K3 and QSK

Chester Alderman
Hi Vic,

With interest, I read your emails about the K3 QSK and the noise it produced
and I have a question for you. I've had my K3 for about three years and I
purchased it with a full complement of CW filters for both receivers,
including the 8-pole 250 hz filter. I normally run my radios in full QSK,
but of course, depending on sending speed, running the K3 in full QSK means
you lose too many other good features.

I never really noticed the noise generated while in full QSK until recently,
and it is quite bad! About a year ago I changed my 8-pole 250 hz filter to
the 5 pole 250 hz filter and actually I think that is when I started
noticing how bad the pumping and generated noise from my K3 sounded. Of
course I run AGC-Fast, with no preamp (unless on 10m and then only seldom
have the preamp turned on).

My question to you is do you have the 250 hz filter installed in the main Rx
and if so, is it the 8-pole or the 5-pole? I think right after Christmas I
am going to re-install my 8-pole filter just to see if that has any bearing
on the awful QSK noise.

Also, have you had any response from Elecraft on this issue?

Thanks for any comment Vic and 73,

Tom - W4BQF

Re: K3 and QSK

Vic Rosenthal
Tommy,

I have 8 pole filters for 400, 1000 and 2800 Hz. I am almost always using the 400 on CW. I use QRQ mode whenever possible. I found various sources of clicks including bias switching in my amplifier, and a switched power source for my Pixel Loop. I removed everything to isolate the problem. All tests were done in TX TEST mode, no RF generated.

The most bothersome K3 generated noise is a click when returning to receive state. You hear it in full or semi- QSK mode when returning to receive. The amplitude of this click depends on the amount of noise or signals in the 'channel'. When listening to rx noise with no antenna, there's no click. The worst case is a big pileup. There is also a noise that is hard to describe, sort of a fuzziness around the sidetone. That also depends on the amount of signal and noise in the background.

Turning down either the audio or RF gain helps with both artifacts, but makes the output lower than desirable.

I talked to Wayne and Lyle a long time ago about possible ways to ameliorate these noises and they had some ideas, but I haven't heard anything recently.

Vic 4X6GP/K2VCO

> On Dec 4, 2014, at 3:22 PM, Chester Alderman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vic,
>
> With interest, I read your emails about the K3 QSK and the noise it produced and I have a question for you. I’ve had my K3 for about three years and I purchased it with a full complement of CW filters for both receivers, including the 8-pole 250 hz filter. I normally run my radios in full QSK, but of course, depending on sending speed, running the K3 in full QSK means you lose too many other good features.
>

> I never really noticed the noise generated while in full QSK until recently, and it is quite bad! About a year ago I changed my 8-pole 250 hz filter to the 5 pole 250 hz filter and actually I think that is when I started noticing how bad the pumping and generated noise from my K3 sounded. Of course I run AGC-Fast, with no preamp (unless on 10m and then only seldom have the preamp turned on).
>

> My question to you is do you have the 250 hz filter installed in the main Rx and if so, is it the 8-pole or the 5-pole? I think right after Christmas I am going to re-install my 8-pole filter just to see if that has any bearing on the awful QSK noise.
>
> Also, have you had any response from Elecraft on this issue?
>

> Thanks for any comment Vic and 73,
>
> Tom – W4BQF

Re: K3 and QSK

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> The amplitude of this click depends on the amount of noise or signals
> in the 'channel'. When listening to rx noise with no antenna, there's
> no click. The worst case is a big pileup.

It would appear that the K3 is momentarily running at full gain when
returning from transmit, the "click" being full gain until the AGC can
react to signal levels 'in the channel'.   That supposition can only be
confirmed by Lyle or Wayne but you might be able to moderate the click
by turning off AGC and riding the RF gain.

On 2014-12-04 9:05 AM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> Tommy,
>
> I have 8 pole filters for 400, 1000 and 2800 Hz. I am almost always using the 400 on CW. I use QRQ mode whenever possible. I found various sources of clicks including bias switching in my amplifier, and a switched power source for my Pixel Loop. I removed everything to isolate the problem. All tests were done in TX TEST mode, no RF generated.
>
> The most bothersome K3 generated noise is a click when returning to receive state. You hear it in full or semi- QSK mode when returning to receive. The amplitude of this click depends on the amount of noise or signals in the 'channel'. When listening to rx noise with no antenna, there's no click. The worst case is a big pileup. There is also a noise that is hard to describe, sort of a fuzziness around the sidetone. That also depends on the amount of signal and noise in the background.
>
> Turning down either the audio or RF gain helps with both artifacts, but makes the output lower than desirable.
>
> I talked to Wayne and Lyle a long time ago about possible ways to ameliorate these noises and they had some ideas, but I haven't heard anything recently.
>
> Vic 4X6GP/K2VCO
>
>> On Dec 4, 2014, at 3:22 PM, Chester Alderman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vic,
>>
>> With interest, I read your emails about the K3 QSK and the noise it produced and I have a question for you. I’ve had my K3 for about three years and I purchased it with a full complement of CW filters for both receivers, including the 8-pole 250 hz filter. I normally run my radios in full QSK, but of course, depending on sending speed, running the K3 in full QSK means you lose too many other good features.
>>

>> I never really noticed the noise generated while in full QSK until recently, and it is quite bad! About a year ago I changed my 8-pole 250 hz filter to the 5 pole 250 hz filter and actually I think that is when I started noticing how bad the pumping and generated noise from my K3 sounded. Of course I run AGC-Fast, with no preamp (unless on 10m and then only seldom have the preamp turned on).
>>

>> My question to you is do you have the 250 hz filter installed in the main Rx and if so, is it the 8-pole or the 5-pole? I think right after Christmas I am going to re-install my 8-pole filter just to see if that has any bearing on the awful QSK noise.
>>
>> Also, have you had any response from Elecraft on this issue?
>>

>> Thanks for any comment Vic and 73,
>>
>> Tom – W4BQF

Re: K3 and QSK

KK5IB
Experiencing the same thing with K3 #7167. Didn't know I had a problem as I usually run my speaker out through an MFJ-784B digital filter because older radios needed help, and the external filter cleans the artifacts nicely. My K2 sounds better than my K3.  I sold an Yaesu FT-2000 partly because they never fixed their QSK artifacts. Is there any settings that help minimize this problem?
Darryl, KK5IB

Re: K3 and QSK

Vic Rosenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Turning down either the audio or RF gain helps with both artifacts, but makes the output lower than desirable.
>
> I talked to Wayne and Lyle a long time ago about possible ways to ameliorate these noises and they had some ideas, but I haven't heard anything recently.

We have some new ideas :)  I'm sure this can be significantly improved in firmware.

Re: K3 and QSK

Mike K2MK
Hi Wayne,

That would be great. I'm new to QSK and the various noises are distracting.

This past weekend in the CQ WW what I sometimes heard on 10 and 15 meters was my own signal delayed. I assume that was a globe circling echo. I don't suppose there would be a firmware solution for that situation.

73,
Mike K2MK

wayne burdick wrote
Vic Rosenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Turning down either the audio or RF gain helps with both artifacts, but makes the output lower than desirable.
>
> I talked to Wayne and Lyle a long time ago about possible ways to ameliorate these noises and they had some ideas, but I haven't heard anything recently.

We have some new ideas :)  I'm sure this can be significantly improved in firmware.

Re: K3 and QSK

Jim Allen
Did you QSL yourself?  If you do that from 100 or more different countries
you can qualify for the WAY (Worked All Yourself) certificate.

Certain factions are laying the groundwork for that award in anticipation
of the inexorable rise in remote operations looming.  It is inspired by a
certain prominent W6 working a prominent W2 from each other's home station
from their iPhones while sitting across from each other and a pitcher of
beer, at Dayton.  This plays havoc with our traditional rules, etc. so a
new approach is necessary.

Work Yourself from 100 different locations!  It will be the new DXCC except
you don't have to battle pile ups, no "green stamps" and no risk of Not In
Log!

I understand some HQ types, a group of malcontents and old fuddy-duddies,
are wearing buttons opposing the move: "NoWAY!"

You heard it here first!

73 de W6OGC  Jim Allen

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Mike K2MK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This past weekend in the CQ WW what I sometimes heard on 10 and 15 meters
> was my own signal delayed. I assume that was a globe circling echo.

Re: K3 and QSK

'DGB'
That is great to hear Wayne! Keep up the good work and thanks for such a
great product/support!

de ns9i

On 12/4/2014 9:42 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Vic Rosenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Turning down either the audio or RF gain helps with both artifacts, but makes the output lower than desirable.
>>
>> I talked to Wayne and Lyle a long time ago about possible ways to ameliorate these noises and they had some ideas, but I haven't heard anything recently.
>
> We have some new ideas :)  I'm sure this can be significantly improved in firmware.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: K3 and QSK

Chester Alderman
Joe,

I think you are exactly correct! It does happen with 'key up' or between words and it seems to last for only a few seconds at the most. But it is very objectionable to listen to for many hours during contest.

Thanks for your observation and input!

73,
Tom - W4BQF

On 2014-12-04 9:05 AM, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> Tommy,
>
> I have 8 pole filters for 400, 1000 and 2800 Hz. I am almost always using the 400 on CW. I use QRQ mode whenever possible. I found various sources of clicks including bias switching in my amplifier, and a switched power source for my Pixel Loop. I removed everything to isolate the problem. All tests were done in TX TEST mode, no RF generated.
>
> The most bothersome K3 generated noise is a click when returning to receive state. You hear it in full or semi- QSK mode when returning to receive. The amplitude of this click depends on the amount of noise or signals in the 'channel'. When listening to rx noise with no antenna, there's no click. The worst case is a big pileup. There is also a noise that is hard to describe, sort of a fuzziness around the sidetone. That also depends on the amount of signal and noise in the background.
>
> Turning down either the audio or RF gain helps with both artifacts, but makes the output lower than desirable.
>
> I talked to Wayne and Lyle a long time ago about possible ways to ameliorate these noises and they had some ideas, but I haven't heard anything recently.
>
> Vic 4X6GP/K2VCO
>
>> On Dec 4, 2014, at 3:22 PM, Chester Alderman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vic,
>>
>> With interest, I read your emails about the K3 QSK and the noise it produced and I have a question for you. I’ve had my K3 for about three years and I purchased it with a full complement of CW filters for both receivers, including the 8-pole 250 hz filter. I normally run my radios in full QSK, but of course, depending on sending speed, running the K3 in full QSK means you lose too many other good features.
>>

>> I never really noticed the noise generated while in full QSK until recently, and it is quite bad! About a year ago I changed my 8-pole 250 hz filter to the 5 pole 250 hz filter and actually I think that is when I started noticing how bad the pumping and generated noise from my K3 sounded. Of course I run AGC-Fast, with no preamp (unless on 10m and then only seldom have the preamp turned on).
>>

>> My question to you is do you have the 250 hz filter installed in the main Rx and if so, is it the 8-pole or the 5-pole? I think right after Christmas I am going to re-install my 8-pole filter just to see if that has any bearing on the awful QSK noise.
>>
>> Also, have you had any response from Elecraft on this issue?
>>

>> Thanks for any comment Vic and 73,
>>
>> Tom – W4BQF

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 and QSK

Vic Rosenthal
No, AGC on/off has no effect.

On 4 Dec 2014 17:00, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> [...]
>>> run my radios in full QSK, but of course, depending on sending speed,
>>> running the K3 in full QSK means you lose too many other good features.
>>>

>>> I never really noticed the noise generated while in full QSK until
>>> recently, and it is quite bad! About a year ago I changed my 8-pole
>>> 250 hz filter to the 5 pole 250 hz filter and actually I think that
>>> is when I started noticing how bad the pumping and generated noise
>>> from my K3 sounded. Of course I run AGC-Fast, with no preamp (unless
>>> on 10m and then only seldom have the preamp turned on).
>>>

>>> My question to you is do you have the 250 hz filter installed in the
>>> main Rx and if so, is it the 8-pole or the 5-pole? I think right
>>> after Christmas I am going to re-install my 8-pole filter just to see
>>> if that has any bearing on the awful QSK noise.
>>>
>>> Also, have you had any response from Elecraft on this issue?

Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: K3 and QSK

Guy Olinger K2AV
One of the pieces of advice for operating the K3, is to use the minimum
amount of gain in the RF/IF string. This is done by setting ATT/PRE/RF gain
so that there is only a moderate amount of band noise with no signal, then
setting audio for a comfortable level on signals with AGC engagement. This
keeps from having the radio "roar" in your ears all the time, particularly
with fast AGC.

If ATT/PRE/RF gain are always running wide open, the QSK noise is
predominately from starting RX state with this unnecessary gain level. For
example listening on my 160 transmit antenna I always run with ATT in line,
and RF gain backed off just a little.

Also, with the deliberate short transition times for CW QRQ, one must
understand that one is modulating the "channel" content with a square wave.
From the physics, some degree of click MUST be generated if the "channel"
has loud content because the RF/IF string is operating wide open with
signal content and modulated with a on-off transition deliberately set by
the operator.

If a delay is introduced to whack off the click, you have just defeated the
desired extremely short transition of CW QRQ.

Which one do you want, modulation of channel content with extremely short
transition which allows you to hear anything between fast bauds, or a
"rounded off" transition that doesn't hear stuff at the transition edge,
but doesn't have any "sharp" sounds.

Me, I do NOT want the "rounded off" transitions, because I want to hear as
much as possible in the interbaud time, and don't care if it makes the
stuff sound "harsh". I find the harshness greatly minimized by not running
ATT/PRE/RF gain wide open all the time, and using fast AGC with CONFIG: AGC
- F  = 200.

One firmware thing that could help to some degree (if it isn't already done
this way) is to start the AGC in the new interbaud space with a value held
over from the prior interbaud space.

I definitely don't have the CW QRQ problems that others seem to be
describing.

73, Guy.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> full QSK, but of course, depending on sending speed, running the K3 in full
>>> QSK means you lose too many other good features.
>>>

>>> I never really noticed the noise generated while in full QSK until
>>> recently, and it is quite bad! About a year ago I changed my 8-pole 250 hz
>>> filter to the 5 pole 250 hz filter and actually I think that is when I
>>> started noticing how bad the pumping and generated noise from my K3
>>> sounded. Of course I run AGC-Fast, with no preamp (unless on 10m and then
>>> only seldom have the preamp turned on).
>>>

>>> My question to you is do you have the 250 hz filter installed in the
>>> main Rx and if so, is it the 8-pole or the 5-pole? I think right after
>>> Christmas I am going to re-install my 8-pole filter just to see if that has
>>> any bearing on the awful QSK noise.
>>>
>>> Also, have you had any response from Elecraft on this issue?

Re: K3 and QSK

k6dgw
Nor do I.  ATT=ON/PRE=OFF on 160, 80, and 40 unless 40 is unusually
quiet.  Then I might set ATT=OFF [not common], ATT=OFF/PRE=OFF on 20,
ATT=OFF/PRE=ON on 10, and sometimes PRE=ON on 15 [also not common]. I'm
about 90% CW, I run QSK no QRQ most of the time, QRQ in contests.
Paddle is on the K3, computer keys via WinKey USB.

I haven't touched the AGC settings since the firmware that added all of
them came out and I never back off the RF GAIN.  AGC=F on CW and AFSK,
AGC=S on SSB.  I'm moderately deaf from noise trauma many years ago, so
AF GAIN is at about 12 to 1 o'clock.  I use headphones almost
exclusively unless I'm just monitoring 14061 for a SOTA activation, my
K3 sounds better than any radio I've ever had including the TS-850 which
is noted for great audio.

I wonder how many of the various receive artifacts that are discussed on
the list would be resolvable with very careful adjustment of AGC and
other parameters?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 50th Running of the Cal QSO Party 3-4 Oct 2015
- www.cqp.org

On 12/4/2014 11:02 AM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> I definitely don't have the CW QRQ problems that others seem to be
> describing.

Re: K3 and QSK

Graham Kimbell
I'm very interested in this topic, having raised this question a long
time back.  What I said in June 2011 was:-
/I'm using qsk on cw and I find that if the rf gain is turned up to hear
some background noise, there's a transient or click when the rig
switches to rx (but not when it switches from rx to tx).  To hear this
really badly, try opening the cw b/w up to 2kHz and sending a stream of
dots. The effect is there even at 400Hz, and it's rather off-putting. /

It related to the barefoot K3 in normal break in, not QRQ.  I am
referring to use on 6m where the background noise is relatively low, but
signals can be very weak.  I do not have this problem with my other rig
- an Icom 575.  It would be great to make the K3 as good, because I
found it so bad that I have stopped using QSK altogether.

Graham

Re: K3 and QSK

alsopb
Interesting indeed.

First impressing when getting the K3 was:  "Where is this flawless QSK
people are raving about".

More use detected this flawlessnes frequently.

I always use QSK (not QRQ version) on the K3.  At some times it is
absolutely wonderful, at others there are all kinds of thumps and
clicks.   This is particularly puzzling since I always almost always use
the same filter settings (250 Hz filter set to kIick in at 350 Hz,  350
Hz bandwidth selected), same AGC, same audio settings and same earphones.

One can clearly see a "thump" on the panadapter when there is a problem.

I generally keep the monitor level low.

Some observations:

1) clicks and pops more evident with low monitor settings (contrary to
others observations).
2) narrower CW filters seem worse.
3) no clear dependence on dead vs crowded band.

Perplexing indeed.   It's kind of like sloper antennas which great for
some but terribly for others.

It seems like a detailed parametric study is needed to determine which
receiver and band condition parameters are important and which are
not.    Also what measure does one used to determine performance?
Right now all we have are subjective reports.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 12/5/2014 5:23 AM, Graham g3tct wrote:

> I'm very interested in this topic, having raised this question a long
> time back.  What I said in June 2011 was:-
> /I'm using qsk on cw and I find that if the rf gain is turned up to
> hear some background noise, there's a transient or click when the rig
> switches to rx (but not when it switches from rx to tx). To hear this
> really badly, try opening the cw b/w up to 2kHz and sending a stream
> of dots. The effect is there even at 400Hz, and it's rather
> off-putting. /
>
> It related to the barefoot K3 in normal break in, not QRQ.  I am
> referring to use on 6m where the background noise is relatively low,
> but signals can be very weak.  I do not have this problem with my
> other rig - an Icom 575.  It would be great to make the K3 as good,
> because I found it so bad that I have stopped using QSK altogether.
>
> Graham

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: K3 and QSK