I appreciate the motivation behind your request, you should have
asked Wayne directly, and not via an email list sent to hundreds
(thousands?) of users. If you did not want community replies, you should
not have sent an email to a community mailing list.

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 1:46 PM, N6MQL <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Although I appreciate all of your answers I specifically asked these
> questions of Wayne because I was making a point to let him know of my
> disapproval of the fact that the KXPA100 amp is incapable of running a full
> 100 watts on a standard 12v battery. Furthermore I was trying to get an
> explanation from the head designer as to why my amp that has a 30amp power
> supply at 15v (read on the KX3) or 15.4v at the input is unable to transmit
> at a full 100 watts on all bands.  Yes, I have the supplied cable with
> fuses attached, it's only 3 feet long, and the transmit vs' receive voltage
> is less than a volt difference.  So all of those bases have been covered.
> As noted I have also completed the KX3 power configuration, and the KX3 to
> KPA matching alignment procedure...
> I was alluded to the idea that there were a second revision of boards that
> came out for the KXPA100 after the early models were shipped.  I have also
> heard that those boards help increase the output power. Therefore I was
> asking WAYNE if this were the case, and perhaps having them would help this
> situation. As for the 12v not running the amp, this IS an issue because at
> field day we have 150 Ah batteries that run 12 volts, and it would be nice
> to have my 100 watt amp run a full 100 watts. Again, this was designed as a
> portable amp. I would expect that at 12v we should be able to get the full
> rating out of it.
>
> On another note, what may have also gotten lost due to all those trying to
> be helpful, but cluttering my original post.  I have a K3 that no longer
> puts out 100 watts on 17 meters but does on all other bands.  I was told
> this was a software issue by Tech Support.  I would like confirmation FROM
> WAYNE that this is the case, and when he may have time to address it. If
> not, I would like to know why I was told this.
>
> So again, as much as I appreciate all of you trying to help with these
> questions, I would much prefer that Wayne address them personally.  Thank
> you,
>
> --
> Michael
>
> N6MQL

Re: K3 and KX3 questions for Wayne

>>> I don't mind having a KXPA100 delivering 100W under 12V power supply. <<<
Simple fix!    Apply ohms Law.

(((73))) Milverton / W9MM.

> [...]

> can be operated from 11V to 15VDC, and will have reduced output at
> lower supply voltages.
>
> Obviously, Ohm's Law dictates that resistance of the DC supply
> conductors will reduce power supply voltage at the amplifier
> terminals, so while we may have 12V or 13.8V at our battery terminals,
> the voltage at the end of 6-12 ft of cable will be a bit lower with a
> 20A load. For example, the drop in 6 ft of #10 is 0.24v; for #12, it's
> 0.38V, and for #14, it's 0.6V.
>
> As others have noted, the operating voltage in so-called 12V DC power
> systems using lead-acid batteries is not 12V, but rather 13.8V. If you
> buy an AC power supply for ham gear, it will likely leave the factory
> with its voltage regulator set for 13.8V. Open the manual or the spec
> sheet for nearly all ham gear and you will find the supply voltage

Re: PTT KEY CONFIG setting volatile?

Cady, Fred-2
That doesn't sound right.  I don't think mine has ever changed.
Cheers,
Fred KE7X

Re: PTT KEY CONFIG setting volatile?

Ken Arck
Sounds like a call to Elecraft tomorrow because this is repeatable!

At 07:42 PM 5/22/2016, Cady, Fred wrote:

>That doesn't sound right.  I don't think mine has ever changed.
>Cheers,
>Fred KE7X

Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
Which radio is it? I've never seen this on my K3.
If you are running some kind of rig control software, try it with the
software not running.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

On 23 May 2016 05:51, Ken Arck wrote:

> Sounds like a call to Elecraft tomorrow because this is repeatable!
>

> At 07:42 PM 5/22/2016, Cady, Fred wrote:
>> That doesn't sound right.  I don't think mine has ever changed.
>> Cheers,
>> Fred KE7X

G3XVR
I have this on my K3S with the latest firmware. I use WSJT to key the K3S via the USB port and I operate in USB mode, not Data.  Every time I power the K3S OFF I need to reset the PTT Key config to DTR – OFF.

Danny, G3XVR