K3 transverter question

William Lagerberg
Dear fellow Elecraft users,

I have build a 70 Mhz transverter, i have read the K3 manual about how to connect a transverter.

I have in my K3 the build in 2 meter transverter, and i do understand that the 144 Mhz transverter, also uses 28-30 Mhz.

What is the best way to solve this,

I have seen that Elecrafts own transverters, can be daisy chained. Can i build that into my own transverters ?? I like to have the possibility to connect more transverters then this one.

Is there more documentation available and where can i find that.

I o have the building transverter option in my K3 KXV3A or B i don't now i have the latest one still have to be build in.

Thanks all ready for all your advices.

William PE3BSB

K2, K3, KX3

Re: K3 transverter question

Don Wilhelm
William,

If you arrange your transverters like the 28MHz input/output is like
that in the XV series transverters - i.e. there is a relay that opens
the connection to those IF connections when power is off - and
importantly, you assure that no two transverters are on at the same
time, then you can daisy-chain the 28MHz input/output just like the
Elecraft transverters.
See the schematic in the XV series Owner's manual - IF and Control
Schematic.

The XV series transverters rely on the setting the Band Select switches
for the transverter band to be used in conjunction with the firmware in
the XV transverter listening to the AUXBUS signalling to determine which
transverter is to be selected (and powered on). That part would be
difficult to duplicate because the XV firmware and Auxbus protocol is
Elecraft proprietary, but you could use the band data outputs from the
K3 ACC connector and some logic to determine which transverter is to be
selected and power it on.  The implementation is "up to the builder".

For the transverter band setup in the K3, refer to the manual page 18
and 19 for the Band Data outputs for the transverters and match that to
the "XVn" settings in the K3 menu chart toward the end of the manual to
accomplish what you desire.

There is no other documentation that I am aware of.