K3 - removable face plate

Bill W
Attended the ARRL Midwest Division Convention in Lebanon, MO  today and talked with Eric WA6HHQ and saw the new  "K3/0 mini" as it has been designated. had a brief chance to play with it as it was hooked up, via internet, to the home office California. No difference between it and the K3/0 available now except it is only about an 1.5 inches deep. Very very cool.
Eric said to keep an eye on the "Reflector" for an announcement on when orders will start being taken. Possibly very, very soon.
Regards,
Bill-W0BBI

Re: K3 - removable face plate

Bill-3
It is all about the size - I just want it for the desktop convenience at
my home station (much like the TS-480's face plate). No doubt it will be
very expensive - so be it. I have become accustomed to the high prices
of Elecraft. After all, you do get what you pay for!

Bill W2BLC  K-Line owner (and pleased with it)

Re: K3 - removable face plate

Don Wilhelm-4
"high prices of Elecraft" - compare the price of a fully loaded K3 with
other top of the line transceivers, and I think you will find that
Elecraft is the "economy spread".  Certainly, you can find transceivers
at a much lesser price, but if you value performance, you will find that
Elecraft gear is less expensive than transceivers with comparable
performance - check the Sherwood ratings and compare the prices of those
close to the ratings for Elecraft.  On that basis, Elecraft is bargain
priced.

On 11/8/2013 7:48 PM, Bill W2BLC wrote:
> It is all about the size - I just want it for the desktop convenience
> at my home station (much like the TS-480's face plate). No doubt it
> will be very expensive - so be it. I have become accustomed to the
> high prices of Elecraft. After all, you do get what you pay for!
>
> Bill W2BLC  K-Line owner (and pleased with it)

Re: K3 - removable face plate

Keith Heimbold
I am getting very excited!!! Can't wait to order a couple of these.

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

> On Nov 8, 2013, at 5:02 PM, "Don Wilhelm" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> "high prices of Elecraft" - compare the price of a fully loaded K3 with other top of the line transceivers, and I think you will find that Elecraft is the "economy spread".  Certainly, you can find transceivers at a much lesser price, but if you value performance, you will find that Elecraft gear is less expensive than transceivers with comparable performance - check the Sherwood ratings and compare the prices of those close to the ratings for Elecraft.  On that basis, Elecraft is bargain priced.

>> On 11/8/2013 7:48 PM, Bill W2BLC wrote:
>> It is all about the size - I just want it for the desktop convenience at my home station (much like the TS-480's face plate). No doubt it will be very expensive - so be it. I have become accustomed to the high prices of Elecraft. After all, you do get what you pay for!
>>
>> Bill W2BLC  K-Line owner (and pleased with it)

Re: K3 - removable face plate

Bill-3
Hi Don,

Like I said - you get what you pay for.

Bill W2BLC

Re: K3 - removable face plate

Bill Frantz
I'm beginning to think about replacing the Icom 706M2G in my
4Runner. -- Using a K3 has spoiled me. A small operation face
plate will be a big advantage for any radio that I install. From
Elecraft I will look at the KX3 and a "remote rig" K3, but both
may be larger than the available space in the center console and
I'm not sure the K3 will fit under the passenger seat.

BTW - I do mostly HF SSB and VHF FM from the 4Runner. As a
passenger, I could also operate digital. CW is a dream, but my
first (and currently only) CW QSO was just a couple of weeks ago
and I definitely need more seasoning. Ten watts on 80M with a
screwdriver antenna is very marginal, so 100W seems the next step.

Does anyone have any advice?

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

Re: K3 - removable face plate

Nr4c
You guys do realize this is not a 'removable face-plate', but a very thin K3/0.

...bill nr4c

Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm beginning to think about replacing the Icom 706M2G in my
>4Runner. -- Using a K3 has spoiled me. A small operation face
>plate will be a big advantage for any radio that I install. From
>Elecraft I will look at the KX3 and a "remote rig" K3, but both
>may be larger than the available space in the center console and
>I'm not sure the K3 will fit under the passenger seat.
>
>BTW - I do mostly HF SSB and VHF FM from the 4Runner. As a
>passenger, I could also operate digital. CW is a dream, but my
>first (and currently only) CW QSO was just a couple of weeks ago
>and I definitely need more seasoning. Ten watts on 80M with a
>screwdriver antenna is very marginal, so 100W seems the next step.
>
>Does anyone have any advice?
>
>Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

Re: K3 - removable face plate

Bill-3
Based upon over 40 years of HF mobile operation from tubes to solid
state (used about all of them). Smaller is better - modern cars offer
little space and cannot support heavy weight equipment.

I use a Kenwood TS-480 with the auto-tuner (100 Watt version) in my
Tahoe and find it does very well. I have a console unit that I built
that holds the face plate and the face plate for a 2-meter/440 rig also.
The antennas used are HamSticks - yes the $26 dollar antennas. They
really do work well and I can see no reason to have anything more
expensive. Notice, I did not say "better" - I said more expensive. I
have owned a few of the expensive well known HF antennas for mobile use
and found them to be unwieldy, touchy in the maintenance department, and
absurdly expensive.

I rag chew very successfully with my HamSticks - 40 and 80 meters. When
comparing them to the expensive all banders, they held their own. After
all, when using terribly inefficient antennas, a couple of percent
points difference one way or the other makes little difference.

On 75 meters the auto-tuner feature of the 480 allows the 80 meter
antenna to operate from 3900 to 4000 quite well. 40 meters is 7100 to
7300. By the way, 17 meters is a fine mobile band.

Would the K3 be a better mobile rig? Probably yes. A better tuner and
better abilities to handle noise. Would it be worth the additional
expense? Not to my thinking. The biggest drawback is the physical size
of the rig - even if you have a "removable" faceplate. Now, if you could
use the full K-Line in the car - well, that would be super!

To the other responder:  Yes, I realize this is merely a K3/0 that
didn't get fed while it was growing up. Sometimes the runt of the litter
is the better choice. For physical reasons, having the ability to move
the faceplate around would be a real plus.

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: K3 - removable face plate

Allan Saul
I do hope that the factory installed a second serial port on this
unit. The existing high speed port for comms between the K3/Mini
and the K3/100 and another for CAT control and access to the K3_Utility
software. Right now you cannot access any of the really useful features
of the K3_Utility like Macros, Filter settings, Command Terminal without
taking a trip out to the remote site.

If you look at the other "remote" systems out there TS-480, IC-7100 etc they
all have a second com port available at the control head.

73 Allan ZS1LS