K3 transmit out of band question

GM4JJJ
I am hoping to use a K3 to transverter from 14 MHz to 144 MHz with an existing transverter.

I need to cover from 14.000 to about 14.400 MHz on transmit for the weak signal end of the band.

I believe that the K3 can be enabled via software to transmit outside the limits of the ham bands.

The question is do I require the general coverage bandpass filter option to allow transmission just for that extra 50 kHz above 14.350?

I will be using the transverter output not the HF antenna for this.

Many thanks.

73 from David GM4JJJ

Re: K3 transmit out of band question

GM4JJJ
Still not got a definitive answer to my question, which I repeat:

K3 - Do I require the general coverage bandpass filter option to allow transmission just for an extra 50 kHz above 14.350?  ( provided the radio is unlocked for transmit beyond the ham bands).

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 24 Feb 2016, at 14:24, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am hoping to use a K3 to transverter from 14 MHz to 144 MHz with an existing transverter.
>
> I need to cover from 14.000 to about 14.400 MHz on transmit for the weak signal end of the band.
>
> I believe that the K3 can be enabled via software to transmit outside the limits of the ham bands.
>
> The question is do I require the general coverage bandpass filter option to allow transmission just for that extra 50 kHz above 14.350?
>
> I will be using the transverter output not the HF antenna for this.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> 73 from David GM4JJJ

Re: K3 transmit out of band question

Don Wilhelm-4
David,

Transmission only 50 kHz above the ham band should not be a problem.  If
you see a dropoff in receive sensitivity, than add the KBPF3.

On 2/25/2016 4:02 AM, David Anderson wrote:
> Still not got a definitive answer to my question, which I repeat:
>
> K3 - Do I require the general coverage bandpass filter option to allow transmission just for an extra 50 kHz above 14.350?  ( provided the radio is unlocked for transmit beyond the ham bands).

Re: K3 transmit out of band question

GM4JJJ
Perfect many thanks Don.

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 25 Feb 2016, at 12:17, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David,
>
> Transmission only 50 kHz above the ham band should not be a problem.  If you see a dropoff in receive sensitivity, than add the KBPF3.

>> On 2/25/2016 4:02 AM, David Anderson wrote:
>> Still not got a definitive answer to my question, which I repeat:
>>
>> K3 - Do I require the general coverage bandpass filter option to allow transmission just for an extra 50 kHz above 14.350?  ( provided the radio is unlocked for transmit beyond the ham bands).

Re: K3 transmit out of band question

GM4JJJ
Thanks also to Ken K3IU who has tested his K3 with and without the general coverage bandpass filter enabled and found no difference in receive sensitivity between 14.350and 14.400.

Question answered!

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 25 Feb 2016, at 12:46, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Perfect many thanks Don.
>
> 73 from David GM4JJJ
>
>> On 25 Feb 2016, at 12:17, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> David,
>>
>> Transmission only 50 kHz above the ham band should not be a problem.  If you see a dropoff in receive sensitivity, than add the KBPF3.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>>> On 2/25/2016 4:02 AM, David Anderson wrote:
>>> Still not got a definitive answer to my question, which I repeat:
>>>
>>> K3 - Do I require the general coverage bandpass filter option to allow transmission just for an extra 50 kHz above 14.350?  ( provided the radio is unlocked for transmit beyond the ham bands).

Re: K3 transmit out of band question [ANSWERED]

GM4JJJ
Elecraft have confirmed

"You would not need to use the KBPF3 for only 50 kHz out of band on 20M"

Great news.

Thanks to all you great folks.

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 25 Feb 2016, at 13:40, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks also to Ken K3IU who has tested his K3 with and without the general coverage bandpass filter enabled and found no difference in receive sensitivity between 14.350and 14.400.
>
> Question answered!
>
> 73 from David GM4JJJ
>
>> On 25 Feb 2016, at 12:46, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Perfect many thanks Don.
>>
>> 73 from David GM4JJJ
>>
>>> On 25 Feb 2016, at 12:17, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> Transmission only 50 kHz above the ham band should not be a problem.  If you see a dropoff in receive sensitivity, than add the KBPF3.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

Re: K3 transmit out of band question [ANSWERED]

Bert Rollen
Rats.  I was hoping for a broader answer.

I have a custom 432 DEMI transverter with a *26* Mhz IF.

Any ideas how well / if the K3 transverter output would work on 26 Mhz?  (I
have the KBPF3)

Thanks,

Bert - K4AR

Bert Rollen, PMP
[hidden email]
865-599-6074

"You would not need to use the KBPF3 for only 50 kHz out of band on 20M"

Great news.

Thanks to all you great folks.

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 25 Feb 2016, at 13:40, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks also to Ken K3IU who has tested his K3 with and without the general
coverage bandpass filter enabled and found no difference in receive
sensitivity between 14.350and 14.400.

> Question answered!
>
> 73 from David GM4JJJ
>
>> On 25 Feb 2016, at 12:46, David Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Perfect many thanks Don.
>>
>> 73 from David GM4JJJ
>>
>>> On 25 Feb 2016, at 12:17, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> Transmission only 50 kHz above the ham band should not be a problem.  If
you see a dropoff in receive sensitivity, than add the KBPF3.

>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

transmission just for an extra 50 kHz above 14.350?  ( provided the radio is
unlocked for transmit beyond the ham bands).

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: K3 transmit out of band question [ANSWERED]

Bert Rollen
Thanks David,

I do not need 27 Mhz, (just need lower end of 26 Mhz) so hopefully all would
work fine.

In fact, I do not need the PA enabled at all.

I will drop Elecraft a note soon.  (I do, BTW, have the KBPF3.)

One question perhaps may still be answered here; would I have to have a
special version of firmware each time the same is updated?  Or is the
unlocking software a one-time application?

Bert

Bert Rollen, PMP
[hidden email]
865-599-6074