K3 radio no receive no transmit

John K9UWA-2
My K3 is acting up a bit. No Receive No Transmit. I operate this radio
remotely so all I can tell you is that it appears to be all working as per the
HRD screen I am looking at. The radio appears to switch to transmit and I
hear the monitor CW being sent but no output on the wattmeter.  The only
noise coming from the radio is inter radio noise it the volume is turned to
max. A slight TAP on the top of the case and the radio goes back into
perfect normal operation. I am guessing that some plug someplace inside
the radio isn't making proper contact.

Does anyone have any idea which plug and its location?

Thanks
John k9uwa
John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
Antique Radio Restorations
[hidden email]
Visit our Web Site at:
http://www.JohnJeanAntiqueRadio.com
4836 Ranch Road
Leo, IN 46765
USA
1-260-637-6426

Re: K3 radio no receive no transmit

geoff allsup
Check the connections on the KSYN3 board(s) behind the front panel.

geoff - W1OH

Sent from my iPhone

Geoff Allsup, W1OH       [hidden email] or [hidden email]
Senior Engineer                         Upper Ocean Processes Group
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution            Woods Hole, MA

> On Apr 7, 2016, at 21:42, John K9UWA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My K3 is acting up a bit. No Receive No Transmit. I operate this radio
> remotely so all I can tell you is that it appears to be all working as per the
> HRD screen I am looking at. The radio appears to switch to transmit and I
> hear the monitor CW being sent but no output on the wattmeter.  The only
> noise coming from the radio is inter radio noise it the volume is turned to
> max. A slight TAP on the top of the case and the radio goes back into
> perfect normal operation. I am guessing that some plug someplace inside
> the radio isn't making proper contact.
>
> Does anyone have any idea which plug and its location?
>
> Thanks
> John k9uwa
> John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
> Antique Radio Restorations
> [hidden email]
> Visit our Web Site at:
> http://www.JohnJeanAntiqueRadio.com
> 4836 Ranch Road
> Leo, IN 46765
> USA
> 1-260-637-6426

Re: K3 radio no receive no transmit

John,

Don't forget to check the connections on the outside of the K3 as well.
A loose PL-259 connector could cause that same behavior.
PL-259s need to be tightened finger tight, and then given just a little
bit more tightening with pliers to assure a good connection to the coax
braid.

On 4/7/2016 9:42 PM, John K9UWA wrote:

> My K3 is acting up a bit. No Receive No Transmit. I operate this radio
> remotely so all I can tell you is that it appears to be all working as per the
> HRD screen I am looking at. The radio appears to switch to transmit and I
> hear the monitor CW being sent but no output on the wattmeter.  The only
> noise coming from the radio is inter radio noise it the volume is turned to
> max. A slight TAP on the top of the case and the radio goes back into
> perfect normal operation. I am guessing that some plug someplace inside
> the radio isn't making proper contact.
>
> Does anyone have any idea which plug and its location?

Re: K3 radio no receive no transmit

Russ Tobolic
Do you have the new KSYN3A?  I just experienced a similar problem but tapping on the case didn't solve anything. Elecraft support determined I have a bad synthesizer. Russ, N3CO