K3 audio quality

Alan. G4GNX
Hi all.

I wonder if I can get some feedback about K3 audio from the built in speaker. Please note that this is not a K3 bashing session, my comments are made as an enquiry based on observed facts.

We have a K3 at the local Ham Radio club and we often get complaints that the audio from the internal speaker is not very good quality, even when signals are 5/9 and virtually no RF noise.
I suspect that part of the reason is that the K3 is setup to someone’s personal preference, or not really setup at all!
We made a comparison last week against a new Icom IC7300 which  also had an external speaker and the IC7300 ‘won’ hands down. At first I made an excuse that it was the external speaker, but we unplugged it and the IC7300 was still superior.

I have never really had an issue with audio on my personal K3, but then I’m into clear communication and over the years I’ve trained my ears to listen in the noise and pick out voices, whilst ignoring the mush, much the same as in a crowded room when attempting a conversation with one or two individuals.

I do know what good hi-fi sound is but do not necessarily look for that in a communications device, so are some members being over-pedantic?

Another Radio Ham reported that he had by accident parked his new K3S under a shelf which ‘threw’ the sound forward and he found that it was greatly enhanced. I wonder if fitting some sort of hood, in keeping with the K3’s style, would be worth trying, or maybe replacing the internal speaker with a better device. I don’t really want to start campaigning to purchase an external speaker for the K3 because it’s another ‘lump’ that needs to be carted around to club meetings and events.

Thoughts?

73,

Alan. G4GNX

Re: K3 audio quality

Bill-3
Check out the RX EQ settings. You can do a lot with them.

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: K3 audio quality

kstover
This has been a complaint for the last nine years and 99% of the time
the fault lies between the chair and the radio. Did anybody do a proper
audio setup on the rig when it arrived or did it just get tossed on the
desk and turned on? You need to go to W3FPR's website and take a look at
the audio settings Don worked up on the original K3.

The K3(s) is a highly configurable radio.

To be fair stick an outboard speaker on the K3 and tweek the audio
settings. Then again some people don't want to mess with radio settings.
The "appliance operators" expect perfect this and perfect that and don't
want to lift a finger to get it.

On 9/16/2016 6:04 AM, Alan. G4GNX wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I wonder if I can get some feedback about K3 audio from the built in speaker. Please note that this is not a K3 bashing session, my comments are made as an enquiry based on observed facts.
>
> We have a K3 at the local Ham Radio club and we often get complaints that the audio from the internal speaker is not very good quality, even when signals are 5/9 and virtually no RF noise.
> I suspect that part of the reason is that the K3 is setup to someone’s personal preference, or not really setup at all!
> We made a comparison last week against a new Icom IC7300 which  also had an external speaker and the IC7300 ‘won’ hands down. At first I made an excuse that it was the external speaker, but we unplugged it and the IC7300 was still superior.
>
> I have never really had an issue with audio on my personal K3, but then I’m into clear communication and over the years I’ve trained my ears to listen in the noise and pick out voices, whilst ignoring the mush, much the same as in a crowded room when attempting a conversation with one or two individuals.
>
> I do know what good hi-fi sound is but do not necessarily look for that in a communications device, so are some members being over-pedantic?
>
> Another Radio Ham reported that he had by accident parked his new K3S under a shelf which ‘threw’ the sound forward and he found that it was greatly enhanced. I wonder if fitting some sort of hood, in keeping with the K3’s style, would be worth trying, or maybe replacing the internal speaker with a better device. I don’t really want to start campaigning to purchase an external speaker for the K3 because it’s another ‘lump’ that needs to be carted around to club meetings and events.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> 73,
>
> Alan. G4GNX

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H
ARRL
FISTS #11993
SKCC #215
NAQCC #3441

---

Re: K3 audio quality

Alan,

Have you considered replacing the speaker in that K3?

On 9/16/2016 7:04 AM, Alan. G4GNX wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I wonder if I can get some feedback about K3 audio from the built in speaker. Please note that this is not a K3 bashing session, my comments are made as an enquiry based on observed facts.

Re: K3 audio quality

Mike Maloney

K3 audio quality

I must say that I respectfully disagree '99% of the time the fault lies between the chair and the radio'.
My comments are restricted to voice mode.  Alan's comments are related to comparison with Icom DSP radios.  K3's audio in voice mode (no matter how you set / adjust the RX EQ) is far inferior than Icom.
The reason behind is the artifacts from K3 DSP.  I am of the opinion that the audio (not internal speaker) from KX3 is more comparable to Icom.
While I am not young and over 50, I can still hear up to 12KHz.  Perhaps, this is the reason why I am very sensitive to DSP artifacts.
73
Johnny VR2XMC

      寄件人︰ Kevin <[hidden email]>
 收件人︰ [hidden email]
 傳送日期︰ 2016年09月16日 (週五) 7:57 PM
 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] K3 audio quality

This has been a complaint for the last nine years and 99% of the time
the fault lies between the chair and the radio. Did anybody do a proper
audio setup on the rig when it arrived or did it just get tossed on the
desk and turned on? You need to go to W3FPR's website and take a look at
the audio settings Don worked up on the original K3.

The K3(s) is a highly configurable radio.

To be fair stick an outboard speaker on the K3 and tweek the audio
settings. Then again some people don't want to mess with radio settings.
The "appliance operators" expect perfect this and perfect that and don't
want to lift a finger to get it.

On 9/16/2016 6:04 AM, Alan. G4GNX wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I wonder if I can get some feedback about K3 audio from the built in speaker. Please note that this is not a K3 bashing session, my comments are made as an enquiry based on observed facts.
>
> We have a K3 at the local Ham Radio club and we often get complaints that the audio from the internal speaker is not very good quality, even when signals are 5/9 and virtually no RF noise. I suspect that part of the reason is that the K3 is setup to someone’s personal preference, or not really setup at all!
> We made a comparison last week against a new Icom IC7300 which  also had an external speaker and the IC7300 ‘won’ hands down. At first I made an excuse that it was the external speaker, but we unplugged it and the IC7300 was still superior.
>
> I have never really had an issue with audio on my personal K3, but then I’m into clear communication and over the years I’ve trained my ears to listen in the noise and pick out voices, whilst ignoring the mush, much the same as in a crowded room when attempting a conversation with one or two individuals.
>
> I do know what good hi-fi sound is but do not necessarily look for that in a communications device, so are some members being over-pedantic?
>
> Another Radio Ham reported that he had by accident parked his new K3S under a shelf which ‘threw’ the sound forward and he found that it was greatly enhanced. I wonder if fitting some sort of hood, in keeping with the K3’s style, would be worth trying, or maybe replacing the internal speaker with a better device. I don’t really want to start campaigning to purchase an external speaker for the K3 because it’s another ‘lump’ that needs to be carted around to club meetings and events.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> 73,
>
> Alan. G4GNX

Re: K3 audio quality

Clay Autery
I would be interested to see the testing procedure and results that confirm your statement RE: DSP artifacts.

Not sure why you would be concerned about audio anywhere near 12 kHz.

Sent from my cell phone... pardon the likely typos!  ;)

> [...]

> I do know what good hi-fi sound is but do not necessarily look for that in a communications device, so are some members being over-pedantic?
>
> Another Radio Ham reported that he had by accident parked his new K3S under a shelf which ‘threw’ the sound forward and he found that it was greatly enhanced. I wonder if fitting some sort of hood, in keeping with the K3’s style, would be worth trying, or maybe replacing the internal speaker with a better device. I don’t really want to start campaigning to purchase an external speaker for the K3 because it’s another ‘lump’ that needs to be carted around to club meetings and events.

Re: K3 audio quality

Edward R Cole
I only listened to the internal K3 speaker for a few days when it was
brand new...sounded harsh.  Use of headphones K3 sounds great and
have been using a ten-inch National Speaker built in the 1950's since
then whose ambience I really appreciate.

I never haul my K3 out to portable locations so quite happen in the
shack in this configuration.  Just as in Hi Fi preferences, its
personal taste.  If you don't care for the sound of the small
internal speaker hook something else up.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: K3 audio quality

Jerry Moore
I went round and round with my K3S sound to no avail. I finally realized 2 important facts.
1. When operating I wear headphones.
2. If I want speaker sound it's better to have it directed towards me.

So for using the built in speaker a hood or reflector may work, however, I've personally found a separate external speaker gives the best possible sound (especially after the built in EQ is adjusted for the mode I'm working).
Just my 2c

[...]

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: K3 audio quality

Nate Bargmann
* On 2016 16 Sep 07:33 -0500, Johnny Siu via Elecraft wrote:
> My comments are restricted to voice mode.  Alan's comments are related
> to comparison with Icom DSP radios.  K3's audio in voice mode (no
> matter how you set / adjust the RX EQ) is far inferior than Icom.

I don't own an Icom and likely never will so I can't compare.  I do have
some Yaesu radios and a Kenwood TS-520 to compare and coming back to the
K3 is relaxing to me.

> The reason behind is the artifacts from K3 DSP.  I am of the opinion
> that the audio (not internal speaker) from KX3 is more comparable to
> Icom.

Is this with the later DSP board or the original?  My K3 came with the
later version DSP and I don't notice artifacts nor is the K3 audio
"tiring".

> While I am not young and over 50, I can still hear up to
> 12KHz.  Perhaps, this is the reason why I am very sensitive to DSP
> artifacts.

I'm very similar but one thing I did right away is to set the RX EQ to
roll off all frequencies above 4 kHz or so as much as possible for SSB
(for CW my settings are even more aggressive).  I don't use the K3 for
AM broadcast listening so anything above those frequencies is useless
for SSB audio and attenuated to the greatest extent possible.  It's also
likely that I would have no idea of what artifacts would sound like
either.  ;-)

73, Nate, N0NB

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: K3 audio quality

Jerry Moore
In my case the issue was low frequency harmonics in the case/assembly causing the audio to distort. Removing the speaker from the case resulted in very excellent audio from the built in speaker. I re-installed it and use an external speaker now (on the rare occasion I need/want external sound).
It's largely a non-issue as I was surprised to find I operate most often with headphones so I can hear better.

This has been a complaint for the last nine years and 99% of the time the fault lies between the chair and the radio. Did anybody do a proper audio setup on the rig when it arrived or did it just get tossed on the desk and turned on? You need to go to W3FPR's website and take a look at the audio settings Don worked up on the original K3.

The K3(s) is a highly configurable radio.

To be fair stick an outboard speaker on the K3 and tweek the audio settings. Then again some people don't want to mess with radio settings.
The "appliance operators" expect perfect this and perfect that and don't want to lift a finger to get it.

On 9/16/2016 6:04 AM, Alan. G4GNX wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I wonder if I can get some feedback about K3 audio from the built in speaker. Please note that this is not a K3 bashing session, my comments are made as an enquiry based on observed facts.
>
> We have a K3 at the local Ham Radio club and we often get complaints that the audio from the internal speaker is not very good quality, even when signals are 5/9 and virtually no RF noise.
> I suspect that part of the reason is that the K3 is setup to someone’s personal preference, or not really setup at all!
> We made a comparison last week against a new Icom IC7300 which  also had an external speaker and the IC7300 ‘won’ hands down. At first I made an excuse that it was the external speaker, but we unplugged it and the IC7300 was still superior.
>
> I have never really had an issue with audio on my personal K3, but then I’m into clear communication and over the years I’ve trained my ears to listen in the noise and pick out voices, whilst ignoring the mush, much the same as in a crowded room when attempting a conversation with one or two individuals.
>
> I do know what good hi-fi sound is but do not necessarily look for that in a communications device, so are some members being over-pedantic?
>
> Another Radio Ham reported that he had by accident parked his new K3S under a shelf which ‘threw’ the sound forward and he found that it was greatly enhanced. I wonder if fitting some sort of hood, in keeping with the K3’s style, would be worth trying, or maybe replacing the internal speaker with a better device. I don’t really want to start campaigning to purchase an external speaker for the K3 because it’s another ‘lump’ that needs to be carted around to club meetings and events.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> 73,
>
> Alan. G4GNX

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H
ARRL
FISTS #11993
SKCC #215
NAQCC #3441

---

Re: K3 audio quality

Bill-3
First - my K3 never leaves my desk. Hence, no issues with external speakers.

It took me several months of adjusting the EQ and AGC (many settings
available to the user to suit their desires) to get the sound I desired
from my Behringer MS40 speakers. Armchair surround copy! Best sounding
rig I ever had - and up until about ten years ago, I had nearly all of
them since the 60s.

The beauty of the K3 being the availability of the many menu settings to
adjust the rig to whatever you want.

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: K3 audio quality

Charlie T, K3ICH
I have yet to use any internal SS radio's speaker except for an occasional test or possibly a portable set-up.
They may as well leave it out as far as I'm concerned.  NONE of them come anywhere close to the sound quality I get from simple outboard speakers.
(Note, this does NOT include the over-priced, cheap speaker in a metal box often sold as a matching "accessory" by the big-three.)
Personally, I find the recovered audio from my K3s, feeding two little computer speakers to be the best of any modern radio I have ever used.
That said, it's hard to beat the audio from an old boatanchor radio with push-pull 6V6's driving a big 12" speaker cabinet.

73, Charlie k3ICH

In my case the issue was low frequency harmonics in the case/assembly causing the audio to distort. Removing the speaker from the case resulted in very excellent audio from the built in speaker. I re-installed it and use an external speaker now (on the rare occasion I need/want external sound).
It's largely a non-issue as I was surprised to find I operate most often with headphones so I can hear better.

Re: K3 audio quality

Vic Rosenthal
High frequencies propagate in a straight line from a speaker, so a speaker facing upward loses 'presence'. Also the K3 speaker is a small speaker in a small box. An external speaker, facing the operator, will help a great deal.

Vic 4X6GP

> On 16 Sep 2016, at 14:04, Alan. G4GNX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> I wonder if I can get some feedback about K3 audio from the built in speaker. Please note that this is not a K3 bashing session, my comments are made as an enquiry based on observed facts.
>
> We have a K3 at the local Ham Radio club and we often get complaints that the audio from the internal speaker is not very good quality, even when signals are 5/9 and virtually no RF noise.
> I suspect that part of the reason is that the K3 is setup to someone’s personal preference, or not really setup at all!
> We made a comparison last week against a new Icom IC7300 which  also had an external speaker and the IC7300 ‘won’ hands down. At first I made an excuse that it was the external speaker, but we unplugged it and the IC7300 was still superior.
>
> I have never really had an issue with audio on my personal K3, but then I’m into clear communication and over the years I’ve trained my ears to listen in the noise and pick out voices, whilst ignoring the mush, much the same as in a crowded room when attempting a conversation with one or two individuals.
>
> I do know what good hi-fi sound is but do not necessarily look for that in a communications device, so are some members being over-pedantic?
>
> Another Radio Ham reported that he had by accident parked his new K3S under a shelf which ‘threw’ the sound forward and he found that it was greatly enhanced. I wonder if fitting some sort of hood, in keeping with the K3’s style, would be worth trying, or maybe replacing the internal speaker with a better device. I don’t really want to start campaigning to purchase an external speaker for the K3 because it’s another ‘lump’ that needs to be carted around to club meetings and events.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> 73,
>
> Alan. G4GNX

Re: K3 audio quality

David Cutter
I stand a stiff cardboard box (for my Kent paddle) behind the speaker and
that throws the sound toward me. The K3 speaker in an external box would be
very good. I have Pyle battery powered speakers which are also excellent and
very small as advised on the list some while ago.
David
G3UNA

> High frequencies propagate in a straight line from a speaker, so a speaker
> facing upward loses 'presence'. Also the K3 speaker is a small speaker in
> a small box. An external speaker, facing the operator, will help a great
> deal.
>
> Vic 4X6GP

Re: K3 audio quality

Nate Bargmann
* On 2016 16 Sep 09:17 -0500, Vic Rosenthal wrote:
> High frequencies propagate in a straight line from a speaker, so a
> speaker facing upward loses 'presence'. Also the K3 speaker is a small
> speaker in a small box. An external speaker, facing the operator, will
> help a great deal.

I don't use the internal speaker on the K3 as it sits under a shelf and
with the radio sloping rearward, that is probably a recipe in
frustration.  I have a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 3.5 speakers (now
probably getting close to 25 years old and not amplified) connected to
the K3 and facing me positioned on either side and to the rear of the
computer monitor that sits on the shelf directly above the K3.  The
audio is pleasant to me with the K3's volume control rarely advanced
above the 9:30 or so position.

73, Nate, N0NB

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: K3 audio quality

Matthew Lawson
My K3 has had weak audio on the external speaker, have to crank volume knob
up almost all the way up. Seems like there is no amplification. Need to
check into it.

*Matthew Lawson*
*KC7EQO*
*442.100 + 100 Hz PL Blyn Mt Repeater*

*http://www.qrz.com/db/KC7EQO/R <http://www.qrz.com/db/KC7EQO/R>*
<http:///www.linkedin.com/in/mlawsonkc7eqo>

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * On 2016 16 Sep 09:17 -0500, Vic Rosenthal wrote:
> > High frequencies propagate in a straight line from a speaker, so a
> > speaker facing upward loses 'presence'. Also the K3 speaker is a small
> > speaker in a small box. An external speaker, facing the operator, will
> > help a great deal.
>
> I don't use the internal speaker on the K3 as it sits under a shelf and
> with the radio sloping rearward, that is probably a recipe in
> frustration.  I have a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 3.5 speakers (now
> probably getting close to 25 years old and not amplified) connected to
> the K3 and facing me positioned on either side and to the rear of the
> computer monitor that sits on the shelf directly above the K3.  The
> audio is pleasant to me with the K3's volume control rarely advanced
> above the 9:30 or so position.
>
> 73, Nate, N0NB
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

Re: K3 audio quality

Richard Fjeld-2

I usually use a Yamaha CM500 headset which I like very much.

For an external speaker, early into the hobby I made a nice walnut frame
with grill cloth to house an old speaker from a Muntz TV, if you
remember those. It became a keepsake.

Dick, n0ce

On 9/16/2016 8:49 AM, Charlie T, K3ICH wrote:
> I have yet to use any internal SS radio's speaker except for an occasional test or possibly a portable set-up.
> They may as well leave it out as far as I'm concerned.  NONE of them come anywhere close to the sound quality I get from simple outboard speakers.
> (Note, this does NOT include the over-priced, cheap speaker in a metal box often sold as a matching "accessory" by the big-three.)
> Personally, I find the recovered audio from my K3s, feeding two little computer speakers to be the best of any modern radio I have ever used.
> That said, it's hard to beat the audio from an old boatanchor radio with push-pull 6V6's driving a big 12" speaker cabinet.
>
> 73, Charlie k3ICH

Re: K3 audio quality

A recurring theme on this list, Alan.  My hearing is sufficiently
challenged that the only audio my K3 ever produces go into headphones,
which are hugely improved over the "cans" on the mid-20th Century.  I
have found that the internal speakers in many of today's transceivers
leave a lot to be desired.  I find the K3 internal speaker to be in the
lower part of the "audio quality" spectrum.  That said,

You can lay your headphones on the desk and still copy CW [old RO's
trick for weak signals in noise].  You will also hear voice and it will
be intelligible, but it doesn't sound good.  Mark this as one end of the
quality spectrum

A number of years ago, I inherited a Hallicrafters SX-28 with the bass
reflex speaker cabinet.  The cabinet is about belt-high, and about 50 cm
wide and deep [receiver will fit nicely on top].  The speaker is about
30-35 cm in diameter, and has a very large, strong magnet.  Internally,
it has a baffle that directs the energy from the rear of the speaker
back, around, and eventually out the bottom front ... a fairly long
path.  The SX-28 uses two 6V6's in push-pull for 8 watts undistorted
audio out.  It sounds fantastic!  Mark that as the other end of the
quality spectrum.

I formed a theory long ago that speakers are like antennas.  A small
antenna [relative to wavelength] will radiate, but not well.  Likewise,
a small speaker will speak, but it does so best at higher frequencies.
If you want balanced audio, you need apparatus that "radiates" well at
longer wavelengths.  Electronic equalization can do a lot, but in the
end, it's the "antenna" that makes the final difference.  My K3 has much
less empty volume inside that my TS-950 did.  The 950 sounded better.
My K2 has less empty volume than my K3, and predictably, sounds worse

I forwarded my theory to Stockholm ... just waiting now for the Nobel
Committee to send me travel instructions.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV
Washoe County DM09dn

On 9/16/2016 4:04 AM, Alan. G4GNX wrote:

> I wonder if I can get some feedback about K3 audio from the built in
> speaker. Please note that this is not a K3 bashing session, my
> comments are made as an enquiry based on observed facts.
>
> We have a K3 at the local Ham Radio club and we often get complaints
> that the audio from the internal speaker is not very good quality,
> even when signals are 5/9 and virtually no RF noise. I suspect that
> part of the reason is that the K3 is setup to someone’s personal
> preference, or not really setup at all! We made a comparison last
> week against a new Icom IC7300 which  also had an external speaker
> and the IC7300 ‘won’ hands down. At first I made an excuse that it
> was the external speaker, but we unplugged it and the IC7300 was
> still superior.

Re: K3 audio quality

Edward R Cole
PS:  I have just gotten new hearing aids that have bluetooth
capability.  Soon will try using the audio appliance to interface
with headphone output of the K3, which will eliminate all speakers
(if it works well).  It works well when used with my iphone, so
likely will be nice for working weak-signals with the radio (my
biggest challenge is hearing in white-noise).

But for casual haming with armchair signals the big old ten inch
National speaker sounds real nice with the K3.
http://www.kl7uw.com/Shack2011_1.jpg  speaker at left side of photo

I use the COMspkr from West Mountain with my KX3 in the shack and
will use the KX3 mobile with the Sync in my truck.

And note in this 1958 photo of my Novice station the speaker (and
also the headphones) next to the typewriter!
http://www.kl7uw.com/1958%20HamStation.jpg

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"