K3 drift

G4HUE
Well today I had another play, 10MHz source(locked to Droitwich) and counter left on for a couple of hours so I was happy they were stable. Tuned into my 10MHz signal and measured a tone on my frequency meter of 595Hz on a cold K3 - now over the next 30 minutes it drifted down to 583Hz. So over the next few hours I conducted experiments the last of which was to run CW continuously for 1hr (wow) 100watts into a dummy load (10MHz band) then when I went to measure the tone on the 10MHz oscillator it was 582Hz and drifted another 1Hz over 30 minutes.
Now as far as I am concerned that feels like very small beer. My only "observation" is that it did drift 12Hz in 30 minutes - but I think I can live with that. Maybe I am lucky but this feels good to me. The PA temperature reached 48C and stayed there. The K3 manual is quite clear (page 9 ) that 100watts on CW for 10 minutes - but then my house is quite cold (18C not 25C).
I think I have bigger fish to fry than worry about this drift. YMMV.
Andy G4HUE

Re: K3 drift

KD7PY
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: K3 drift

Bill Frantz
I see this problem running PSK31. My solution is to use the two
decoder windows in cocoaModem. With the one I'm using for
transmit, I never change the frequency. I chase the other guy as
his frequency changes using the other decoder window. If other
side of the QSO changes tuning to better receive me, my transmit
frequency will remain the same and I can hope he will not need
to retune and we can avoid chasing each other across the band. :-)

For SSB, RIT might be a good answer, although you can be a bit
sloppier in SSB and still understand the other end than you can
in PSK.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 1/16/15 at 10:57 AM, [hidden email] (KD7PY) wrote:

>I don't think the K3 has a drift problem. but what it could be is the other
>station that is listening to you is tuning his dial slightly to adjust to
>get the tone or voice to where he likes it, and then when you go back to
>receive you see that he is off freq. thinking that you drifted.

Re: K3 drift

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> I see this problem running PSK31. My solution is to use the two
> decoder windows in cocoaModem. With the one I'm using for transmit, I
> never change the frequency. I chase the other guy as his frequency
> changes using the other decoder window.

Don't need to worry about it with WinWarbler (part of DXLab Suite).
Once I've answered a CQ or someone has answered me, I simply uncheck
the "NET" box in the transmit window and my transmit frequency never
moves.  I can allow AFC to run in the receive window to track the
other station as he moves or even click on his trace if he has moved
too far for the AFC to follow.