Quantcast

K3 problems

John-483
Has anybody on the list seen either of these problems. This is a copy
of what I sent to the service dept.

received K3/10 kit on Feb 28, Ser#501.

Assembly went well. I have assembled two K2's and a K1 with no
problems. I used an anti static mat and wrist band throughout assembly.

Problem#1

Upon power up, the K3 will not recognize the KAT3. I receive the ERR
IO1 msg. I removed the KAT3, powered up and did not get the ERR IO1
msg. Reinstalled the KAT3, power up,  get the ERR IO1 msg. I went
through the configuration steps, no help. I tried switching between
ant 1&2, and received a ATU not installed msg. Assume a faulty KAT3?

Problem#2

This one is a booger. I have a horrible S8 to S9 plus noise (sounds
like line noise), at various places throughout the 1.8 to at least 25
mhz. It shows up on the 160 thru 40 hams bands, misses 30M, shows up
again on 20M and 17M, misses 15M, shows up on 12M, clean on 10 &6M.
Using a non metallic tuning tool, if I put pressure on the little
mixer board I can cause it to go away or change. The sensitive area
is the component, looks like a transistor, three leads, that looks
like a pop rivet in the center. lower left on the board when looking
in from the front. I can't read a component number on the board. If I
put pressure on this component I can cause the noise to go away, or
shift off the freq I'm listening to. I removed, inspected, and
reinstalled the mixer board a couple of times, no change. The noise
must be being generated prior to the roofing filters because changing
the filters has effect on the noise, DSP does too.

There are no external antenna connections, the only connection to the
K3 is the power. The PS is a Astron and it powers my K2's and K1, so
it's not PS noise.

If you want, I can phone you and let you listen to the noise.....

Did I get the lemon?

John
k7up
K3, almost, maybe
K2's 2012, 2223
K1 637
Things are more like they are now then they've ever been before.

Re: K3 problems

Ken K3IU
John:
If you sent this info to <[hidden email]>, I suspect that you
will be hearing from someone very soon with help. If you didn't send it
to that address, I suggest that you do.
73,
Ken K3IU
K3 #202

John wrote:

> Has anybody on the list seen either of these problems. This is a copy
> of what I sent to the service dept.
>
> received K3/10 kit on Feb 28, Ser#501.
>
> Assembly went well. I have assembled two K2's and a K1 with no
> problems. I used an anti static mat and wrist band throughout assembly.
>
> Problem#1
>
> Upon power up, the K3 will not recognize the KAT3. I receive the ERR
> IO1 msg. I removed the KAT3, powered up and did not get the ERR IO1
> msg. Reinstalled the KAT3, power up,  get the ERR IO1 msg. I went
> through the configuration steps, no help. I tried switching between
> ant 1&2, and received a ATU not installed msg. Assume a faulty KAT3?
>
> Problem#2
>
> This one is a booger. I have a horrible S8 to S9 plus noise (sounds
> like line noise), at various places throughout the 1.8 to at least 25
> mhz. It shows up on the 160 thru 40 hams bands, misses 30M, shows up
> again on 20M and 17M, misses 15M, shows up on 12M, clean on 10 &6M.
> Using a non metallic tuning tool, if I put pressure on the little
> mixer board I can cause it to go away or change. The sensitive area is
> the component, looks like a transistor, three leads, that looks like a
> pop rivet in the center. lower left on the board when looking in from
> the front. I can't read a component number on the board. If I put
> pressure on this component I can cause the noise to go away, or shift
> off the freq I'm listening to. I removed, inspected, and reinstalled
> the mixer board a couple of times, no change. The noise must be being
> generated prior to the roofing filters because changing the filters
> has effect on the noise, DSP does too.
>
> There are no external antenna connections, the only connection to the
> K3 is the power. The PS is a Astron and it powers my K2's and K1, so
> it's not PS noise.
>
> If you want, I can phone you and let you listen to the noise.....
>
> Did I get the lemon?
>

> John
> k7up
> K3, almost, maybe
> K2's 2012, 2223
> K1 637
> Things are more like they are now then they've ever been before.

Re: K3 problems

John-483
I am receiving off reflector mails in re to my problem. I know others
may be interested in the out come and or final resolution, even if
it's due to a short between the headsets. 50 years of hamming, and
it's still a challenge and fun.

At 08:54 AM 02/03/08, you wrote:

>Has anybody on the list seen either of these problems. This is a
>copy of what I sent to the service dept.
>
>received K3/10 kit on Feb 28, Ser#501.
>
>Assembly went well. I have assembled two K2's and a K1 with no
>problems. I used an anti static mat and wrist band throughout assembly.
>
>Problem#1
>
>Upon power up, the K3 will not recognize the KAT3. I receive the ERR
>IO1 msg. I removed the KAT3, powered up and did not get the ERR IO1
>msg. Reinstalled the KAT3, power up,  get the ERR IO1 msg. I went
>through the configuration steps, no help. I tried switching between
>ant 1&2, and received a ATU not installed msg. Assume a faulty KAT3?
>
>Problem#2
>
>This one is a booger. I have a horrible S8 to S9 plus noise (sounds
>like line noise), at various places throughout the 1.8 to at least
>25 mhz. It shows up on the 160 thru 40 hams bands, misses 30M, shows
>up again on 20M and 17M, misses 15M, shows up on 12M, clean on 10
>&6M. Using a non metallic tuning tool, if I put pressure on the
>little mixer board I can cause it to go away or change. The
>sensitive area is the component, looks like a transistor, three
>leads, that looks like a pop rivet in the center. lower left on the
>board when looking in from the front. I can't read a component
>number on the board. If I put pressure on this component I can cause
>the noise to go away, or shift off the freq I'm listening to. I
>removed, inspected, and reinstalled the mixer board a couple of
>times, no change. The noise must be being generated prior to the
>roofing filters because changing the filters has effect on the
>noise, DSP does too.
>
>There are no external antenna connections, the only connection to
>the K3 is the power. The PS is a Astron and it powers my K2's and
>K1, so it's not PS noise.
>
>If you want, I can phone you and let you listen to the noise.....
>
>Did I get the lemon?
>

>John
>k7up
>K3, almost, maybe
>K2's 2012, 2223
>K1 637
>Things are more like they are now then they've ever been before.
>
>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K3 problems

M0XDF
John, please do let us know, since I'll put the resolution in the K3 Wiki

On 02/03/2008 20:15, "John" <[hidden email]> sent:

> I am receiving off reflector mails in re to my problem. I know others
> may be interested in the out come and or final resolution, even if
> it's due to a short between the headsets. 50 years of hamming, and
> it's still a challenge and fun.
>
> At 08:54 AM 02/03/08, you wrote:
>> Has anybody on the list seen either of these problems. This is a
>> copy of what I sent to the service dept.
>>
>> received K3/10 kit on Feb 28, Ser#501.
>>
>> Assembly went well. I have assembled two K2's and a K1 with no
>> problems. I used an anti static mat and wrist band throughout assembly.
>>
>> Problem#1
>>
>> Upon power up, the K3 will not recognize the KAT3. I receive the ERR
>> IO1 msg. I removed the KAT3, powered up and did not get the ERR IO1
>> msg. Reinstalled the KAT3, power up,  get the ERR IO1 msg. I went
>> through the configuration steps, no help. I tried switching between
>> ant 1&2, and received a ATU not installed msg. Assume a faulty KAT3?
>>
>> Problem#2
>>
>> This one is a booger. I have a horrible S8 to S9 plus noise (sounds
>> like line noise), at various places throughout the 1.8 to at least
>> 25 mhz. It shows up on the 160 thru 40 hams bands, misses 30M, shows
>> up again on 20M and 17M, misses 15M, shows up on 12M, clean on 10
>> &6M. Using a non metallic tuning tool, if I put pressure on the
>> little mixer board I can cause it to go away or change. The
>> sensitive area is the component, looks like a transistor, three
>> leads, that looks like a pop rivet in the center. lower left on the
>> board when looking in from the front. I can't read a component
>> number on the board. If I put pressure on this component I can cause
>> the noise to go away, or shift off the freq I'm listening to. I
>> removed, inspected, and reinstalled the mixer board a couple of
>> times, no change. The noise must be being generated prior to the
>> roofing filters because changing the filters has effect on the
>> noise, DSP does too.
>>
>> There are no external antenna connections, the only connection to
>> the K3 is the power. The PS is a Astron and it powers my K2's and
>> K1, so it's not PS noise.
>>
>> If you want, I can phone you and let you listen to the noise.....
>>
>> Did I get the lemon?
>>

>> John
>> k7up
>> K3, almost, maybe
>> K2's 2012, 2223
>> K1 637
>> Things are more like they are now then they've ever been before.
>>
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>> Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Cats know exactly how we feel.  They don't give a damnĀŠ
but they know.