K3 front panel switches

k6dgw
My K3, S/N 642, has been slowly developing "front panel dementia" [as am
I as I accumulate birthdays].  A number of the switches are becoming
intermittent, and often, the first push of one causes a totally
unrelated action [e.g. tapping BAND UP turns on NR].  It doesn't happen
with all of them and it seems like the ones I use the most are pretty
stable.  I find that a really positive actuation, as in hard, often
makes it work correctly.

My K3 is getting somewhat long in the tooth as the S/N would indicate,
but I was under the impression that the front panel switches were rated
at multi-millions of operations, and I'm sure I haven't come remotely
close to exceeding that.  My truck is 13 years old and is developing
similar symptoms [Tach says the engine is doing 6,000 RPM sitting in the
driveway :-)]

Curious:

1.  Anybody else experience this?

2.  If so, what did you do?

3.  How do I tell if it's time to send it into the Big E?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
- www.cqp.org

Re: K3 front panel switches

Elecraft mailing list
You might also take a look for a note from k6ll in the archives about erratic button behavior related to encoder issues-he described a way to exercise the encoders that resolved what looked like keypad issues on my k3 in short order.

73 Scott ka9p

Make something good happen!

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 6:26 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've not experienced that with my K3 which goes back to 2008 (S/N 00010),
> but I would suspect corrosion on contacts. You might remove the front panel
> assembly from the K3 and then plug it in again, and possibly do the same for
> the DSP board. I've seen others suggest exercising the troubled switches
> many times to good effect.
>
> One reason I've not experienced it on ol' number 10 is that every time there
> a question about the assembly procedure or a kit change it comes apart to
> check the changes. The contacts get exercised a lot.
>
> I don't recall if you built your K3 from a kit, Fred, but if not download
> the KRX3 manual from the Elecraft web site. It has detailed instructions for
> R/R the front panel assembly as part of the sub receiver installation.
>
> After splitting logs for an hour this afternoon with trusty axe, I feel like
> my personal "tach" is on the peg just sitting here (puff, puff, puff). I
> might be experiencing some "corrosion" myself and in need of more exercise.
>
> Good hunting and 73
> Ron AC7AC

Re: K3 front panel switches

N1IX-2
Fred,
I had a very similar problem. Exercising the encoder pushbuttons cured the
problem for a while but it came back and I ended up sending it to Elecraft
where the replaced all 4 encoders. I also had the do all the upgrades. Now
it's like a new radio.
My truck (Tacoma) is 15 years old and still going strong :)
73
Dave N1IX

Re: K3 front panel switches

Dave Hachadorian-2
Fred,

Try this:
http://marc.info/?l=elecraft&m=144267531705514&w=2

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

Re: K3 front panel switches

Mike Reublin NF4L
Fred,
Give the techs at Elecraft a call. They're REAL good at diagnosing problems, and suggesting fixes. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work, send it in.
73, Mike NF4L

> On Apr 8, 2016, at 6:44 PM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My K3, S/N 642, has been slowly developing "front panel dementia" [as am I as I accumulate birthdays].  A number of the switches are becoming intermittent, and often, the first push of one causes a totally unrelated action [e.g. tapping BAND UP turns on NR].  It doesn't happen with all of them and it seems like the ones I use the most are pretty stable.  I find that a really positive actuation, as in hard, often makes it work correctly.
>
> My K3 is getting somewhat long in the tooth as the S/N would indicate, but I was under the impression that the front panel switches were rated at multi-millions of operations, and I'm sure I haven't come remotely close to exceeding that.  My truck is 13 years old and is developing similar symptoms [Tach says the engine is doing 6,000 RPM sitting in the driveway :-)]
>
> Curious:
>
> 1.  Anybody else experience this?
>
> 2.  If so, what did you do?
>
> 3.  How do I tell if it's time to send it into the Big E?
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016