K3 interface to Signalink USB question

W2RMS
Hello everyone!
I have a Signalink USB box that I'd like to interface with my new K3. From what I understand the preferred connection method is via the rear Line-In/Out jacks, right? I am using those with my rack audio gear, though (xlr mic/EQ/mixer/etc). What would you guys suggest that I do?
Can/should I use the front mic connector (it is the standard Kenwood 8-pin pinout, right?). Or is it possible to connect the Signalink inline with the audio stuff, between the rack and the K3?
Also, I have a new LP-PAN with an E-mu 0404 sound card that I haven't connected yet. So I wonder if that can somehow be used for the Signalink.

I also have an iPlus box (FYI).
Thanks in advance for your suggestions and ideas!

Slava Baytalskiy
[hidden email]
W2RMS

Re: K3 interface to Signalink USB question

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Sal,

When I had a SignaLink connected to my K3, I had the Kenwood cable set for
the SignaLink.  It connected as follows:

-USB from computer to SignaLink
-Cable from SignaLink to K3 rear panel Line-In and Line-Out, as
appropriately marked.

Now I just use stereo cables directly from the sound card on my PC into the
rear panel Line-In and Line-Out on the K3.  I route K3 line-out to computer
line-in and K3 line-in to computer line-out.

I'm not familiar with the other audio equipment you're using, so can't
venture a comment there.

Hope this helps.

73 es gl de

--Ian
Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA  EM74ua
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688, KPA500 #1468
HRD v5.x/6.0 Test Team

Re: K3 interface to Signalink USB question

Slava,

Yes, you should be able to use the front mic jack.  Set the SignaLink
for mic level output rather than line level (see the SignaLink
documentation).  Turn bias off for the front mic.

It is feasible that you could feed the SignaLink into your audio rack,
but it should not run through any of the conditioning mechanisms.  If
you do that, you would want to kill all other inputs to your audio rack
and just run the SignaLink 'straight through' to the Line In on the K3.
Whether that is possible or not depends on the capabilities of your mixer.

On 3/26/2014 12:36 PM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:

> Hello everyone!
> I have a Signalink USB box that I'd like to interface with my new K3. From what I understand the preferred connection method is via the rear Line-In/Out jacks, right? I am using those with my rack audio gear, though (xlr mic/EQ/mixer/etc). What would you guys suggest that I do?
> Can/should I use the front mic connector (it is the standard Kenwood 8-pin pinout, right?). Or is it possible to connect the Signalink inline with the audio stuff, between the rack and the K3?
> Also, I have a new LP-PAN with an E-mu 0404 sound card that I haven't connected yet. So I wonder if that can somehow be used for the Signalink.
>
> I also have an iPlus box (FYI).
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions and ideas!
>
> Slava Baytalskiy
> [hidden email]
> W2RMS

Re: K3 interface to Signalink USB question

W2RMS
Thanks everyone!
Don, will this setup liven up the mic? Or is there a way to just switch to front panel mic input only when using SL USB? I mean I know I can set the menu option to fp mic. But if I didn't and SL USB keyed up the rig - my actual mic would be live, right?

Slava Baytalskiy
[hidden email]
W2RMS

On Mar 26, 2014, at 12:56 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slava,
>
> Yes, you should be able to use the front mic jack.  Set the SignaLink for mic level output rather than line level (see the SignaLink documentation).  Turn bias off for the front mic.
>
> It is feasible that you could feed the SignaLink into your audio rack, but it should not run through any of the conditioning mechanisms.  If you do that, you would want to kill all other inputs to your audio rack and just run the SignaLink 'straight through' to the Line In on the K3.  Whether that is possible or not depends on the capabilities of your mixer.

> On 3/26/2014 12:36 PM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:
>> Hello everyone!
>> I have a Signalink USB box that I'd like to interface with my new K3. From what I understand the preferred connection method is via the rear Line-In/Out jacks, right? I am using those with my rack audio gear, though (xlr mic/EQ/mixer/etc). What would you guys suggest that I do?
>> Can/should I use the front mic connector (it is the standard Kenwood 8-pin pinout, right?). Or is it possible to connect the Signalink inline with the audio stuff, between the rack and the K3?
>> Also, I have a new LP-PAN with an E-mu 0404 sound card that I haven't connected yet. So I wonder if that can somehow be used for the Signalink.
>>
>> I also have an iPlus box (FYI).
>> Thanks in advance for your suggestions and ideas!
>>
>> Slava Baytalskiy
>> [hidden email]
>> W2RMS

Re: K3 interface to Signalink USB question

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Sal, that RJ-45 jack was used at the factory for programming purposes.  It
has no function outside of that.

73 de

-- Ian
Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA  EM74ua
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688, KPA500 #1468
HRD v5.x/6.0 Test Team

Re: K3 interface to Signalink USB question

Slava,

That all depends on whether you feed the SL USB through your mixer or go
with the front panel mic.

Through the front panel, set the mic select to the front mic and bias
off.  Use VOX and do not connect PTT from the SL USB and you will not
have any PTT 'mistakes'.

If you feed it through your mixer, then it all depends on your mixer and
its controls - I don't know your full audio (nor PTT) setup, so I cannot
comment.

On 3/26/2014 5:00 PM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:
> Thanks everyone!
> Don, will this setup liven up the mic? Or is there a way to just switch to front panel mic input only when using SL USB? I mean I know I can set the menu option to fp mic. But if I didn't and SL USB keyed up the rig - my actual mic would be live, right?

Re: K3 interface to Signalink USB question

N8LP
SignaLink is mono, I believe. LP-PAN requires stereo.

Larry N8LP