K3 errata for the new synthesizer

Randy Moore
In building K3 #8999, I believe I discovered an omission from the errata
sheet, having to do with the new synthesizer board.

In the errata for "Page 70, Synthesizer Calibration," I believe the
display of "SYN1 OK" and "SYN2*FF" in the VFO B area of the LCD is
dependent on having TECH MD turned on in the CONFIG MENU.  At least it
is on #8999 with firmware 5.14.

73,
Randy, KS4L

Re: K3 errata for the new synthesizer

dwines
I believe the instructions say to turn on Tech Mode before checking SYNn.

Don, K5DW

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Re: K3 errata for the new synthesizer

Randy Moore
On a third look, I see why I missed this. The instructions in the Assembly Manual do say to turn on Tech MD. However, when I initially went through the errata, I took the Page 70 note to replace all of the Synth. Cal. instructions in the manual, so when I got there during assembly, I just read the errata note and ignored the manual. I still think at least a note about turning on TECH MD would be good in the errata note.

Randy, KS4L

> On May 1, 2015, at 10:54 AM, dwines <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I believe the instructions say to turn on Tech Mode before checking SYNn.
>
> Don, K5DW
>

> Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Guy Olinger K2AV
Such reading of errata would be a danger in anyone's manual correction.
Unless a page specifically says "replace page X in its entirety with this
page" then the original page must be read with an eye toward insertion,
deletion or replacement based on the errata

Of course I was told this in multiple educational settings without
listening, and only actually learned when confronted with a resultant
miswire and traced back to the source of my misinformation.

We are so lucky with Elecraft to actually get fixes and revisions. In so
many other places you have to buy a new model. Even half-baked errata is a
huge improvement over those companies.

73 Guy

--
Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone

Re: K3 errata for the new synthesizer

Hisashi T Fujinaka
Being in a customer support role, I have to say errata are quite
important. The Elecraft errata aren't great and I wish they could use
more on-demand printing so they could just ship a new manual instead of
one where you have to jump all over from manual to errata back and
forth. At the very least, fix the manuals online and tell people to
check the versioning and use those if they're newer.

Poor errata are better than no errata, but this is something I've
mentioned to Elecraft as one of my few complaints in the past.

On Fri, 1 May 2015, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> Such reading of errata would be a danger in anyone's manual correction.
> Unless a page specifically says "replace page X in its entirety with this
> page" then the original page must be read with an eye toward insertion,
> deletion or replacement based on the errata
>
> Of course I was told this in multiple educational settings without
> listening, and only actually learned when confronted with a resultant
> miswire and traced back to the source of my misinformation.
>
> We are so lucky with Elecraft to actually get fixes and revisions. In so
> many other places you have to buy a new model. Even half-baked errata is a
> huge improvement over those companies.
>
> 73 Guy
>
> On Friday, May 1, 2015, Randy Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On a third look, I see why I missed this. The instructions in the Assembly
>> Manual do say to turn on Tech MD. However, when I initially went through
>> the errata, I took the Page 70 note to replace all of the Synth. Cal.
>> instructions in the manual, so when I got there during assembly, I just
>> read the errata note and ignored the manual. I still think at least a note
>> about turning on TECH MD would be good in the errata note.
>>
>> Randy, KS4L
>>
>> > On May 1, 2015, at 10:54 AM, dwines <[hidden email]
>> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I believe the instructions say to turn on Tech Mode before checking SYNn.
>> >
>> > Don, K5DW
>> >

>> > Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S? 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email]
BSEE + BSChem + BAEnglish + MSCS + $2.50 = coffee