K3 internal connectors

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

K3 internal connectors

Tom Boucher-2
Can anyone tell me at what point (Date-S/No.) Elecraft started fitting gold flashed connector pins on the internal connectors? A member of our contest group is interested in buying a used K3 and I have advised him not to get an older one because of the connector reliability issues.

Thanks,
Tom G3OLB

Sent from PITA Mail for Windows 10

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

Mark E. Musick
Hi Tom,
When I had K3 serial No. 3505 in for upgrades they upgraded it to the gold
pins. I asked the same question and was told it was somewhere between 4000
and 4100. They can't give an exact number due to some orders being kits
versus the factory assembled units.

Mark, WB9CIF

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]> On
Behalf Of Tom Boucher
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:57 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 internal connectors

Can anyone tell me at what point (Date-S/No.) Elecraft started fitting gold
flashed connector pins on the internal connectors? A member of our contest
group is interested in buying a used K3 and I have advised him not to get an
older one because of the connector reliability issues.

Thanks,
Tom G3OLB

Sent from PITA Mail for Windows 10

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message
delivered to [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

Don Wilhelm
In reply to this post by Tom Boucher-2
Tom,

I don't know the date, but what I can tell you is that the replacement
pins are supplied by Elecraft at no cost.  They are not difficult to
change, it just takes some time.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 3/22/2018 10:56 AM, Tom Boucher wrote:
> Can anyone tell me at what point (Date-S/No.) Elecraft started fitting gold flashed connector pins on the internal connectors? A member of our contest group is interested in buying a used K3 and I have advised him not to get an older one because of the connector reliability issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom G3OLB
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

Grant Youngman-2
In reply to this post by Mark E. Musick
The connectors are not difficult to replace.  

I know that some folks have had issues.  My own K3 is a 2000-range serial number and I’ve not yet had any kind of problem.  I did replace the pins on the 100W amp module as a preventative, but have not done so on the FP board, although I have the pins.  But that can likely also be fixed by unplugging, putting on a bit of DeOxit, and plugging back in.  The wiping action alone of plugging and unplugging a couple of times will likely take care of it on its own — although I’m sure someone has a different opinion, because that’s the way it is :-)

Grant NQ5T
K3 #2091, KX3 #8342


> On Mar 22, 2018, at 2:14 PM, Mark E. Musick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom,
> When I had K3 serial No. 3505 in for upgrades they upgraded it to the gold
> pins. I asked the same question and was told it was somewhere between 4000
> and 4100. They can't give an exact number due to some orders being kits
> versus the factory assembled units.
>
> Mark, WB9CIF
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]> On
> Behalf Of Tom Boucher
> Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:57 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] K3 internal connectors
>
> Can anyone tell me at what point (Date-S/No.) Elecraft started fitting gold
> flashed connector pins on the internal connectors? A member of our contest
> group is interested in buying a used K3 and I have advised him not to get an
> older one because of the connector reliability issues.
>





______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

Don Wilhelm
The best and easiest way to remove the front panel pins is to cut the
plastic strip on the pins into small enough pieces so you can pull the
strip off the pins - then remove the pins one at a time.  Clean up with
solder wick, and if solder remains in the holes, heat the solder pad and
push it out with a wooden toothpick or a stainless steel needle.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 3/22/2018 2:36 PM, GRANT YOUNGMAN wrote:
> The connectors are not difficult to replace.
>
> I know that some folks have had issues.  
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

ke9uw
In reply to this post by Tom Boucher-2
My K3 was purchased in 2010 which seems to avoid most of the early required
mods.

The optional mods that came after 2010 are:

the 12vdc current update at the rear panel,
the additional speaker audio output protection,
the additional bandwidth capacitor from 100KHz to 500KHz (which requires the
new synthesizers as well),
the fan noise additional filter capacitor,
the new synthesizers which requires a mod to the KREF3 (a single resistor)
to increase it's output,
the new USB Sound and Comm port capability,
Also a resistor to increase the output of the 6P6C connector on the front
bottom of the K3 to power the K POD.
None of this is mandatory. The cost of these updates would cost about $1100
in parts kits.
 




-----
Chuck, KE9UW
--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Chuck, KE9UW
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

Don Wilhelm
Wow! $1100 for the parts kits.  I trust you mean about $11.00 instead.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 3/23/2018 9:53 AM, ke9uw wrote:

> None of this is mandatory. The cost of these updates would cost about $1100
> in parts kits.
>  
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

ke9uw
No. The synthesizers (2 of them) and the USB Sound and Comm port update total around $960 to add. I might have rounded up too casually for shipping and the other mod kits which are around 10 dollars each, some free. So maybe $1000.
Chuck Hawley
 [hidden email]

 Amateur Radio, KE9UW
 aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles
________________________________________
From: Don Wilhelm [[hidden email]]
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2018 9:08 AM
To: hawley, charles j jr; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 internal connectors

Wow! $1100 for the parts kits.  I trust you mean about $11.00 instead.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 3/23/2018 9:53 AM, ke9uw wrote:

> None of this is mandatory. The cost of these updates would cost about $1100
> in parts kits.
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Chuck, KE9UW
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

Don Wilhelm
Chuck,

Sorry, I misunderstood - I did not consider that you were adding the new
synth cards and the other upgrades.

Other than the upgrades to bring the K3 as close to the K3S as possible,
the parts for the other basic K3 mod kits is quite small.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 3/23/2018 10:18 AM, hawley, charles j jr wrote:

> No. The synthesizers (2 of them) and the USB Sound and Comm port update total around $960 to add. I might have rounded up too casually for shipping and the other mod kits which are around 10 dollars each, some free. So maybe $1000.
> Chuck Hawley
>   [hidden email]
>
>   Amateur Radio, KE9UW
>   aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles
> ________________________________________
> From: Don Wilhelm [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, March 23, 2018 9:08 AM
> To: hawley, charles j jr; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 internal connectors
>
> Wow! $1100 for the parts kits.  I trust you mean about $11.00 instead.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 3/23/2018 9:53 AM, ke9uw wrote:
>
>> None of this is mandatory. The cost of these updates would cost about $1100
>> in parts kits.
>>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

Brian Hunt
In reply to this post by ke9uw
My K3 is also from 2010, April as I recall. I recently did the component mods you mentioned except for the KREF3 and KPOD resistors. Also I added the general coverage BPF board with 472 kHz in mind. I added the new synthesizer as soon as it came out. It all went very well and only took a few hours, stretching it out to prolong the fun of getting my fingers into my factory built K3. :-)

Add to your list the suggested thermal pads under the LPA transistors. These are recommended if you do a lot of 100% duty cycle transmitting.

Good luck & 73,
Brian, K0DTJ

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 06:53, ke9uw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My K3 was purchased in 2010 which seems to avoid most of the early required
> mods.
>
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3 internal connectors

Michael Eberle
In reply to this post by ke9uw
It would have to be more than $11.00 since the KIO3BUPKT alone is $400.

Mike, KI0HA


On 3/23/2018 09:08, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Wow! $1100 for the parts kits.  I trust you mean about $11.00 instead.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 3/23/2018 9:53 AM, ke9uw wrote:
>
>> None of this is mandatory. The cost of these updates would cost about
>> $1100
>> in parts kits.
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]