K3 and Mutek Transverter combo?

PETER HUTCHISON
Hi,

Bit of a long shot this but has anyone any experience of using a K3 with a Mutek transverter? I run the K3 (#7218) with the internal transverter but during a 2m contest yesterday the front end capability of the internal transverter was found wanting when exposed to strong adjacent signals. I already have a Mutek transverter but it was bought (cheaply) as untested and therefore I do not know if it is working. The strong signal capabilities of these transverters were legendary in their day. Therefore, I was hoping that someone on this site has successfully mated the 2 boxes together. Basically what I want to know is at the rear of the transverter there are 2 BNC sockets marked 'rx out' and 'tx/rx'. To what sockets on the I/O board to I need to connect these? And secondly, what do I need to ensure that the K£ is suitably programmed to communicate with the transverter (the instructions seem to be unclear to me...).
Any help would be appreciated. If the Mutek transverter is no good anyone got a decent Demi or completed Elecraft 2m transverter they wish to sell??!!

Many thanks for reading this plea. Any replies will be gratefully received (which is more than I can say for the internal transverter performance  yesterday!!)

Peter G4URT

Re: K3 and Mutek Transverter combo?

gm3sek

That very topic is being discussed today, at:

73 from Ian GM3SEK

Vic Goncharsky

________________________________

Hi Pete,
I am not aware of the external Mutek transverter performance, but last September used my K3 with Kuhne TR 144H+40 in IARU R1 VHF championship at the UR7D VHF superstation.

Re: K3 and Mutek Transverter combo?

John Lemay
Peter

I have the internal 2m transverter for the K3, and the facility to use an
external one instead - so, yes, it can be done.

Here's my settings from the CONFIG menu:

XV1 ON = yes
XV1 RF = 144
XV1 IF = 28
XV1 PWR = L1.50
XV1 OFS = -0.61
XV1 ADR = Int Trn0

XV2 ON = yes
XV2 RF = 144
XV2 IF = 28
XV2 PWR = L1.50
XV2 OFS = 0
XV2 ADR = Trn1

Some of these settings will be unique (such as offset) but most will be
appropriate. The effect of these settings is that cycling up through the
bands from 50MHz gives me first the internal transverter (XVTR1 is displayed
briefly in the VFO B area) and then the external transverter ( when XVTR2 is
briefly displayed).

You can't quite do A/B comparisons with this unless you arrange relay
switching of your 2m antenna at the same time as switching internal to
external transverter.

Hope this helps

John G4ZTR
www.g4ztr.co.uk

Re: K3 and Mutek Transverter combo?

I can't comment on the transverter for the K3, but I did hear a few
pretty dirty signals on 6M from guys I heard running what I suspect were
vintage rigs.  One was a LID operating as a rover who set up on 50.125
(calling frequencies are off-limits during contests and when the band is
open) a few miles from me. In addition to being quite broad (both
listening and looking at the P3), he also had a big image around 50.155,
which I had to use LSB to tune in.

73, Jim K9YC

>> Bit of a long shot this but has anyone any experience of using a K3 with a>Mutek transverter? I run the K3 (#7218) with the internal transverter butduring a 2m contest yesterday the front end capability of the internaltransverter was found wanting when exposed to strong adjacent signals.

Dirty signals was: K3 and Mutek Transverter combo?

Raymond Sills
This past weekend during the VHF contest, I heard several signals from
CW operators that were -far- from T9 in quality.  I suspect that they
were using computer generated CW.. i.e. keyed tones generated by
software, and using a digital interface to send them.   Problem was,
to my ear, there was a lot of "buzz" modulating the CW tone.  It could
have been due to RFI, or just bad audio connections, permitting a
pickup of AC fields from the nearby gear.  I'm sure they would have
benefited from reading Jim's treatise on RFI.

My gear was running from battery DC, so I know it was nothing from my
end.  And, there were signals that were clean.  There were quite a few
CW stations operating, at least on six meters in this neck of the
woods... EPA.

Anyway, I had fun operating during the contest.

73 de Ray
K2ULR